Buddy Hall "Tuck & Roll"

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am watching the Buddy Hall video on his clock face method and he is showing things about the stroke. He talks about the tuck and roll on shots with left and right spin and even comes back to it at the end of the video. i would love to hear thoughts on this. by the way i love the clock method it changes the way i am looking at shots.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this sh1t

WTF is tuck n roll?

...not the 57 chevy custom interior, right?

...not duck n cover to survive a nuclear attack, right?

Clearly, IDK..

Somebody gotta know, help the brotha out.:smile:

ps: OP, welcome aboard..you may get more response if you INSULT SOMEBODY, while posing your question..:eek:

Or use lotsa polarizing terms like CTE, ELBOW DROP, LD SHAFT. FANBOY, BUDDY HALL DUMPS TUCK N ROLL ....stuff like that IN THE TITLE...to generate traffic to your thread...:thumbup:

Somewhere in the crossfire, you question may get answered.

Gross misspellings help two, and use I seen evry chance u get.:cool:

...just sayin'....when, in Rome..

...your welcome..

..take care

...have a super sparkly day:rolleyes:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i am watching the Buddy Hall video on his clock face method and he is showing things about the stroke. He talks about the tuck and roll on shots with left and right spin and even comes back to it at the end of the video. i would love to hear thoughts on this. by the way i love the clock method it changes the way i am looking at shots.
It just means twisting your wrist in or out to move the tip sideways and apply sidespin. Not recommended (unless you're Buddy).

pj
chgo

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just means twisting your wrist in or out to move the tip sideways and apply sidespin. Not recommended (unless you're Buddy).

pj
chgo

I agree.
This "tuck and roll" is idiosyncratic; Buddy learned it for himself; and it evidently works for HIM.

I wouldn't bother to pay too much attention to this "instruction."
Buddy offers excellent information via his "clock" method. Learn it, use it, and then
adapt it for YOUR own game.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Ignacio "The Mexican" Chavez also uses tuck and roll but he doesn't call it that. He said he learned it from some Phillipinos in California.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know what it is, can't explain it, don't know if it is legit, or useful...but pretty sure Earl uses it on most every shot.;)...because he can.:eek:

Sort of a mini side imparted gear effect mini masse, applied with a disguised pivot swipe, with a hammering, pinning downward massively long stroke.:groucho:

A close cousin to the draw 'drag' shot with severe english, that 'turns over' just as it reaches the ob. Except, not draw and no turn over.:p

Watch back hand.

Next level stuff...seldom discussed outside of the inner circle.:sorry:

Actually, idk....but would never admit that, or allow that fact to get in the way of a spirited debate and/or character assassination.:thumbup:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I would not discount the use of playing methods as some so quickly advocate.

I see a lot of rather good players of all ages that have their own idiosyncrasies & they play very well.

To take them away from them could be a big mistake as they might not then play so well.

The trick is to see & know if one is an issue or not or whether it may be an 'aid' to an individual.

Try whatever & if it works for you & you like it then put it in your tool box & use it.

Best Wishes,
Rick

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
★ Sisyphus learned different ways to push the boulder up the hill.

I know of other TOP PLAYERS that use Buddy's Tuck and Roll. It is not always referred to as tuck and roll.

Some people use it and don't even know they use it.

JoeyA

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will need to watch the Buddy Hall video to see if it is the same concept as what Bert Kinister teaches in one of his videos.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a method of BHE using the wrist instead of the entire arm. Just like any other instruction, it will work for some, not others. I learned tuck and roll as a kid, played over 20 years with regular shafts. When I moved to ld shafts, it wasnt needed, except I still do it on certain shots (mainly kill shots, or other speed sensitive shots where bhe feels better to me personally).

In reality, Buddy was one of the first to put a form of bhe on tape..... Be just called it by the slang name tuck and roll.

Last edited:

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF is tuck n roll?

Clearly, IDK..

ps: OP, welcome aboard..you may get more response if you INSULT SOMEBODY, while posing your question..:eek:

Or use lotsa polarizing terms like CTE, ELBOW DROP, LD SHAFT. FANBOY, BUDDY HALL DUMPS TUCK N ROLL ....stuff like that IN THE TITLE...to generate traffic to your thread...:thumbup:

...your welcome..

..take care

thanks for the very funny reply it made my day

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the tuck

i have been playing around with the tuck and roll and it feels very natural when not over done. i am able to stay more in the center or meaty part of the cueball and get great spin.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You know the shots you cut down the rail with low left and scratch in the opposite side? This technique gets you past the side every time. Good tool to have.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To bad Buddy Hall's life book can't be reprinted. I lost my copy during a bad moving experience.

Also I wish somebody would get with Buddy and print an instructional book. Far as I know he doesn't play much anymore so he wouldn't be giving away his methods.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF is tuck n roll?

Clearly, IDK..

...your welcome..

..take care

I heard tucking and rolling can cause blindness .

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
buddy hall

the clock system also gets me to play bigger angles and not play for straight in shots. it is so much easier to move whitey around by not forcing shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I would not discount the use of playing methods as some so quickly advocate.

I see a lot of rather good players of all ages that have their own idiosyncrasies & they play very well.

To take them away from them could be a big mistake as they might not then play so well.

The trick is to see & know if one is an issue or not or whether it may be a an 'aid' to an individual.

Try whatever & if it works for you & you like then put it in your tool box & use it.

Best Wishes,
Rick
Tuck and roll, like "swooping" backhand English, isn't recommended because it doesn't do anything that a straight stroke can't do more accurately and consistently.

Those who use it well (like Buddy) are welcome to it - but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody looking for advice. I also wouldn't recommend "try whatever" - that's no advice at all. We aren't doing anybody any favors by giving them the wrong impression that nothing is better than anything else. I recommend what's commonly considered best for most players - if that doesn't work out after a good effort, then try what's next best, etc.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Burt Kinister talks about it in his 'deflection' tape as a way to impart a lot of side spin with no deflection.

I see Earl do it a lot.

Question.....Does the full maple shaft crowd use it to avoid deflection?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burt Kinister talks about it in his 'deflection' tape as a way to impart a lot of side spin with no deflection.

I see Earl do it a lot.

Question.....Does the full maple shaft crowd use it to avoid deflection?

Correct, its another form of back hand english. If you watch Buddy, youll notice he plays short bridge lengths due to the shafts he chose to use. ;)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Tuck and roll, like "swooping" backhand English, isn't recommended because it doesn't do anything that a straight stroke can't do more accurately and consistently.

Those who use it well (like Buddy) are welcome to it - but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody looking for advice. I also wouldn't recommend "try whatever" - that's no advice at all. We aren't doing anybody any favors by giving them the wrong impression that nothing is better than anything else. I recommend what's commonly considered best for most players - if that doesn't work out after a good effort, then try what's next best, etc.

pj
chgo

And if one only follows common advice one will always be common.

I would guess that part of your problem is that your brain keeps you from trying things that might well make you a better player.

I've said it before that I am glad that I started playing the game several years before my first physics class.

I know what I can do with swiping that I can not do with normal BHE but we're not talking the same swiping. What you think swiping is is not what I & a few others here on AZB know what swiping really is.

Give it some thought & try to realize that these techniques were not all handed down from old players that would not divulge anything to anyone that did not KNOW what they were talking about.

Many of these techniques were gravitated to by individuals that were absorbed in the game & getting better & even absorbed in being the best that they could be & even absorbed with the goal of becoming the actual best.

Your the one that is not doing others any good other than keeping them at APA 3 level so there can be more APA teams.

Good Evening Patrick.

Last edited: