Pool Needs More Ralf Souquet's!

Krypto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that this is a "Winning is everything," World, but I am so pleased for the world to see how a gentleman and a true professional handles himself after a heartbreaking loss. Souquet isn't crying about the tables playing too fast, the pockets being too loose, the referees making a bad call, or any other of the hundreds of other excuses our typical Generation X cry babies have learned to use. Instead, Souquet complimented his opponent on his exceptional play and thanked the Filipino host country for their kind fans and their love of pool.

Ralf Souquet, you are one of the top pool players in the World, one of the most consistent winners every year, and you are a class act (win or lose). I have no doubt that that World Championship will be yours again (if you want it). But for now, please accept my thanks for showing the world the character and the mutual respect that it takes to be a winner in pool, and in life.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Ralf's really one cool dude (check out his website). Definitely one of the best pool has to offer!

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Krypto said:
I know that this is a "Winning is everything," World, but I am so pleased for the world to see how a gentleman and a true professional handles himself after a heartbreaking loss. Souquet isn't crying about the tables playing too fast, the pockets being too loose, the referees making a bad call, or any other of the hundreds of other excuses our typical Generation X cry babies have learned to use. Instead, Souquet complimented his opponent on his exceptional play and thanked the Filipino host country for their kind fans and their love of pool.

Ralf Souquet, you are one of the top pool players in the World, one of the most consistent winners every year, and you are a class act (win or lose). I have no doubt that that World Championship will be yours again (if you want it). But for now, please accept my thanks for showing the world the character and the mutual respect that it takes to be a winner in pool, and in life.

Tap Tap Tap!

Ralf is a class act and a great player.

psychoblinker

where's my milk?!
Silver Member
Krypto said:

hear hear!! souquet is one of the true gentleman of the sport. much respect to him for his great showing!! "The Kaiser" will rule again for sure!!

suckershot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Krypto said:

I agree for the most part with what you said. Ralf Souquet is a gentleman and a class act.

But I will say, that from news printed on the WPC website, he did complain about Alcano's soft break. I mean, he didn't specifically complain about Alcano himself, but he did mention that he didn't like the soft break and thought the rules should be changed. To bring this topic up directly after losing makes him seem a little bit like a sore loser.

To his credit, he did very much compliment his opponent on his fine play, and that he (Alcano) deserved the title. But I still say it seems a bad time to bring up the soft break and how he doesn't like it. It sounds like an excuse, even though he didn't use it as such.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Krypto said:

Excellent post. I agree. I would like to play and compose myself just like Ralf.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Krypto said:

Ralf is a real professional in every sense of the word.

I have the pleasure of signing with him as his jump break cue sponsor, and I cannot begin to say enough nice things about him. My sales has really increased since his endorsement, and I have lots of customers from Germany contacting me because Ralf actually went and talked to these people about the X Breaker, and helped them to figure out the weight they should use and so on.

Ralf is gracious when he lost, and modest when he wins. He always wears very nice cloth on and off the table, and represents the sports and his sponsors very well. Ralf has set a perfect example of how a professional should behave.

I would not hesitate to recommend Ralf to anyone looking for a pro player representative.

Attachments

• ralfweb.JPG
    ralfweb.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,357

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Krypto said:

Great post! Agreed 100%!

cuycuy

Raya Representative
Silver Member
suckershot said:
I agree for the most part with what you said. Ralf Souquet is a gentleman and a class act.

But I will say, that from news printed on the WPC website, he did complain about Alcano's soft break. I mean, he didn't specifically complain about Alcano himself, but he did mention that he didn't like the soft break and thought the rules should be changed. To bring this topic up directly after losing makes him seem a little bit like a sore loser.

To his credit, he did very much compliment his opponent on his fine play, and that he (Alcano) deserved the title. But I still say it seems a bad time to bring up the soft break and how he doesn't like it. It sounds like an excuse, even though he didn't use it as such.

Well, if Ralf did say this, he's just echoing a lot of feelings that players have after being beaten by the soft break. As an organizer, I've seen Alcano himself complain about it in the 1st National Championships when he lost to Pagulayan because of the soft break. He wasn't complaining about it when he won with his own version of it in the 2006 WPC.

