Marble "slate"

QuickEdward

Silver Member
Over the years I've run into a handful of tables - always circa 1965 to 1975 - that are marble rather than slate. What's the reason for this? I was once told that it was because at the time quarry workers in Italy were on strike for months at a time and slate production came to a standstill. Is there any truth to this?

The latest one was a Fischer table... one piece marble slate had snapped in two. The guy just wanted it for his kids to play on so I recreated the slate from 3/4 MDF... wasn't anything I'd like to play on, but the customer was happy with it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Over the years I've run into a handful of tables - always circa 1965 to 1975 - that are marble rather than slate. What's the reason for this? I was once told that it was because at the time quarry workers in Italy were on strike for months at a time and slate production came to a standstill. Is there any truth to this?

The latest one was a Fischer table... one piece marble slate had snapped in two. The guy just wanted it for his kids to play on so I recreated the slate from 3/4 MDF... wasn't anything I'd like to play on, but the customer was happy with it.

Fisher 3 1/2' x 7's was the only table I ever saw the marble in, I just think they were looking for an alternative to using real slate at the time, but I will say this about marble...it's easy to clean all the excess spray glue off of:D