pre-shot routine

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
can we agree that most pros and that its highly recommended to look at the object ball last on most shots??

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can we agree that most pros and that its highly recommended to look at the object ball last on most shots??

Not me. I'm finding it extremely hard to believe that a professional pool player actually looks at the cue ball last. I can believe that they may have experimented for a short period of time and that at that time they believed it to be better, but I also believe that they all would have reverted back to ob last.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, of course I'm trying to make a point. You wrote that most pros look at the ob last. I think maybe it's not most pros. Maybe all pros. Of course I'm not including the exception shots like break shots and jump shots because then most look at the cb last on those. But we're talking about all of the basic shots. I think it's misleading to say "most" when it may be all. But if you can find a list of pros who do look at the cb last, then you're justified in saying that some do. Don't I have the right to ask you who they are since you were the one who made that statement?

ok that's fine
but you could've just made you point plain instead of goading me
I feel I was quite careful with my words, ironically in an effort to avoid cb vs. ob confrontation
shoot, the first thing I said on the subject was in defense of ob last
I suppose it's my fault for jumping in the convo in the first place
anyway..

I don't have a list of players who look at cb last
but I stand by what I said, including the word "most"
it's just math..I know some pros have tinkered with the idea
and as you alluded, rodney and others are so talented, perhaps they could shoot either way
personally, I actually don't have much issue looking ob last..I can play that way
I don't like it tho..it just doesn't feel as natural to me as shooting cb last
now you said "I think it's not most pros" and "maybe all pros," so it doesn't sound like you're sure either
and I'm not knocking you fran..I'm sure you've got me beat on pool everything
but like I said, it's just impossible to look at everybody, even if just all pros
and it is definitely possible to shoot good pool looking cb last
what's more, as talented as they are, I don't think all pool players pay attention to that stuff
so for the moment, think "most" is a reasonable figure
but am happy to read your reply

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you been able to verify it when watching them during actual matches? Rodney, for example, is such a naturally gifted player with such great hand-eye coordination. I can't see how he could possibly give that up, unless maybe he was going through a period of experimentation. I've watched Efren play many times and never saw him look at the cb last for all normal shots. How about you? Can you link us to matches where these guys looked at the cb last?

If you don't want to believe what Rodney said in an instructional dvd, then that is your choice. Have you watched the dvd? You say Rodney is naturally gifted, but he stresses the fundamentals throughout. Spends a lot of time on alignment and says he goes back to basics when he isn't playing his best.

You seem to spend a lot of time focusing on what pros look at when pulling the trigger. You could watch matches of the players I mentioned. Honestly it is hard to see what they are looking at a lot of the time due to camera angle. I am not going to spend hours and hours hoping to see what they are looking at. I am taking their word for it.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't want to believe what Rodney said in an instructional dvd, then that is your choice. Have you watched the dvd? You say Rodney is naturally gifted, but he stresses the fundamentals throughout. Spends a lot of time on alignment and says he goes back to basics when he isn't playing his best.

You seem to spend a lot of time focusing on what pros look at when pulling the trigger. You could watch matches of the players I mentioned. Honestly it is hard to see what they are looking at a lot of the time due to camera angle. I am not going to spend hours and hours hoping to see what they are looking at. I am taking their word for it.

I don't doubt that he said that. What I'm saying is that he probably has already reverted back. I seriously doubt that a pro pool player would stay looking at the cb last for the rest of their career once they 'discover' it. Being a pro player myself, I know that we go through many processes of experimentation with our games, and at any given time, we may feel we discovered the correct answer for us. I can tell you from experience that our games are a continuous work in progress. So it really depends on when you catch that pro and what they're working on at that time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
evergruven...Here's a good one. I was watching the Hustler again, for the 10,000th time, and you can clearly see Jackie Gleason's eye pattern...eyes on the CB to warm up, eyes on the OB when he shoots! Gleason was well known to be a 50 ball runner back in the 50's & 60's...when the good players were running 100-200...not a champion, but clearly a strong amateur poolplayer, needing no coaching at all for the movie from Mr. Mosconi! I have time and time again explained why this process works best for most players...not all. We'll put DCP in that extremely small minority, who "it makes no sense" to! LOL For the giant majority of us the science makes a lot of sense.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

sigh
pat can speak for himself, but you just said
"Makes no sense - none at all - to look at the OB last."
how could you possibly rationalize that
when the majority of pro players evidently look at the ob last
watch their eyes- I'm not making this up
so, that being the case- do you really think that there's no sense to it?
ps this is coming from a guy who often plays cb last..

sean <<--- is skeptical, not delusional

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many instances where some pro says they do one thing, when in fact they do the opposite. Many don't actually know what they do...they just know how to demonstrate it, but can't explain it. It would take no more than a few minutes with a video camera with slow motion to answer the question about RM. It is very likely that slow motion video would show his eyes moving up to the OB as the cuetip approaches the CB.

Scott Lee

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many instances where some pro says they do one thing, when in fact they do the opposite. Many don't actually know what they do...they just know how to demonstrate it, but can't explain it. It would take no more than a few minutes with a video camera with slow motion to answer the question about RM. It is very likely that slow motion video would show his eyes moving up to the OB as the cuetip approaches the CB.

Scott Lee

I could see this
especially where pros/celebs are involved
we take peoples' word for things a lot
not to say there isn't truth to what others say
but I think we're best off checking that
with our own personal experience

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to beat a dead horse...but YOUR CUE GOES WHERE YOUR EYES GO!

Scott Lee

I could see this
especially where pros/celebs are involved
we take peoples' word for things a lot
not to say there isn't truth to what others say
but I think we're best off checking that
with our own personal experience