OB Cues has a new product

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does it state that the "Digicue" can be used in competition? Surely not. Same reason you couldn't attach a gyroscope to a putter.

The DigiCue can be used in competition in the sense that since it attaches to the butt and weighs no more than 0.8 oz, it is physically out of your way / line of sight. You might forget it is even there if you are playing well. But as soon as you lose focus and start dogging some shots it'll vibrate if the reason you dogged those shots was due to a stroke problem. The idea is that it is discrete enough that it is effective even during matches.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking product. I own the QMD, linked earlier in this thread, (which OB should seriously look at, especially if they are claiming they are the first in this space). From the product description, this seems very similar.

How about some technical information as to how the product works? What does it measure? How does it measure it?

Thank you.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the Digi pick up on vibrations from all cues and different types of constructions? What about the softest hits? It's a very very interesting product.

The DigiCue digitally filters out the harmonic modes so that different types of cue constructions and models don't disrupt the measurement algorithm. There is also an anti-triggering algorithm which lets the DigiCue know the difference between hitting a cue ball, and from chalking or moving the balls around with the cue stick.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The website product description says "Comes with two sizes to fit the vast majority of Pool, Snooker, and Carom cues." But I don't see any further mention of the two sizes, not even when you click "Add to Cart."

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The website product description says "Comes with two sizes to fit the vast majority of Pool, Snooker, and Carom cues." But I don't see any further mention of the two sizes, not even when you click "Add to Cart."

The inner diameter of the two sizes are 1.1" and 1.22" (inches). They are made of high grade silicone rubber which can stretch quite a bit (easily up to 1.34", the largest butt I've heard of).

Both sizes come in the box.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The inner diameter of the two sizes are 1.1" and 1.22" (inches). They are made of high grade silicone rubber which can stretch quite a bit (easily up to 1.34", the largest butt I've heard of).

Both sizes come in the box.

So you actually get both sizes for the $100? Can we buy just one for $50?:)

Edit -- will the larger size work on smaller cues by first wrapping a layer or two of paper around the butt?

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a picture that includes what comes in the box.

13690757_1248091205202481_5461502237865822363_n.jpg

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Nice looking product. I own the QMD, linked earlier in this thread, (which OB should seriously look at, especially if they are claiming they are the first in this space). From the product description, this seems very similar.

How about some technical information as to how the product works? What does it measure? How does it measure it?

Thank you.

First in the space are these guys.... They are working on a cuesports interface and attachment but it's not high priority from our last talks.....

http://www.zepp.com/en-us/

I contacted them over 2 years ago and they were aware of the utility and had plans for later roll outs....

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Why does it state that the "Digicue" can be used in competition? Surely not. Same reason you couldn't attach a gyroscope to a putter.

The DIGICUE does not have a gyroscope. Nothing inside the DIGICUE will make the cue go straight. It just lets you know when it doesn't. It is still up to the player to keep their body movement still and follow through, our device just alerts you when you make a fundamental mistake and conditions you to have better mechanics in all cue sport games. As of right now there is not any rule that I am aware of that prevents you from using this in competition. If that changes that's ok. You will still use it when you practice/train.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member

Thank you.

You have a great product. One of the key differences is the DIGICUE only starts recording data after the cueball is struck. It does not care what happens prior to contact, only at the moment that you hit a ball and for the next 3/4 of a second after that.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a great product. One of the key differences is the DIGICUE only starts recording data after the cueball is struck. It does not care what happens prior to contact, only at the moment that you hit a ball and for the next 3/4 of a second after that.

Would you agree that what the cue is doing BEFORE it hits the ball is more important than what it does afterwards? In other words, does the stroke or the follow through have more effects on where the ball goes?

miragez

Registered
is it a high pressure spring action cue that does all of the stroking for you?!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

Fastrs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a video of this being used. Probably understand what and how it works better.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does this come with 2 devices in the box? Can you buy only one? Do you have to turn it on every 5 minutes if you don't hit a ball? That seems like a hassle and people will forget when using it in competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you agree that what the cue is doing BEFORE it hits the ball is more important than what it does afterwards? In other words, does the stroke or the follow through have more effects on where the ball goes?

I imagine that the strike and follow through are a product of the stroke.

You won't be able to get a flawed stroke to produce a perfect strike and follow through, so I can see what they are doing... Based on the follow through, you can get a good picture of what the stroke is doing before cue ball contact.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where in pool are there even such universal rules that the claim can be made?

In golf there are 2 cooperating governing bodies (USGA and the R&A) who would prohibit the gyroscope putter and that would hold across the golf world. Pool has no such body that could either endorse or prohibit this device for competition, so any claim as to "legal for competition: is kind of specious, IMO.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does this come with 2 devices in the box?

DigiCue is sold with one electronic device and two different-sized rubber bumpers per box. So three items per box. The electronic device is placed into the rubber bumper that best fits your cue. And of course, it is removable for changing the battery. The battery lasts a very long time.

Do you have to turn it on every 5 minutes if you don't hit a ball? That seems like a hassle and people will forget when using it in competition.

The device will turn off five minutes after the last time you hit a ball. If you end up sitting in your chair for more than 5 minutes, then you will need to press the power button (the little circle in my avatar picture) once to turn it back on before you shoot.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree that what happens before the tip hits the cue ball has more affect on where the cue ball goes, but the most useful measurements of the stroke are actually extracted from the data taken AFTER impact. For example, DigiCue will catch players who have the habit of standing up or lifting up slightly during their shot. This extraneous motion manifests itself in small inconsistencies in the final tip contact point on the cue ball at the time of impact. Players who swear that they are only standing up after their shot will be surprised to learn that they are starting that body motion before impact, whether they believe it or not. DigiCue will put that argument to rest.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i imagine that the strike and follow through are a product of the stroke.

You won't be able to get a flawed stroke to produce a perfect strike and follow through, so i can see what they are doing... Based on the follow through, you can get a good picture of what the stroke is doing before cue ball contact.

Yes, this is exactly correct.