APA Ailments- VENT

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I was reviewing the APA stats thread I wrote a response that seemed long winded and off topic so I decided to start this one. I hope no one feels I'm making a duplicate thread.

I know people typically complain about sandbagging being bad in the APA... As a SL3 I don't know much about that. However, I do know my LO is on my last nerve because the LO doesn't respond to my emails or voicemail messages. For example 3 weeks ago I sent an email with a bunch of questions regarding the regionals coming up in June and asked for her to write me or call me back. I also called twice and left 2 voice messages.... I've never received a call back or an email. Personally it's not my style to call and call and call etc, email and email and email, people who don't respond to me. Last Monday I sent another hopeless email and lashed out for their apparent carelessness responding to people. Today the LO wrote me back answered 1 question and ignored the other 3. FML 17 weeks ago I signed up for the role of team captain I've sent out maybe 8-10 emails to the LO, and about 6-8 of those have yet to be answered. It doesn't sound like a lot. I know she has about 30 teams... but heck that's nothing compared to the folks in Pinellas next door, they must have 100 teams and I KNOW their LO is way better than ours, just by looking at their website. Theirs looks professional ours looks like a third grader wrote it before bedtime.:help:

Last Season my coach won MVP and TopGun he didn't get a trophy or cash... Nothing-- Fine. After Coach quit on me because he couldn't afford to pay the APA dues, I picked up another guy call'm D he worked really hard and landed MVP and Top gun for the 8 Ball league and made it to 2nd place for MVP and TOPGun on my 9 ball team. D came from Kinkeke IL where I guess they had payouts and awards to MVP's and Top Guns, and is expecting something from the LO here. Sadly I don't think he will get anything. Sadly I have no idea either.

Therefore, I'm really demotivated to renew my membership with the APA. I just hate feeling like the village idiot, and when the LO can't answer my emails or vmails that's how I feel. There aren't very many other leagues in my area and the Pinellas league is REALLY far from my house.

I played APA Masters for a couple seasons here in Tucson. From what I hear, the APA varies on payouts/trophies from league to league. It really just depends on the LO.
I know with our league, the cash payouts were very small. For example, our team took 1st place and we barely got back what our dues and weekly fees were. We received plaques for placing 1st and Top Gun. We also got a ton of patches for 9 on the snap, 8 on the snap, 9 break n run, 8 break n run and a Grand Slam patch for doing all of em. If all 3 of us added our patches, we could probably fill a drawer.
Anyhoo, Masters is a good format, race to 7, no handicap. I don't think I could ever play in their handicap league. Doing the score keeping would be a real pain.
I play in a BCAPL to qualify for Vegas. I much prefer the BCAPL to APA, but that's just me.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Agree

Loren,

I pretty much agree with Maniac.

Everyone wants to win. Especially me. I am a fierce competitor. I hate losing but actually don't mind getting beat. There is a difference. I play to win for me yet I am ALL about team. I know that sounds contradictory but not really. I play scared to let my team mates down. I use that as extra motivation to make sure that I do not let them down. If I win for me, I also win for them & if I win for them I win for me.

The thing is, that most, not all, but most of the ones that want that Vegas trip the most are the ones that can least contibute to getting it.

There are very few pros in league play. Almost all are Amatuers. The word Amatuer comes from words that mean Love. Amatuers play for the love of the game. If a Vegas Trip happens it will be because everyone played for the right reason...for the Love of The Game.

Best Regards & Best Wishes,

I tend to agree. I've always loved team play, from volleyball to bowling, basketball and pool. I've made seven trips to Vegas, mostly via the VNEA and BCA routes. Might have won that trip with APA except for some rather suspicious and arbitrary raises of player averages in the final rounds of team qualifiers.

I always took league and team play seriously and success ($ and titles) proved it worth the effort. Do you realize that theoretically you can never have one a single game of pool and still become a national champion in the APA? Some of course think this is a great thing...me, not so much.

Banks

Banned
I tend to agree. I've always loved team play, from volleyball to bowling, basketball and pool. I've made seven trips to Vegas, mostly via the VNEA and BCA routes. Might have won that trip with APA except for some rather suspicious and arbitrary raises of player averages in the final rounds of team qualifiers.

I always took league and team play seriously and success ($ and titles) proved it worth the effort. Do you realize that theoretically you can never have one a single game of pool and still become a national champion in the APA? Some of course think this is a great thing...me, not so much.

Theoretically, that same person could win the US Open without making a ball intentionally. :eek:

My LO doesn't do payouts for Top Gun or MVP. They feel that the higher players already get enough stuff, so the money goes towards other things. I was a little bummed when I found out about all of the things done in other areas, but after thinking about it I'm perfectly fine with how things are done around here. Not only does our LO have an office with staff, we also get prompt responses via Facebook, the national site or over the phone.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Theoretically, that same person could win the US Open without making a ball intentionally. :eek:

My LO doesn't do payouts for Top Gun or MVP. They feel that the higher players already get enough stuff, so the money goes towards other things. I was a little bummed when I found out about all of the things done in other areas, but after thinking about it I'm perfectly fine with how things are done around here. Not only does our LO have an office with staff, we also get prompt responses via Facebook, the national site or over the phone.