It happened yet again in the 2nd national championships, when a lot of the top players again complained about it. I don't think Ralf is alone among pros when complaining over the soft break.

I feel the soft break is still a real advantage over the hard break once a true pro gets it going. The key here is finding a soft break that works in a competition, which (from my observations of pros seeking it during competitions we run) is harder to pull off than it seems. If a player does find it, is it because of luck? is it skill? practice time on a table? These are still issues to be resolved for the game of 9-ball.

The WPC philosophy is to try and make the racks as consistent as possible without resorting to devices like the Sardo rack. The referees usually pre-set the rack face with chalk while nailing the balls in place for a consistent rack. I still think this is still the best answer to running a 9-ball tournament for an organizer, and to let the players find the best way (soft or hard) to win it all.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
cuycuy said:
Well, if Ralf did say this, he's just echoing a lot of feelings that players have after being beaten by the soft break. As an organizer, I've seen Alcano himself complain about it in the 1st National Championships when he lost to Pagulayan because of the soft break. He wasn't complaining about it when he won with his own version of it in the 2006 WPC.

It happened yet again in the 2nd national championships, when a lot of the top players again complained about it. I don't think Ralf is alone among pros when complaining over the soft break.

I feel the soft break is still a real advantage over the hard break once a true pro gets it going. The key here is finding a soft break that works in a competition, which (from my observations of pros seeking it during competitions we run) is harder to pull off than it seems. If a player does find it, is it because of luck? is it skill? practice time on a table? These are still issues to be resolved for the game of 9-ball.

The WPC philosophy is to try and make the racks as consistent as possible without resorting to devices like the Sardo rack. The referees usually pre-set the rack face with chalk while nailing the balls in place for a consistent rack. I still think this is still the best answer to running a 9-ball tournament for an organizer, and to let the players find the best way (soft or hard) to win it all.

Right on, Freddie. There is skill to finding the soft break that works. And Ronnie did it in the 2006 WPC. Ten Ball will change all this though. it will be a whole new ball game.

RacerNerd

Registered
Video Link

I thought this was an amazing interview after the match when Souquet gets a tear and the crowd chants "Souquet!". I saw it a few years past but now I can't seem to find it in my searches. I would really like to see it again if possible. Does anyone have a link to the video of this interview?

I finally found the interview from the 2006 World Pool Championships in the Philippines so hopefully someone else appreciates it http://youtu.be/QJN7OmDynn0?t=2m45s
Where else do you see a pro wear his heart on his sleeve like this?
A fine exhibition of character.

Last edited:

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
one of my favorite pro's for sure....TOTAL CLASS ACT....i am not sure if he has ever met a stranger....

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great positive post about a very positive player....

And to tell you the truth. I wouldn't even think twice to check the rack If Ralf was racking the balls for me. Even on the hill.

I have allot of respect for this guy myself.

He's great for the sport for sure............

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rude

i saw him sharking a lesser known player at the derby involving the guys cell phone.the cell was in the guys case! He called a ref & the ref sided with ralf
I think because of his status.the guy had him in the banks .
sh*t like that do happen

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw him sharking a lesser known player at the derby involving the guys cell phone.the cell was in the guys case! He called a ref & the ref sided with ralf
I think because of his status.the guy had him in the banks .
sh*t like that do happen

If the cell phone was in the guy's case, how did Ralf know it was there? Maybe because it rang? In which case he would be right to get the ref.

Ralf is a gentleman all the way.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentleman

I had the pleasure of playing Ralf in the 2004 U.S. Open and he proved to be not only a true professional, but a true gentleman as well. It was an experience for me watching Ralf run 2 or 3 racks in a row every time he came to the table and then when I got a turn at the table I'd be locked up behind a ball, of course. I managed to win 1 game in this 11 to1 beat down and all the while Ralf was a true professional and a true gentleman as he took care of his business. I was able to have a conversation with Ralf after our match and a couple more during the week and he truly exhibited these 2 qualities each time.

Last edited: