Tell 'em like it is, Alex!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Front page news this morning, an article about Alex Pagulayan, one of the most beloved pool players in the entire world, getting kicked off the Team Philippines for an upcoming Billiards and Snooker Congress of Philippines (BSCP) event.

Alex requested to be compensated if they were going to use his likeness on a televised pool match, and when he said show me the money, the BSCP promptly kicked him off the four-man team, replacing him with Jeffrey De Luna.

Pagulayan made the statement after the BSCP replaced him as a member of the four-man Philippine team that is scheduled to compete in the Guinness Asia 9-Ball Tour in Shanghai, China, on August 3-5. He also said that he had spent money for his plane fare to come, missed a couple of tournaments and exhibition matches, which deprived him of earnings. Pagulayan said it's good that they did this so "I can now go to media and tell them what has been happening".

Do you stand by with Alex's stance, or should he have kept quiet? I'm on Alex's side. The pool industry is the one making all the big bucks, while pool players scrape for crumbs. What say you?

JAM

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Totally behind Alex. I'm afraid that the powers that be are establishing a precedent though. More top players there have to join Alex. That's particularly difficult to arrange in the Phils where a player/gambler may not have as many opportunities for travel and earnings as here. Too bad the rest of them didn't boycott...Tom

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats right Jam he should be paid for his travel and time if he can't win enough money in the tournament to compensate, since he no longer lives there it wouldn't be a small amount for just airfare.

Leonard

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea of how, or if, players get paid when they are shown in advertising trailers or lead-ins to TV shows generally, or what the practice is in the Philippines or in commie China.

I find it odd that it is becomiing an issue a week before the tournament.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For whatever it's worth, pool players around the world should unite behind Alex and stand up for what is right.

Alex is one of the greatest pool players in the entire world, not just because he plays strong, but he's got personality-plus. Whatever event he steps foot in, everyone in attendance is in for a treat. He's genuine, funny, and loved by all. The BSCP just shot themselves in the foot with this move.

Go, Alex. You're one of my favorites! United we stand! :)

JAM

Attachments

• Alex and Keith.JPG
    Alex and Keith.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,775

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex lights up a whole room when he's in attendance.

Here's a shot taken at the 2003 Carolina Open, Alex posing here with North Carolinian Michael Coltrain. Alex won the 9-ball event and had the whole house pulling for him. He's a natural-born comedian, and his relaxed tableside demeanor complements his style of play!

When Alex is present, everybody is smiling and having a good time!

JAM

Attachments

• Alex and Mike.JPG
    Alex and Mike.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,776

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Alex seems to be getting screwed by the big boys. I don't like the "big boys". I don't trust authority figures anywhere, anytime.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
easy to support Alex

It is easy to support Alex who indeed seems to be one of the nicest guys in pool and always having fun as well as a hell of a player. The truth is that I don't know enough about the entire structure of the event or the Billiards Congress of the Philippines to make a fair assessment. At what level was Alex getting compensated to begin with? How was his image being used and for how long? It isn't clear if it was for a few seconds in an ad or the televised matches that he was kicking about.

Seems unlike Alex to kick unless something was really unfair but I will hold off jumping on any bandwagon until I have more facts than this little blurb.

Hu

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without having the full story behind what has gone on, I'm 100% beghind Alex, simply because it's the players that make the billiards industry as successful as it is, not the industry itself, and as far as I'm concerned, it's about time that the industry started giving a bit more back to the players, like they should been doing for many years now, instead of the players being constantly left at the shallow end of the money lake.

Like I said before, I don't know the full story of what has gone on between Alex and the BSCP, but I sincerely hope that Alex gets every penny back in what he paid in expences, plus make enough money from the tabloids, as to what he would've earned in exhibitions and/or tournaments.

Willie

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jam, It Crawfish

JAM said:
Alex lights up a whole room when he's in attendance.

Here's a shot taken at the 2003 Carolina Open, Alex posing here with North Carolinian Michael Coltrain. Alex won the 9-ball event and had the whole house pulling for him. He's a natural-born comedian, and his relaxed tableside demeanor complements his style of play!

When Alex is present, everybody is smiling and having a good time!

JAM
Hey, it's Coltrain. He was my "little cousin" for quite a while when he first was unknown. How's that story coming, from Keith? I am working on a couple of other players, also. Any input as far as interesting contacts you feel would be beneficial to the project? PM me.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with "shooting arts". We know far too little about this situation to make any judgements, and it is unfair to the other half of the conflict to speak negatively about them without having the facts.

The players may make the industry, but that is also true in pro sports like baseball, basketball, and football where players have become over paid whiners, like Jamarcus Russel who has never played a pro down in the NFL, and is demanding $30 million dollars.

Pool players are definately not over paid now, but we can not possibly know the circumstances surrounding this event with the info we currently have.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Professional pool players should have all these details agreed to up front. Sounds like Alex needs a manager.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to say alot on this issue with the limited details that are known. But for the moment I would have to side with Alex all the way simply because of the sacrifices he has made in the past for the BSCP. Keep in mind Alex doesn't travel from the Philippines to these events like many of his countrymen, he travels even further. I can only imagine the travel expenses he must have and fully understand him wanted to be compensated to some extent for the use of his image...seems more than fair to me.

But I think we should all wait until all the facts come out before we come to a final conclusion on this one.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
Professional pool players should have all these details agreed to up front.

Absolutely. Is there a contract between Alex and the BSCP ? One would expect this in the relationship between a professional athlete and his employer/team/sponsor (regardless of the sport). If no contract exists, then it's up to the individuals involved to seek a settlement or injunction through the court system, and shame on the pro and sport for being so bush league, they have no right to be calling themselves professionals if they don't paper over the details !

