Argue or agree with me

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few points that seem to be totally different than when I left the game so many years ago. Argue or agree?

Texas Express- Ten ball verses nine ball is one thing, but what is wrong with express? I figure the break is/should be a big part of the game. If I break, make the one and one/two more, why should you come to the table with basically no shot because of my screw up?

Ten ball or nine ball?- I understand that ten makes for a more difficult break and somewhat of a more difficult run out. But this only affects the top few percentile in the game anyway. Maybe a major tournament should/could be ten ball, but that is it. I have always believed that most people should play six or seven ball. I liken it to golf. The game needs to be doing things to encourage people to say around, not make it more difficult.

Call your shot- Come on! Between two competent players, how much luck is involved? The rolls will play a much higher percentage than any lucked balls. I understand calling your shot in one pocket or 14.1. But in any other game, all calling your shot is good for is starting a fight in the bar.

Alternate breaks- I absolutely hate this and can not think of one good thing it does. Especially, at the top level. I can break and run out. If I am going to pay good money to attend a tournament, I want to watch Earl put a six pack on someone. Not run out and then sit down. This makes absolutely no sense to me!

Maybe I am like sort of like Fast Eddie. He grew up in the 14.1 era and then had to live in the nine ball era later. I started in the The Color Of Money era, and that is the way I think is the best.

Nine ball may be for bangers. But the thing is everybody is doing it. There's a lot of guys doing it.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I have a few points that seem to be totally different than when I left the game so many years ago. Argue or agree?

Texas Express- Ten ball verses nine ball is one thing, but what is wrong with express? I figure the break is/should be a big part of the game. If I break, make the one and one/two more, why should you come to the table with basically no shot because of my screw up?

Ten ball or nine ball?- I understand that ten makes for a more difficult break and somewhat of a more difficult run out. But this only affects the top few percentile in the game anyway. Maybe a major tournament should/could be ten ball, but that is it. I have always believed that most people should play six or seven ball. I liken it to golf. The game needs to be doing things to encourage people to say around, not make it more difficult.

Call your shot- Come on! Between two competent players, how much luck is involved? The rolls will play a much higher percentage than any lucked balls. I understand calling your shot in one pocket or 14.1. But in any other game, all calling your shot is good for is starting a fight in the bar.

Alternate breaks- I absolutely hate this and can not think of one good thing it does. Especially, at the top level. I can break and run out. If I am going to pay good money to attend a tournament, I want to watch Earl put a six pack on someone. Not run out and then sit down. This makes absolutely no sense to me!

Maybe I am like sort of like Fast Eddie. He grew up in the 14.1 era and then had to live in the nine ball era later. I started in the The Color Of Money era, and that is the way I think is the best.

Nine ball may be for bangers. But the thing is everybody is doing it. There's a lot of guys doing it.

"Nine ball may be for bangers. But the thing is everybody is doing it. There's a lot of guys doing it."

Wow, you just called a 100 of our top pros a "banger".....SPF=randyg

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
"Nine ball may be for bangers. But the thing is everybody is doing it. There's a lot of guys doing it."

They're only 'bangers' because that's the format chosen for them. There are plenty of other games that would be a better judge of who's better at proffesional pool than 9-ball.

ick

boring

blah

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
if 3 ball was the game to watch and where the $$$ were at then thats what the pros would play. DOesn't matter, they play what pays....gamblers included. The rest just follow suit.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a lot like the OP, BUT.....my biggest surprise is the drop in runout % and rack string....ing?:) in the game of 10 ball. I recently played a race to 13 with a VERY strong player and we went 13/12 with 3 run outs between us. In the first 11 games I missed exactly 2 balls. That, to me, is a very telling stat to how hard 10ball is.

If I had my way, 1 pocket would have it's own channel on cable! 24/7/365 squeezing, banking, torturing til it hurts!:grin-square:

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about nine ball as a great game. I just quoted The Color Of Money to help me.

I think my original post said as much.

Please don't besmirch me when I come to you for lessons!:smile:

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a lot like the OP, BUT.....my biggest surprise is the drop in runout % and rack string....ing?:) in the game of 10 ball. I recently played a race to 13 with a VERY strong player and we went 13/12 with 3 run outs between us. In the first 11 games I missed exactly 2 balls. That, to me, is a very telling stat to how hard 10ball is.

