The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh when I said I was practicing on the rail long shots, I meant I had the Cue ball on the short rail, and was moving the object ball up and down the table, so I had to aim, then jack up on the cue ball to make the shot off the rail. And I did that 8 times in a row.
Not the object ball on the long rail and the cue ball open. Just wanted to clarify that.
One of the things Gene makes you do is hit object balls that are on the rail, until you can hit them at 1/32 of the object ball and roll them in. And that is hard, but it will only work if you are seeing correctly with your dominant eye.

Bob

Bob,

No offense but object balls on the rail are one of the easiest shots in pool. A funny story, I had set up a shot Gene was talking about years ago. I think the cue ball eight inches behind the center of the table and the object ball on the rail. I modified it by moving the object ball an inch off the rail so I couldn't use the rail to pocket balls. Didn't take long to pocket the ball consistently cutting left, wouldn't work at all cutting right!

I was setting up the cut to the right and missing it over and over. Finally one of the pool hall regulars couldn't stand it anymore, maybe fifty or a hundred misses. "Let me show you how to shoot that shot!" He didn't understand that the object wasn't to make the ball, it was to make it the way Gene said to do it. I think the regular thought I was trying to protect my pride or something, he never did get that the idea was to test the system. I could shoot the ball in with a very rare miss if I just wanted to make the ball. When I refused to change what I was doing the regular stomped off! "Some people can't be helped!"

I don't remember, I might have backed everything up a diamond too. The original shot on a standard Diamond nine footer allowed a lot of error and the ball still fell.

Any change often gives us great results short term. The real test will be if you have stepped up your game three months from now. If so, I suspect that it will be a lot more to do with corrections to stance and stroke than with Gene's eyeball thing. Before the days of the long bridge coming in vogue people several inches taller than you played just fine with 57 or 58 inch cues. At 6'2" I play with a sixty inch cue. I don't need it but I have it balanced the same as a 58" cue so it is the same as playing with a two inch extension all the time.

Good luck and have fun! That is what the game is about, having fun. Being a competitor at many things I sometimes lose track of the fun element.

Hu

Archer400

Registered
Bob,

No offense but object balls on the rail are one of the easiest shots in pool. A funny story, I had set up a shot Gene was talking about years ago. I think the cue ball eight inches behind the center of the table and the object ball on the rail. I modified it by moving the object ball an inch off the rail so I couldn't use the rail to pocket balls. Didn't take long to pocket the ball consistently cutting left, wouldn't work at all cutting right!

I was setting up the cut to the right and missing it over and over. Finally one of the pool hall regulars couldn't stand it anymore, maybe fifty or a hundred misses. "Let me show you how to shoot that shot!" He didn't understand that the object wasn't to make the ball, it was to make it the way Gene said to do it. I think the regular thought I was trying to protect my pride or something, he never did get that the idea was to test the system. I could shoot the ball in with a very rare miss if I just wanted to make the ball. When I refused to change what I was doing the regular stomped off! "Some people can't be helped!"

I don't remember, I might have backed everything up a diamond too. The original shot on a standard Diamond nine footer allowed a lot of error and the ball still fell.

Any change often gives us great results short term. The real test will be if you have stepped up your game three months from now. If so, I suspect that it will be a lot more to do with corrections to stance and stroke than with Gene's eyeball thing. Before the days of the long bridge coming in vogue people several inches taller than you played just fine with 57 or 58 inch cues. At 6'2" I play with a sixty inch cue. I don't need it but I have it balanced the same as a 58" cue so it is the same as playing with a two inch extension all the time.

Good luck and have fun! That is what the game is about, having fun. Being a competitor at many things I sometimes lose track of the fun element.

Hu
I agree on the objects on the rail shots are easy, that is why I clarified that the shots I made 8 times with out missing was the cue ball locked on the short rail and shooting the object ball up and down the table in different positions on the table in the the corner pocket. having to jack up on the cueball.
That is not easy at all. Just hitting slightly wrong either on the cue ball or your aim and you will miss.
Everything has to be right. And if you can do it 8 times with out missing,. AND never be in the same spot with the object ball, Something tells me everything was right. I could not do that a week a go.
Just saying.

Bob

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play a lot when I was younger Teens to mid twenties, but then I got marrried and had kids and just kind of gave up on it. Then about 3 yrs ago I saw some videos on you tube and I got hooked again.
I watched all the learning videos I could for free on youtube, started playing again at Biffs, you could play all day for 5 dollar's! What a shame that closed down, because of pandemic. I would play for sometimes 8 to 10 hrs at a time. But mostly on weekends and Friday's I don't usually work on fridays.
I got pretty good, but never good enough because I couldnt keep my aim. So I just starting getting more and more instructional videos. I tried them all, and mostly ended up with a combination of CTE PRO and, edge of Ferrell aiming. But i really had to be on to see the lines. But when I did I was deadly,
Problem was, it never stayed. So I kept learning and practicing. I even had people say. they like to watch my first game to see what Bob they are going to play. Cause eventually I was going to not see the shots again, and then you go with where you think you should hit it. So I kept looking for something that would let me see what I knew I could see, but I couldn't get there myself.
And that is where Gene came in. Also i have to mention, he fixed my stroke, because I am 6' 4" I needed to extend my cue. I had a 11 inch extension that fits in the but of my cue for long shots so we used that. it helped tremendously. So now I had both things going for me. Much better stroke and could see the lines. Last night I just got my 4 inch Balance rite forward weighted extension. And I am loving that.
So it wasn't just the aiming that helped me it was correcting my stroke also.
I just kind of got the perfect storm with Gene.

At face value, getting deep with your game is usually a good thing. On this thread though, I wouldn't buy even a parade of testimonials. Never mind those are unquantified, the product itself is for all intents and purposes, unidentified.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I has question

What exactly is "lower level player" ?

Anyone who hasn't made 50 major titles? Where is the cutoff?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the reason for the red

I agree on the objects on the rail shots are easy, that is why I clarified that the shots I made 8 times with out missing was the cue ball locked on the short rail and shooting the object ball up and down the table in different positions on the table in the the corner pocket. having to jack up on the cueball.
That is not easy at all. Just hitting slightly wrong either on the cue ball or your aim and you will miss.
Everything has to be right. And if you can do it 8 times with out missing,. AND never be in the same spot with the object ball, Something tells me everything was right. I could not do that a week a go.
Just saying.

Bob

Bob, the reason for changing part of the post quoted to red was to make clear what part of your post I was talking about. One section was talking cue ball on the rail, the part I was talking about was with the object ball on the rail as I read it. No question that table length shots are tough with the cue ball on the rail. A few tricks to make them easier but those aren't within the scope of this thread.

Gene used to be big about having students shoot the object ball on the rail shots. Those I consider almost meaningless to demonstrate anything. Moving the whole set-up back a diamond and off the rail a bit did prove that Gene's magic system didn't work for me cutting to the right. Sure I could have adjusted, but that wasn't the point of the exercise. The system had me overcutting the ball about an inch past the point on the back rail.

I hit the same spot many many times so it wasn't an issue of poor shooting but of poor set-up. After giving up on Gene's system I pocketed balls over and over with the cue ball and object ball in the same spots. I would say it was a medium difficulty shot.

Hu

Archer400

Registered
Bob, the reason for changing part of the post quoted to red was to make clear what part of your post I was talking about. One section was talking cue ball on the rail, the part I was talking about was with the object ball on the rail as I read it. No question that table length shots are tough with the cue ball on the rail. A few tricks to make them easier but those aren't within the scope of this thread.

Gene used to be big about having students shoot the object ball on the rail shots. Those I consider almost meaningless to demonstrate anything. Moving the whole set-up back a diamond and off the rail a bit did prove that Gene's magic system didn't work for me cutting to the right. Sure I could have adjusted, but that wasn't the point of the exercise. The system had me overcutting the ball about an inch past the point on the back rail.

I hit the same spot many many times so it wasn't an issue of poor shooting but of poor set-up. After giving up on Gene's system I pocketed balls over and over with the cue ball and object ball in the same spots. I would say it was a medium difficulty shot.

Hu
I agree up to a point, what gene did was start at angles with the cueball on the rail, at different degrees.
Starting with obtuse angles that were pretty easy. just to determine what eye is your dominant eye. Once that was figured out he keep sharpening the angle of the cueball to the object ball on the rail. until it was only possible to make it into the pocket by hitting 1/32 nd of the ball. So essentially the cueball was almost in a straight line with the object ball. We all know about the impossible shot using english by essentially missing the object ball, hit rail first and with running English have the cue ball depress the rail a bit and have the English throw the object ball into the pocket. Still that is not easy but anyone can do if they practice the shot enough. What I am saying is have the cueball almost in a straight line with object ball on the rail. Hit the cue ball dead center and cut the object ball in using 1/32 nd of the object ball. That is not an easy shot.
and can only be done by seeing exactly what you are suppose to be seeing.

Bob

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO, there have been quite a few good posts regarding the question asked at the beginning of this thread. I would like to just give a very brief opinion from my perspective, as a golf pro who gave his first lesson 44 years ago, and have worked with beginners through touring pros.

At the outset, I ask many questions of a student a few days prior to our initial evaluation lesson, or at the beginning of the lesson if they were scheduled very recently. These questions are in no particular order but I would like their answers to as many as possible.

1. How long playing golf?
2. Any physical limitations?
3. Avg. score or USGA handicap?
4. Biggest frustrations playing golf?
5. What are their perceived strengths/weaknesses in golf?
6. Previous lessons?
7. Any current goals in golf?
8. How often do they play/practice?
9. Other sports playing/played?
10. How would they rate their eye/hand coordination?
11. Do they believe they are a patient person?
12. How would they rate their work ethic?
13. Do they play for pleasure, business, or to be competitive?
14. Do they believe they are a competitive person?
15. Do they find practice to be helpful/not helpful/boring/fun?
16. Are they willing to work to build a better game/swing?
17. What are their strengths/weaknesses in golf?
18. Do they have subscriptions to golf publications?
19. Do they watch the Golf Channel or maybe YouTube golf instructional programs?
20. Do they know if they are right or left eye dominant? (I'll test to find out if they aren't sure)
21. Do they want to understand the physics and geometry of the golf swing or would they rather just leave all of that to me without them having to think of such stuff?

Based upon their answers to general questions like these, I may or may not ask more questions. It is extremely important for me to get inside their heads as much as possible if I am going to give them the most efficient help and also teach them how to enjoy the process much, much more than they may have ever dreamed they would.

Having said all of that, if I was to list the major reasons why people don't improve at golf, or improve very slowly, the following would be some of the basic reasons:

They practice incorrectly
They don't understand cause and effect related to the golf swing
They don't have clearly defined goals
They are too drunk on watching their ball striking quality to focus on building better fundamentals
They find practice boring
They don't believe they can get much better because they have erected prison walls around what they perceive is their talent level
They listen to too many people giving advice
They fail to have a clearly set goal for each practice session, which leads to confusion and more drunkenness on their ball striking at present
If they fail to plan, they plan to fail is a very accurate statement when it comes to improvement that is consistent and reliable

My company slogan is this; "Building World Class Golf Swings...one swing at a time!"

I can teach any golfer who has fairly good health, to have a world class golf swing. Yes, yes, I know...that sounds awfully arrogant, but once I show them how simple it really is, and show them how fast they can improve if they are willing to trust me, they are usually surprised how fast they can start to get into quality positions in their swing.

The reason why I gave my two cents in this discussion, is because the commonality between improvement at golf or pool, is dealing with human nature. When I show my students how to steadily improve, and that improvement is not left up to the gods, but is in their control, they start to break down those prison walls.

The great thing about all of that though, is that they soon see that many of the mental weaknesses they have related to golf, are the same weaknesses that keep them from more success in life, relationships, business, or maybe their acceptance of themselves, as it relates to self-esteem.

What I love about all of it, and why I am so passionate about my work, is getting to see the epiphanies people get, intermittently as we work together. I also love seeing them experience freedom that they might not have felt since childhood, when they start breaking down those prison walls, which they erected themselves over years or decades.

Think the above is one of the better comments about being good, or better at most sports, or hobbies. Simple truths, and this instructor asks a lot of question to his student before he ever starts with pickup up a Golf Club.

A real deal pool instructor lives not far from me, his name is Jerry Brieseth, he has coming into our local room a couple of times to do lessons.

He teaches very basic stuff, but he also focuses on the consistancy in proforming those basic, again, again, and again until it happen like clock work. Jerry has students who get better because they use his basic instructions as a foundation to build upon.

Then he has student who have taken many lesson, never improved, because they did not build a foundation. They spend good money for the lessons, but refuse to get out of old habits, and bad habits.

Maybe comparing pool to building a skyscraper is a good compairson, if your foundation is not 110% level, the higher you build, the more you realize you building will never be straight. It will always be off, or lean to one side, because the foundation is crooked.

Archer400

Registered
This is turning out to be a great advertisement...

I'm starting to wonder how strong of a player I could have been if I had only ran into Gene when I was thirteen and didn't waste so many years practicing.
I hate to tell you but you probably would be a much better player today. Gene's system is gold. Especially if you have a good understanding of pool theory. My game has improved so dramatically in only 5 days since he gave me a lesson.
He is no joke..

Bob

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... cueball almost in a straight line with object ball on the rail. Hit the cue ball dead center and cut the object ball in using 1/32 nd of the object ball.
... can only be done by seeing exactly what you are suppose to be seeing.
I think we learn to interpret what we see through trial and error. If we have to aim in a way that "looks wrong" in order to make shots, we learn to see that as "looks right".

I agree it's optimal to see "realistically", but I don't think it's the only way.

pj
chgo

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only one way to see the shot correctly.

I think we learn to interpret what we see through trial and error. If we have to aim in a way that "looks wrong" in order to make shots, we learn to see that as "looks right".

I agree it's optimal to see "realistically", but I don't think it's the only way.

pj
chgo

There is one little spot. Where everyone is getting the eyes absolutely perfect to give us the very best picture going to the brain.

This can be taught to get there manually. This is what this is all about.

Lower level players are not even close. 3's 4's in any league. Once they learn this it's almost stupid, the results.

But it will improve everyones game at any level. And that's why I am confident to teach this to anyone in the world. It just might make the difference when they got to make that one shot to win something big.

At some point everyone except maybe Cowboy, has to say MMMMMMM,,,,,Maybe this is what he says it is. The holy Grail of aiming.

First ever person to figure it out and I know this for sure. It was tough to figure it out. Couldn't just read a book or get a lesson from someone else. It's been a learning process for 15 years. 2,000 plus personal lessons. That's dedication.

It's almost comical to hear players hate on this because it's the one thing that would actually help them play the best pool of their lives.

Like Rodney Morris said when I showed it to him in Phoenix. The name is Perfect. Perfect Aim because it showed you how to aim perfectly.

One of my newest lessons, Bob from Minneapolis was not a member on here. I told him to look up this thread and read testimonials before he did the lesson.

Someone even accused him of just a one timer on here to pump my thread.

How rediculous.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all know pool works. What is there to believe about a testimonial attributing "successful" pool to an indeterminate cause? Doesn't even satisfy "good marketing" let alone scientific method.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about 1,000 or so.....

