the stiffs on.

Lou Figueroa

a story within a story
yin and yang, punched onto resin
poetry in motion..I love it

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A movie classic in so many ways, the acting, the camera work, the background jazz music, the plot, the chosen venues and themes ( pool halls, pool hustling, dive bars, rail birds, wounded women, hustling men, steakhorse sharks, ) Every main character revealing within the context of the entire movie, their character, their flaws, their ultimate demise( physically or morally) or redemption.

For a solid five years, from 61-66; until the Vietnam war started to claim into the draft hundreds of thousands of 18 to 25 year old non college attending men; an entire nationwide business of pool rooms and home pool tables erupted from this great movie. I can remember as a 9 year old in 1962 when our home table arrived at Christmas - I have never stopped playing - as has my 72 year old brother who served two years in that war with honor.

right on mike, and thanks for the recollection
good rolls to you, and your bro!

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Television alert

Hustler on TV: DIRECT TV on Sunday 8/23 @ 6:45 a.m. Ch 258 FXMHD

Tell your friends, I've told mine

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was growing up I watched it several times in the “pan and scan” version.

Years later I finally saw it in the original “letterbox” version and it was a complete revelation, with the pool room scenes taking on the look of a Greek tragedy tableu. It’s a mind blowing difference.

Lou Figueroa

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Tell your friends, I've told mine

That's great that it's going to be on three times, but why do they have to be all at the same time and on the same channel?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bought the Blu-Ray and watched for the first time since I first saw it (late 60s or 70s?)

Amazing at how riveting it was. Shows what great actors, a decent story, cinematography, etc., can do. Was as much a human interest story as it was a pool story.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walter Tevis, the man who wrote the book, also co-wrote the script for the movie, along with Sydney Carroll. I got to know him over the course of several years. He covered a few big tournaments for Sports Illustrated and spent some time out here in Los Angeles. He loved Pool and the rogues who populated our sport. When talking about them he always had a wink in his eye and a smile on his face. Even during his very public dispute with "Minnesota Fat's" he maintained his humor when talking about him.

He also graced us with The Color of Money, although the subsequent movie strayed far from his story. He did not write that script. Richard Price did.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
PoolBum: I wanted to make sure everyone saw it, especially those among us who are less observant -- I was afraid a one liner might be overlooked.

The Bronx Bull

Registered
So many great quotes in this film. I actually had a Hustler quote engraved on my Delta 13 elite rack. Some of my favorites:

Findlay: “I think I’ve heard of you Mr. Felson. You play pocket billiards, don’t you?”

Fats: “You like to gamble, Eddie? Gamble money... on pool games?”

Felson: “You shoot straight pool, mister?”
Fats: “Every now and then... you know how it is.”

Fats: “Shoot pool, Fast Eddie.”
Felson: “I’m shooting pool, fats, when I miss you can shoot.”

Felson: “Well you don’t leave much when you miss, do you, fat man?”

Felson: “Didn’t leave you much.”
Fats: “You left enough. Six in the corner.”

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So many great quotes in this film. I actually had a Hustler quote engraved on my Delta 13 elite rack. Some of my favorites:

Findlay: “I think I’ve heard of you Mr. Felson. You play pocket billiards, don’t you?”

Fats: “You like to gamble, Eddie? Gamble money... on pool games?”

Felson: “You shoot straight pool, mister?”
Fats: “Every now and then... you know how it is.”

Fats: “Shoot pool, Fast Eddie.”
Felson: “I’m shooting pool, fats, when I miss you can shoot.”

Felson: “Well you don’t leave much when you miss, do you, fat man?”

Felson: “Didn’t leave you much.”
Fats: “You left enough. Six in the corner.”

Right on. the "you left enough" quote is one of my favorites, too.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest Stu, there were no "unsuspecting fish" in that movie. Everybody (except the local guys in the poolroom where Eddie got his thumbs broken) knows what the score is. Findlay, while no hustler, certainly believed he had the edge playing 3-C, and said so to Bert..."surely you can afford $100 to find out", Findlay says to Bert, when Bert asks Eddie if he'd ever played billiards before! As you know Findlay beat Eddie badly, forcing Bert to give up on him, and Eddie having to quit, after he spent his own money. It was only when Eddie was 'down and out' that Bert agreed to let him continue playing...where Eddie kicked Findlay's ass for several thousand ($15K ?). BEST pool movie EVER!!! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

My favorite line in the entire movie is "yeah sure" in this sequence, occurring as Findlay, who has just been hustled on his own three cushion table, pays the wager to Bert.

FINDLEY
Here.
(to Eddie)
Been an interestin' evening.
EDDIE
Yeah, sure has.
FINDLEY
(to a valet)
Charles, will you call a cab for
these gentlemen, please.
(to Eddie)
I'd show you to the door, but I...
EDDIE
Oh yeah, yeah. You're tired.
(to Bert)
And beat.
FINDLEY
Yeah. You must come again.
EDDIE
Yeah. Sure.

This little three way chat, to me, encapsulates the spirit of the entire movie, and frames some of the attitudes and temperaments so often found in the seedy world of pool hustling. Findlay does what he can to maintain his dignity in the face of overwhelming defeat. The invitation from Findlay to come back is met with a very sarcastic "yeah sure" from Eddie, who, in an isolated moment of conscience, understands that it's on to the next unsuspecting fish in the world of pool hustling.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
PoolBum: I wanted to make sure everyone saw it, especially those among us who are less observant -- I was afraid a one liner might be overlooked.

Don't pay any attention to that guy, he just has a strange sense of humor.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Tevis had written a great novel, Jackie Gleason was a good player and a first class "character" (I hope I can hang with him in heaven), and Willie Mosconi was the technical advisor and had cameos -- The Hustler couldn't miss and it didn't. Almost sixty years hence, this movie is still running and holding our interest. If the preachers in the '60's did not rail aganst it, they sure missed an opportunity,

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
Fats, let's you and me shoot a game of straight pool.

Hundred dollars?

Well, you shoot big time pool, Fats. I mean, that's what everybody says: you shoot big time pool. Let's make it $200 a game.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Fats, let's you and me shoot a game of straight pool.

Hundred dollars?

Well, you shoot big time pool, Fats. I mean, that's what everybody says: you shoot big time pool. Let's make it $200 a game.

Now I know why they call you Fast Eddie!