Best pool books

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas that is burning a hole in my pocket. What are the best pool books out there? I am mostly interested in advanced instruction, but if there are any others such as Playing Off The Rail (which I have), I might be interested in them as well.

Thanks!

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
If you're looking for a great read...

I received a Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas that is burning a hole in my pocket. What are the best pool books out there? I am mostly interested in advanced instruction, but if there are any others such as Playing Off The Rail (which I have), I might be interested in them as well.

Thanks!

Since you said that you might also be interested in reading about pool stories, I'd offer up Hustler Days by R.A. Dyer.

I really liked this book as I enjoy hearing and reading about old school pool stories!

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Freddy Bentivegna

Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna has two superb books out. A bunch of us have been clamoring for another volume.

"The GosPool" is one that I guarantee that you'll look thru again & again. If you love reading and learning about the characters in our great sport, that is the book for you. He also has one dedicated to banking entitled "Banking with The Beard." Awesome info.

His website has a veritable "farmer's market" assortment of pool related wares. Here's the link.....http://www.bankingwiththebeard.com/

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
It's a little hard to make a recommendation without a little more info. Which games are you interested in? About what level do you play now? Have you tried one pocket? Nine ball?

A fun book is "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats which has just been republished. There's a little instruction in the back, but mostly it's stories.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Also by Dyer is Hustler and the Champ. Not as enthralling as his previous one but still quite a good read. It's about the supposed Mosconi - Fats rivalry.

On Snooker by Mordecai Richler is one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed Running the Table, which is Danny Basivich's biography.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Two I can think of are 99 critical shots and any of Phil Cappelles Play Your Best......

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a little hard to make a recommendation without a little more info. Which games are you interested in? About what level do you play now? Have you tried one pocket? Nine ball?

A fun book is "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats which has just been republished. There's a little instruction in the back, but mostly it's stories.

I play at a pretty high level. At least I should again real soon. I have never been that much into one pocket, though I might try it this time around.

My main game is nine ball, but I love 14.1

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up getting Capelle's 9 ball book and the book by Henning that someone mentioned earlier.

I will still listen to any recomendations though! One can never get enough learning!

JarnoV

JarnoV
Silver Member
Bob Fancher's Pleasures of Small Motions. It's mostly about the mental game, but not in the way it's typically discussed. The book doesn't try to teach you how to be tough, but what it really means to concentrate. Among other things.