We all know pool works. What is there to believe about a testimonial attributing "successful" pool to an indeterminate cause? Doesn't even satisfy "good marketing" let alone scientific method.

Stan Shuffet told me that pool players were not ready for this 10 years ago. Bought my video and then helped him understand what I was teaching.

I told him once the player understands this and sees it with their own eye they own it and can now improve at an amazing rate.

I found out when I was on the road what he meant.

There were usually only about 15 to 20 players that would do the lesson. Small amount compared to how many players actually played out of some pool hall. 200 to 400.

I never did quite figure out how to help the other players. They just knew it all. Didn't matter what level they were at they just knew. Couldn't fool them and get their money? Learned everything they knew now by monkey see monkey do. Not going to be hustled out of even $10. Kind of foolish. Their own worst enemy when they could learn the most important thing ever for their game.

Many have a $1500 to $7,000 pool table in their basement and 3 or 4 $1,000 cues and won't spend $200 or even $300 to learn how to use it. Makes sense to me.

Got about 2,000 glowing testimonials now. No bad testimonials except from players like yourself that haven't got a clue how this works and how well it works.

If there were bad testimonial this thread would be full. Kind of funny though....None.

But Oh well. Can't help everyone.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about 1,000 or so.....

Stan Shuffet told me that pool players were not ready for this 10 years ago. Bought my video and then helped him understand what I was teaching.

I told him once the player understands this and sees it with their own eye they own it and can now improve at an amazing rate.

There were usually only about 15 to 20 players that would do the lesson. Small amount compared to how many players actually played out of some pool hall. 200 to 400.

I never did quite figure out how to help the other players. They just knew it all. Didn't matter what level they were at they just knew. Couldn't fool them and get their money? Learned everything they knew now by monkey see monkey do. Not going to be hustled out of even $10. Kind of foolish. Their own worst enemy when they could learn the most important thing ever for their game.

Many have a $1500 to $7,000 pool table in their basement and 3 or 4 $1,000 cues and won't spend $200 or even $300 to learn how to use it. Makes sense to me.

Got about 2,000 glowing testimonials now. No bad testimonials except from players like yourself that haven't got a clue how this works and how well it works.

If there were bad testimonial this thread would be full. Kind of funny though....None.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stan Shuffett strikes me as delusional (in a harmless way) He's convinced CTE is the one true basic. He's committed; and refuses to, and/or cannot explain the premise let alone the validity of the method. All fine with me.

You guys are alike in your business model; milking a couple clues as the the motherlode.

This is your thread. If you can get away with posting all the raves, you'll have no objection from me. Even a link to a PDF would get you bites. Won't convince me because you haven't posted anything pertaining to your curriculum.

Second, I don't consider myself any kind of player. I do know enough pool to keep learning.

Third, I has question.
Any Best Evers in your alumni assoc. ? You and Stan both. Where are the perfect players? Shouldn't you guys be teaching the lesser world class champs ( I really dislike that word but that's the word used) at 50K, 100K a pop?

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan is trying to help players.....

Stan Shuffett strikes me as delusional (in a harmless way) He's convinced CTE is the one true basic. He's committed; and refuses to, and/or cannot explain the premise let alone the validity of the method. All fine with me.

You guys are alike in your business model; milking a couple clues as the the motherlode.

This is your thread. If you can get away with posting all the raves, you'll have no objection from me. Even a link to a PDF would get you bites. Won't convince me because you haven't posted anything pertaining to your curriculum.

Second, I don't consider myself any kind of player. I do know enough pool to keep learning.

Third, I has question.
Any Best Evers in your alumni assoc. ? You and Stan both. Where are the perfect players? Shouldn't you guys be teaching the lesser world class champs ( I really dislike that word but that's the word used) at 50K, 100K a pop?

It's too bad that Stan gave up on the forum.

