Flexibility

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'-7" and at times it gets to be uncomfortable to get my chin down over my cue. As a result I tend to shoot a little more upright then I should. I'm thinking about adding a daily stretching routine as I get back into weight training and cardio. My guess is that, the combination of losing 40-50 lbs and improving on flexibility will help my game. Has anyone else seen benefits from daily stretching?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Why do you have to have your "chin down over the cue"?????
SPF=randyg

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lower I get on the cue, the better it seems that I can aim. I sink more balls when I can get a table level view of the cue, CB and OB.

So I assume you asked the question because your experience as an instructor has taught you otherwise?

Why do you have to have your "chin down over the cue"?????
SPF=randyg

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'-7" and at times it gets to be uncomfortable to get my chin down over my cue. As a result I tend to shoot a little more upright then I should. I'm thinking about adding a daily stretching routine as I get back into weight training and cardio. My guess is that, the combination of losing 40-50 lbs and improving on flexibility will help my game. Has anyone else seen benefits from daily stretching?

You can't go wrong with that. Never stretch a cold muscle. Always warm up first. Imagine putting a rubber band in the fridge then stretching it. Warm up first.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The lower I get on the cue, the better it seems that I can aim. I sink more balls when I can get a table level view of the cue, CB and OB.

So I assume you asked the question because your experience as an instructor has taught you otherwise?

Yes, some mighty great modern day players don't get very low on their cue. Of course 50 years ago, not many did at all. Different game different time.

If you pot balls better from a lower head position then thats where your head should be.

I was just wondering why you did, that's all....thanks.
SPF=randyg

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
If you want to be lower on the shot, and find that bending your back isn't the most comfortable option, try kicking your rear foot even farther back. It will lower your center of gravity without putting extra stress on your back.

Steve

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you want to be lower on the shot, and find that bending your back isn't the most comfortable option, try kicking your rear foot even farther back. It will lower your center of gravity without putting extra stress on your back.

Steve

Randy was right as rain, and pooltchr has some good advice, as usual.
What I want to know, however, is how do I get my head out of my ass, which was were it was today, playing One Pocket, and once it's out, how do I keep it out? :)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing 40-50 lbs and increasing your flexibility will increase your entire quality of life, forget about your pool game. Do it.

Check out this video, it will open your eyes up to crap we eat and how our bodies were designed to eat. It might even change your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Randy was right as rain, and pooltchr has some good advice, as usual.
What I want to know, however, is how do I get my head out of my ass, which was were it was today, playing One Pocket, and once it's out, how do I keep it out? :)

I used to have a guy on my team...big guy..6'4" and probably 250. If I started missing shots, Big D would just yell at me "Steve, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!"

Amazing how well that would work, coming from him!!!! :D:D

I can give you his number if you like!

Steve

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

I do a series of stretching after working out. Of course there are benefits that are far more than improving a pool game. The same goes for losing those extra pounds. It is for quality of life and enjoying to able to do things that others can't because they become imprisoned by their poor physical condition.

"The lower I get on the cue, the better it seems that I can aim."

Just about every instructional video that I watch suggest aiming while standing in a upright or port arms position and then getting down in the line of the shot. When down on the ball if you don't feel right you get back up and "aim" again. When down on the shot you should already be "aimed" and you are really just grooving your stroke. Jimmy Reid suggests to practice running a rack of balls at random by just going from port arms into the shot and shooting without taking any practice strokes. It really helps.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Iwouldthink a good one to ask here is Island Drive. he is here often and played pretty well in his day and pretty close to your height. He had a pretty long stroke and managed it pretty darn well.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Stretching, along with an overall health-conscious lifestyle, will absolutely help you at the table and in all other situations. Being ripped might not make you a better player, but being out of shape and having too much bodyfat will catch up with you. I think Pilates or yoga combined with a healthy diet is a great fitness option for pool players.

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Steve

I'll try this while practicing today. Although the long reach is nice, sometimes I wish I could play like I was a foot shorter.

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing 40-50 lbs and increasing your flexibility will increase your entire quality of life, forget about your pool game. Do it.

