Is Jeff De Luna's break legal?

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
I'm watching the WPC TV match right now. It's De Luna vs. Corteza. De Luna breaks the balls with tremendous power, but he jumps straight up in the air. Don't you have to leave at least one foot on the ground when striking the cueball, with the break being no exception. How come the ref hasn't called a foul? Is it just me, or is the ref overlooking this?:confused:

Sprite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good question. But it is hard to tell because you are watching it on TV view.

Somehustler

Registered
it seems like he makes contact while his feet are on the ground, but as he follows through his forward momentum lifts him off the ground. But I would assume his argument is that at least part of one foot is touching the ground when he makes contact which would be the legal part. Either way he has got an amazing break sounds like a bomb going off!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
ABall said:
I'm watching the WPC TV match right now. It's De Luna vs. Corteza. De Luna breaks the balls with tremendous power, but he jumps straight up in the air. Don't you have to leave at least one foot on the ground when striking the cueball, with the break being no exception. How come the ref hasn't called a foul? Is it just me, or is the ref overlooking this?:confused:

Do you really think he leaves the ground before he strikes the cueball?

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is not airborne whenever he struck the CB. it's his momentum after hitting the CB that makes him lift. the lift is after the hit and not before or during.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
He is not airborne whenever he struck the CB. it's his momentum after hitting the CB that makes him lift. the lift is after the hit and not before or during.

Ok, even so...his cue is still moving forward for the break shot when he jumps. We all know that the follow thru is just as important to the shot as actually hitting the cue ball is. I'm just wondering what the technical rule is because I've heard Danny Deliberto mention on Accustats that both your feet can't leave the playing surface anytime while down for the shot.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
ABall said:
Ok, even so...his cue is still moving forward for the break shot when he jumps. We all know that the follow thru is just as important to the shot as actually hitting the cue ball is. I'm just wondering what the technical rule is because I've heard Danny Deliberto mention on Accustats that both your feet can't leave the playing surface anytime while down for the shot.

Danny is wrong. It's perfectly alright to lift your feet of the ground while you're down on the shot, but when the tip hits the cueball, one of your feet has to be on the ground. Ruleswise the "shot" happens when the tip hits the cueball, not when you're down on the shot.

No way Jeff de Luna can create such a tremendous break if his feet leave the ground before the tip hits the cueball. He'd lose a lot of power if this was to be true...

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:

I see, what you are saying is with regards to shooting or pocketing a ball during an extension where a player needs to extend his body. in any case, regardless if it's during an extension, I believe it's not a foul if a player leaves both his feet off the ground after a shot or pocketing a ball. ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
De Luna breaks exactly like Evgey Stalev "The Russian" -- EXACTLY.

The problem with that break is cue ball control.

JAM

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mjantti said:
Danny is wrong. It's perfectly alright to lift your feet of the ground while you're down on the shot, but when the tip hits the cueball, one of your feet has to be on the ground. Ruleswise the "shot" happens when the tip hits the cueball, not when you're down on the shot.

No way Jeff de Luna can create such a tremendous break if his feet leave the ground before the tip hits the cueball. He'd lose a lot of power if this was to be true...

unless he's a bird of prey ! :D :D :D

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
JAM said:
De Luna breaks exactly like Evgey Stalev "The Russian" -- EXACTLY.

The problem with that break is cue ball control.

JAM

Yeah, I don't see how he can contol the cueball with any consistency, but he did pretty well that match. It's a very impressive break. I guess I'm satissfied that this is not a foul, not like I wanted it to be a foul. I think it's much more entertaining to see the guy get up and crush the rack!! They interviewed De Luna before the match; he said that he will never break soft.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:
Yeah, I don't see how he can contol the cueball with any consistency, but he did pretty well that match. It's a very impressive break. I guess I'm satissfied that this is not a foul, not like I wanted it to be a foul. I think it's much more entertaining to see the guy get up and crush the rack!! They interviewed De Luna before the match; he said that he will never break soft.

I saw the Russian breaking like that about 3 or 4 years ago. He was practicing at a Joss tournament in Pennsylvania. Sometimes when he came down for landing after he pulled the trigger, his knee would end up landing on the corner pocket of the table. Quite unusual. It is a great break, except sometimes the cueball would fly off the table.

Santos was there and started practicing this break, like The Russian, trying to immitate him.

All the Europeans have that hop break. They hop up like a rabbit. :D

JAM

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:

that's nice. nobody likes to watch a soft or a wussy break, only the players who use it to their advantage. I can only hope that next year's WPC would no longer be 9 ball but 10 ball. let's just see if someone would still utilize the wussy break. :D :D :D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Also

Oi from Japan has a pretty sporty break too, especially for being such a lightweight ... LOL I see that Ralf came back and beat Oi after being down 2-4. Niels also won after being down.

Pat Holtz has been holding out on us. His very cute wife was there watching him play, but things didn't go his way. So, I guess kilts do have a certain type of appeal, huh, Pat? :rolleyes:

Orcollo got beat, and is already home.

cuycuy

Raya Representative
Silver Member
Having taken Jeffrey's photos for awhile now, I have to say his foot is planted when he strikes the ball... :cool:

jeffrey1.jpg

jeffrey2.jpg

jeffrey3.jpg

jeffrey4.jpg

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
JAM said:
I saw the Russian breaking like that about 3 or 4 years ago. He was practicing at a Joss tournament in Pennsylvania. Sometimes when he came down for landing after he pulled the trigger, his knee would end up landing on the corner pocket of the table. Quite unusual. It is a great break, except sometimes the cueball would fly off the table.

JAM
Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2X4fW262M