Question about 314 1st gen original shafts

ed2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hello i have a couple pictures of 3 original 314 shafts.one of the 3 has a longer Ferrule.they all are stock Ferrule but the one on the left is alittle longer then the other 2 shafts and I was told the one with the longer Ferrule is worth more.they all play great.im thinking about selling one of them. just wondering if there is a price difference between them..here are the pictures..thanks for any help.and also what would be a fair price to asked for one of them

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_6.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_6.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 621
  • imagejpeg_3_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_3_2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 596

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
same

in the picture on the left you really dont have them lined up perfect, Look at the top of the ferrule of one and two, They are not lined up exactly perfect, looks like the first shaft is a little lower there for making the ferrule look longer at the bottom. They all look the same to me, One might be a fraction longer then the other one but I dont think it means anything at all as far as value.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Idk about the difference between the shafts but my original 314 has no black on the shaft at all. Maybe because it was a sneezy me cue

ed2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i have them line up as close as i could get them.at the top.the one on the left has a longer ferrule..without a doubt .i had Alex Brick check them out when i was down there..and he told me the one on the left was worth alot more cash then the other 2..and it has a longer ferrule then the other 2...yes i agree they need to be cleaned..lol ..thanks guys

in the picture on the left you really dont have them lined up perfect, Look at the top of the ferrule of one and two, They are not lined up exactly perfect, looks like the first shaft is a little lower there for making the ferrule look longer at the bottom. They all look the same to me, One might be a fraction longer then the other one but I dont think it means anything at all as far as value.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
120-165

Price will be dependent upon...kind of tip and condition...
Is shaft straight?
Shaft cleanliness and condition?
Shaft size...how worn? 12.8 at ferrule, or 12.4 ?

By the looks of it, the condition they are in...I would ask 135 and you'll sell em fast...165 and you'll keep em a bit longer. But I don't have particulars on condition...I've bought some for 100... And some for 200...the 200 was clean, straight, already had a new Moori tip which I wanted, and was for a unique joint for a Mike bender cue...so I paid a premium. These look to be 5/16x14 or 18 which is a common easy to find joint-

Hope it helps, good luck.

ed2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8onthebreak

thanks in the info on the pricing. best i can tell they all are the 10 piece ones .and 11.9 and 12.3 and 12.4 .in size for left to right at the Ferrule..i was wanting to sell or trade one for a 314 2 and try that shaft out.they all have layered tip .one has a UltraSkin H and the other has Black Kamni M

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 314-1 shafts being worth a premium is a myth propagated by those who are trying to sell them. $100 tops per 314-1 is what I think they are worth. These are my 2 cents;)

Only way to find out is to see what they sell for.

Regarding the ferrule, the very first year or so they were 1" in length. Then they went to 3/4" in length, for like the next ten years. These are an 314-1. The 314-2 went shorter at about .6 inches.

By your picture, the longer ferrule only looks like 1/16" longer than the others. Without good measurements, and only the perspective of the picture to go by, my opinion is the longer ferrule is the 3/4" length, and the 2 shorter ferrules were also 3/4" length that got much shorter over the years with tip changes.

Another possibility is the longer ferrule was replaced.

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Judging by the diameters you listed, I expect they have seen a lot of play over the years. This also suggests they have seen a few tip changes as well. Depending on who changed the tips, this minimal difference in ferrule length could be the result of material being taken off during installation.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
I paid 200.00-it's no myth

I think 314-1 shafts being worth a premium is a myth propagated by those who are trying to sell them. $100 tops per 314-1 is what I think they are worth. These are my 2 cents;)

Only way to find out is to see what they sell for.

Regarding the ferrule, the very first year or so they were 1" in length. Then they went to 3/4" in length, for like the next ten years. These are an 314-1. The 314-2 went shorter at about .6 inches.

By your picture, the longer ferrule only looks like 1/16" longer than the others. Without good measurements, and only the perspective of the picture to go by, my opinion is the longer ferrule is the 3/4" length, and the 2 shorter ferrules were also 3/4" length that got much shorter over the years with tip changes.

Another possibility is the longer ferrule was replaced.

I've paid 200 and nearly 200 for a few different 314 1st Gen shafts...if they were really clean...they play SO MUCH BETTER than a 314-2...it's no myth...they're getting hard to find...try to find a clean one once-for example, the ones depicted here are sanded down to low 12mm...they we're originally like 12.75mm.

I agree that the ferrules are probably machined down from tip replacement.