I never gave up , just had some life threatening health issues to take care of.

Perfect Aim and what I teach stands on it's own. Do you really think that everyone that got on here is someone I tricked into thinking this works.

That's it? I brainwashed all my students. That's why they keep posting great results. All of them. Not just some.

The reason there aren't more is they just never go on AZ.

The few that did just go on here get insulted by a few on here.

My latest student that got on here asked me what is wrong with some of these players. This really wprks. How sad.

But I see that everyone has a purpose on AZ. And it's good that everyone doesn't always agree with everything.

But usually they have to disagree except I don't think so. Don't think and no think kind of make you miss out on allot of good things in life. :thumbup:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Third, I has question.

Well if it's CTE you seek to learn, John Barton has beat it too death on U-tube, if you do not get it then, you missed a great free opportunity.

I have what I call my aiming system, it works well for me, when I do everything right from setup, to stoke, follow through, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Nick Varner came to PHX Area one year to visit friend who owned Main Street in Mesa. did Pool demo it was free, and poorly attend because so close to Christmas.

He said pool is an easy game.

Sink first ball.

Move cue ball on to spot for easy next shot, again, again, again. His thing was Cueball control, and he did it well. If the Hard, not very possible, do the safety thing, leave opponent in bad position.

Knowing AIMING is like have a Nail, and no hammer, or thing to pound nail into.

JMHO

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Perfect Aim and what I teach stands on it's own. Do you really think that everyone that got on here is someone I tricked into thinking this works.

That's it? I brainwashed all my students. That's why they keep posting great results. All of them. Not just some.

My latest student that got on here asked me what is wrong with some of these players. This really wprks. How sad.

But I see that everyone has a purpose on AZ. And it's good that everyone doesn't always agree with everything.

But usually they have to disagree except I don't think so. Don't think and no think kind of make you miss out on allot of good things in life. :thumbup:

Stan like John Barton go tired of the harassment from the EXPERTS on the Forum. No Geno you do not give up, you have been pollution the Main Forum 11 YEARS, with you sales pitch.

Your selling something, your DVD, and Lesson. There is a Section for Selling Stuff. Wanted & For Sale.

IMHO your pitch & DVD should not be on the main forum.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mentioned your health issues in the Aiming Basement. In the context of this thread it comes off as a play for sympathy. Just saying.
Speedy recovery anyway. :thumbup2:

I wasn't here for any of the Aim wars. I think the reason for the flaming is the oddball estimation method without credible examples in Shuffett's case and in both your cases the 100% marketing ploy. I gotta say eye training makes sense to "only three angles in pool" not making any but spam is spam.

The testimonials? They are just text "confirming" that something you won't detail actually works. :shrug: Like I said back there, we all know pool actually works. Most of us know how it (and small bits of the universe) actually work. Those of us driven to be in the rooms at the tables have also taken the steps to craft out WHAT actually works.

You wonder that the crowd here got on game with you guys?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if it's CTE you seek to learn, John Barton has beat it too death on U-tube, if you do not get it then, you missed a great free opportunity.

I have what I call my aiming system, it works well for me, when I do everything right from setup, to stoke, follow through, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Nick Varner came to PHX Area one year to visit friend who owned Main Street in Mesa. did Pool demo it was free, and poorly attend because so close to Christmas.

He said pool is an easy game.

Sink first ball.

Move cue ball on to spot for easy next shot, again, again, again. His thing was Cueball control, and he did it well. If the Hard, not very possible, do the safety thing, leave opponent in bad position.

Knowing AIMING is like have a Nail, and no hammer, or thing to pound nail into.

JMHO

Puhleez wit da CTE. Pool will sit there on the table waiting for you to figure it out. Kids with no stroke and a couple hours can figure out multiple ball combinations. CTE is still working out which of the three angles you use.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Y

Except he's not delusional. He's a well educated family man.
And CTE is fully developed and explained.