We are very fortunate in that our LO does do the Top Gun, with a prize, AND are very responsive. It's good that things work out for you in your area, too.

Interestingly enough, Top Gun doesn't go to the better players in our area very often, usually to a lower or mid level player who has a pretty good run for one session. I'm trying to think back over the last few years, and I can't remember an SL6 or SL7 winning it, maybe once. Between 8 and 9 ball combined. Hell, I almost won it a couple sessions ago, if I hadn't lost my last match of the session it was mine.

As always, things are different in different parts of the country.

JNUTZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With only 30 teams I'd have to agree with the others that he either has a full time job elsewhere or is really older and it isn't his top priority. My suggestion is to talk to the new manager and hopefully they have a captains meeting now that they have new staff and a few things they need to address.

If that doesn't work just move up the chain. I'm sure you'll find your answers.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Originally Posted by APA LO View Post
If you are having issues getting in contact with your LO, contact the APA National Office. The number can be found on the back of the APA manual, among other places. They are very good about getting back to league members with questions or concerns, and contacting the LO to address why the calls and emails aren't being responded to in a timely manner.

As a fellow APA LO, I can say that this is an extremely busy time for league operators. We are closing out current sessions, setting up new ones and preparing for Tricups and LTC's. Pat is going through things right now that I cannot even imagine on top of such a busy time. My heart pours out to her at this difficult time, and I hope you not only get your questions and concerns addressed, but that you give her as many chances as necessary to correct this issue.

I agree with this, and I would urge you NOT to wait to contact the national office. You have questions and they will help you get answers. They know that Pat is probably a little overwhelmed right now and are in a position to support her. For some who work there, member support is part of their job description so you should never feel like you shouldn't contact them. Web form or phone call, they do respond quickly.

Well, if this is the case maybe things have changed over there. I can think of many times I have tried to contact the National Office, sometime with simple ruling questions, sometimes with other concerns and have been totally ignored. As well, I speak to members from other states every summer that have had that same experience. We all have always received the obligatory "Thanks for your email..." email, then no further response. This is a year around occurrence, not just at a build up time for a big event. To the APA's credit though I have received some timely responses. For instance, I have a statement from the APA that says that if you've ever participated in a pro even you're considered a pro in the eyes of the APA. I have to wonder just how many people that makes ineligible that are currently on APA teams. I have always found that response interesting
in light of other conversations I have had on that exact topic with other "APA People" but I digress.
I guess the indication is that every one has a different experience when they try to contact the National Office, I guess you sort of take your chances and the information that you get may or may not be correct depending on your (or their) perspective.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
For instance, I have a statement from the APA that says that if you've ever participated in a pro even you're considered a pro in the eyes of the APA. I have to wonder just how many people that makes ineligible that are currently on APA teams.

It would knock a few from my 9-ball league for sure IF that is a written rule and they DO enforce it. But.............

Maniac (.........it is what it is :sorry:)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am guessing here, but locally, LTC Qualified means that team is qualified for the tournament that sends you to Vegas...and if that is the teams goal, you (as a team) need to see it through, at least through that tournament.

For us, that is called "states" as our LO has the entire state for his territory. For you, it sounds like "regionals", but if I understand it correctly, the LTC part should be the same.

The LTC for us is coming up next month, I expect it should be for you as well. Once you get through that, you will have more options. Or you will have won and are going to vegas, baybeeeeeeeeeee :p

We have folks that may be going to different teams, or not playing next session, and since both our teams are LTC qualified, all of that is on hold till "states" are done. One way or another.

in our area ltc stands for local team championship or cities as some of you also call it. yea it is the qualifier for vegas.

we became ltc eligible in 9 ball last fall session. had to sweat the entire spring session trying not ot lose our eligibility. we came in 6 th place out of 12 teams in our division. some of you may not be aware but you have to finish in the top half of each session after you become ltc qualified in order to not lose your eligilibity.

that rule is supposedly in there to prevent sandbagging each session until you get to the ltc tournament.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For instance, I have a statement from the APA that says that if you've ever participated in a pro even you're considered a pro in the eyes of the APA.

Could you post the exact wording of the statment you have, and let us know how old the statement is? I'm asking because if you replace the word "you're" in the statement with "you may" the statement becomes true. To my knowledge the APA has always required more than just participation in an event to determine pro status. Heck, they send the winners of the U.S. Amateur to a pro event...

Oh, and who at the national office sent that to you?

8onthesnap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What state are you from apa operator? You sound like you are on top of it probably run a tight ship

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Could you post the exact wording of the statment you have, and let us know how old the statement is? I'm asking because if you replace the word "you're" in the statement with "you may" the statement becomes true. To my knowledge the APA has always required more than just participation in an event to determine pro status. Heck, they send the winners of the U.S. Amateur to a pro event...

Oh, and who at the national office sent that to you?

pm me your email and I'll forward it to you

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm rather frustrated at a league operator who will incorrectly apply rules that hurt our team, but somehow can't manage to have scores updated sometimes as long as 2 weeks later.