If I had my way, 1 pocket would have it's own channel on cable! 24/7/365 squeezing, banking, torturing til it hurts!:grin-square:

What would you say is the reason?

I have never really played ten ball. Does the rack make that much of a difference? Obviously one ball does not slow a very good player from that many run outs.

Do you have any opinions of the other things I said?

By the way, your one pocket channel would fail miserably! 14.1 on the other hand.........:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you say is the reason?

I have never really played ten ball. Does the rack make that much of a difference? Obviously one ball does not slow a very good player from that many run outs.

Do you have any opinions of the other things I said?

By the way, your one pocket channel would fail miserably! 14.1 on the other hand.........:grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

On the surface it would seem 10 ball is just 1 more ball. In reality, yes, the break is MUCH harder. In 9ball making a ball is almost a given....making 2 or 3 is the norm, but with 10ball making 1 is a friggin gift and with 9 still on the table......the runout is that much harder. Also, with more balls on the table there are more places to hide making the safety game more of an advantage.

As far as the rest of your comments......I agree with them.

except the 14.1 channel....as much as I love the game, you will need naked rack chix to get anyone to watch......or is it naked chix with racks? :).....or both!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I figure the break is/should be a big part of the game. If I break, make the one and one/two more, why should you come to the table with basically no shot because of my screw up?

I'm not understanding the wording of these sentences. If you make the 1-ball and one or two other balls on the break, why would I get to come to the table AT ALL? And IF I did come to the table, why would there be no shot (you didn't make mention of where ANY of the balls were laying)? And what "screw-up" are you talking about here? Your making two or three balls on the break??? Please explain in more detail what you meant to say in this paragraph. Thanks.

Maniac

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not understanding the wording of these sentences. If you make the 1-ball and one or two other balls on the break, why would I get to come to the table AT ALL? And IF I did come to the table, why would there be no shot (you didn't make mention of where ANY of the balls were laying)? And what "screw-up" are you talking about here? Your making two or three balls on the break??? Please explain in more detail what you meant to say in this paragraph. Thanks.

Maniac

Oops! I meant if I break, make the one and a couple more and scratch. Why should you have to deal with a mess, when my bad play caused the mess?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
On the surface it would seem 10 ball is just 1 more ball. In reality, yes, the break is MUCH harder. In 9ball making a ball is almost a given....making 2 or 3 is the norm, but with 10ball making 1 is a friggin gift and with 9 still on the table......the runout is that much harder. Also, with more balls on the table there are more places to hide making the safety game more of an advantage.

As far as the rest of your comments......I agree with them.

except the 14.1 channel....as much as I love the game, you will need naked rack chix to get anyone to watch......or is it naked chix with racks? :).....or both!

wait just one minute...where are these naked rack chicks you speak of? I could use them to rack my bawls lmfao

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Oops! I meant if I break, make the one and a couple more and scratch. Why should you have to deal with a mess, when my bad play caused the mess?

I don't comprehend what the word "mess" is meaning in your above statement. Help me out will ya.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I don't comprehend what the word "mess" is meaning in your above statement. Help me out will ya.

mess
NOUN:
A disorderly or dirty accumulation, heap, or jumble: left a mess in the yard.
A cluttered, untidy, usually dirty condition: The kitchen was a mess.
A confused, troubling, or embarrassing condition; a muddle: With divorce and bankruptcy proceedings pending, his personal life was in a mess.
One that is in such a condition: clothes that were a mess after painting the ceiling; made a mess of their marriage.

meaning he left you a pile of poo to try and run out.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mess
NOUN:
A confused, troubling, or embarrassing condition; a muddle: With divorce and bankruptcy proceedings pending, his personal life was in a mess.
One that is in such a condition: clothes that were a mess after painting the ceiling; made a mess of their marriage.

What he said.;)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
mess
NOUN:

Yep a good dictionary works wonders but, I thought it meant being in a rowboat on the ocean, free diving with the tide going out at 6 knots and your arms are worn out trying to row back to shore because weathers moving in:)).