In general I feel that if a group uses the image of a pro for promotion, the pro deserves consideration (again, regardless of the sport).

Dave

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the reason pro's need agents. To be the bad guy and keep the talent from any negative situations. Yet getting what the talent wants. This could have been worked out but what I suspect is that Alex took it upon himself to deal with it and he is known to be emotionally demonstrative. Dealing with the suits has always been a different proposition than running a rack. Lawyer up the next time.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
It is easy to support Alex who indeed seems to be one of the nicest guys in pool and always having fun as well as a hell of a player. The truth is that I don't know enough about the entire structure of the event or the Billiards Congress of the Philippines to make a fair assessment. At what level was Alex getting compensated to begin with? How was his image being used and for how long? It isn't clear if it was for a few seconds in an ad or the televised matches that he was kicking about.

Seems unlike Alex to kick unless something was really unfair but I will hold off jumping on any bandwagon until I have more facts than this little blurb.

Hu

Here's some more info, or better yet the entire article.

Alex Pagulayan Accuses BSCP of Getting Back at Him

2004 World Pool Champion Alex Pagulayan has accused the Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines of being vindictive following his refusal to participate in a TV program series being produced for Philippine television.

Pagulayan revealed that when he was called to a meeting about the TV show he made it clear that he was a professional and ?money talks? adding that "?if they want to use me and make money off me, I need to make money too".? His statements were apparently not well received. Neither was his demand to be compensated. He said "so now they are getting back at me."

Pagulayan made the statement after the BSCP replaced him as a member of the four-man Philippine team that is scheduled to compete in the Guinness Asia 9-Ball Tour in Shanghai. China on August 3-5. He also said that he had ?spent money for his plane fare to come, missed a couple of tournaments and exhibition matches? which deprived him of earnings. Pagulayan said ?its good that they did this so "I can now go to media and tell them what has been happening".?

BSCP president Ernesto Fajardo told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that Pagulayan was replaced because he was ?clowning around too much in the semi finals of the Singapore leg? of the tour. However, Fajardo admitted that the sponsors of the tour, Guinness and the TV broadcaster ESPN Star Sports had not complained about Pagulayan'?s antics which is an integral part of his character and which fans have often appreciated because, as Pagulayan says, "?I entertain the fans".?

Fajardo said the decision to replace Pagulayan with Jeffrey De Luna was made by the BSCP executive committee since the Guiness 9-Ball Tour was ?sanctioned by the Asian Pocket Billiards Union and the World Pool Association and the invitation to nominate two players was coursed through the BSCP which is the National Sports Association.

Pagulayan lost an exciting match against Malaysia's Ibrahim Amir 11-13 where both men played some great shots. ESPN reported that a visibly disappointed Pagulayan said "it was a bad loss for me to take because I really wanted to make my country proud and produce our first winner this year." Pagulayan said he was "hoping to make up for the loss in Shanghai" but has, by the action of the BSCP been denied that chance and he clearly feels bad about it.

By Ronnie Nathanielsz - July 28, 2007

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
separate events

It wasn't clear that two separate events were involved. It does sound like the executive committee decided to can Alex because of his refusal to participate in something else for free that should not have been related.

Based on this information and unless something different comes to light, kudos to Alex for standing up for himself and going public. Everyone has different styles at the table and nobody is claiming that his style hampered his play so taking him off the team at apparently a late date does appear to be purely vindictive.

Hu

juegabillar said:
Here's some more info, or better yet the entire article.

Alex Pagulayan Accuses BSCP of Getting Back at Him

2004 World Pool Champion Alex Pagulayan has accused the Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines of being vindictive following his refusal to participate in a TV program series being produced for Philippine television.

Pagulayan revealed that when he was called to a meeting about the TV show he made it clear that he was a professional and ?money talks? adding that "?if they want to use me and make money off me, I need to make money too".? His statements were apparently not well received. Neither was his demand to be compensated. He said "so now they are getting back at me."

Pagulayan made the statement after the BSCP replaced him as a member of the four-man Philippine team that is scheduled to compete in the Guinness Asia 9-Ball Tour in Shanghai. China on August 3-5. He also said that he had ?spent money for his plane fare to come, missed a couple of tournaments and exhibition matches? which deprived him of earnings. Pagulayan said ?its good that they did this so "I can now go to media and tell them what has been happening".?

BSCP president Ernesto Fajardo told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that Pagulayan was replaced because he was ?clowning around too much in the semi finals of the Singapore leg? of the tour. However, Fajardo admitted that the sponsors of the tour, Guinness and the TV broadcaster ESPN Star Sports had not complained about Pagulayan'?s antics which is an integral part of his character and which fans have often appreciated because, as Pagulayan says, "?I entertain the fans".?

Fajardo said the decision to replace Pagulayan with Jeffrey De Luna was made by the BSCP executive committee since the Guiness 9-Ball Tour was ?sanctioned by the Asian Pocket Billiards Union and the World Pool Association and the invitation to nominate two players was coursed through the BSCP which is the National Sports Association.

Pagulayan lost an exciting match against Malaysia's Ibrahim Amir 11-13 where both men played some great shots. ESPN reported that a visibly disappointed Pagulayan said "it was a bad loss for me to take because I really wanted to make my country proud and produce our first winner this year." Pagulayan said he was "hoping to make up for the loss in Shanghai" but has, by the action of the BSCP been denied that chance and he clearly feels bad about it.

By Ronnie Nathanielsz - July 28, 2007