Agreed. Pool is far from being the motivating factor in improving my health. I see a slight improvement to my game as being a side benefit.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a simple wedge works wonders

I injured my back in '88. After a surgery and recovery I spent months in therapy. A lot of BS and one Monday they had me stand on a wedge shaped wooden contraption. The wedge is between 20-30 degrees and you just stand on it with your toes facing the high side. Danged silly! Doing this in a doorway or where something is handy to grab is a good idea; the wedge is steep enough you can easily lose your balance.

After five days on the heel board I found it so beneficial that the very first thing I did when I got home from physical therapy that Friday was make my own heel board so I wasn't without one over the weekend. Mine is rude and crude made out of scrap I had handy but over twenty years later it still stays by my bed and is used often, usually daily. One NBA team reported vastly reducing injuries just by all members using a heel board. It isn't high tech and maybe they have gadgets to do the same now but thoroughly stretching hamstrings will probably do more for getting down on a pool table than almost anything. As a fringe benefit, stretching your hamstrings lengthens your stride so you take fewer steps in a day's time or a long pool match. Work up to five minutes leaning forward on the board toes straight in front of you or toed in slightly. Don't raise up or do anything to make an exercise out of this, that risks serious injury.

Whatever else you do for exercise add a daily walk or jog. I was amazed at how much difference a daily thirty minute brisk walk made when I already walked miles a day in my normal work.

Anybody playing with a heel board does so at their own risk. Remember to simply stand on it until you work up to five minutes and lean forward when you are ready to. Don't raise up on your toes or do anything to make it into an exercise. Do use it where you have something to hold on to in able to maintain your balance.

The more you need a heel board the worse it feels when you first get on one. You may find calf muscles, behind the knees, thighs, all the way up your back is extremely tight. It is all connected one way or another. Start with three minutes and that may have to be in several efforts a few minutes apart. When five minutes nonstop starts feeling fairly comfortable I started leaning forward. Five minutes is a long time doing nothing so I usually do this where I can see a TV or the computer. A perfect time to watch a pool video on YouTube. Stand on the heel board barefoot or in flat soled shoes. On bad days my hamstrings were so tight that my heels didn't touch the board for the first few minutes.

Anybody tempted to try this, be safe. I'm not a doctor, didn't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I injured my back in '88. After a surgery and recovery I spent months in therapy. A lot of BS and one Monday they had me stand on a wedge shaped wooden contraption. The wedge is between 20-30 degrees and you just stand on it with your toes facing the high side. Danged silly! Doing this in a doorway or where something is handy to grab is a good idea; the wedge is steep enough you can easily lose your balance.

After five days on the heel board I found it so beneficial that the very first thing I did when I got home from physical therapy that Friday was make my own heel board so I wasn't without one over the weekend. Mine is rude and crude made out of scrap I had handy but over twenty years later it still stays by my bed and is used often, usually daily. One NBA team reported vastly reducing injuries just by all members using a heel board. It isn't high tech and maybe they have gadgets to do the same now but thoroughly stretching hamstrings will probably do more for getting down on a pool table than almost anything. As a fringe benefit, stretching your hamstrings lengthens your stride so you take fewer steps in a day's time or a long pool match. Work up to five minutes leaning forward on the board toes straight in front of you or toed in slightly. Don't raise up or do anything to make an exercise out of this, that risks serious injury.

Whatever else you do for exercise add a daily walk or jog. I was amazed at how much difference a daily thirty minute brisk walk made when I already walked miles a day in my normal work.

Anybody playing with a heel board does so at their own risk. Remember to simply stand on it until you work up to five minutes and lean forward when you are ready to. Don't raise up on your toes or do anything to make it into an exercise. Do use it where you have something to hold on to in able to maintain your balance.

The more you need a heel board the worse it feels when you first get on one. You may find calf muscles, behind the knees, thighs, all the way up your back is extremely tight. It is all connected one way or another. Start with three minutes and that may have to be in several efforts a few minutes apart. When five minutes nonstop starts feeling fairly comfortable I started leaning forward. Five minutes is a long time doing nothing so I usually do this where I can see a TV or the computer. A perfect time to watch a pool video on YouTube. Stand on the heel board barefoot or in flat soled shoes. On bad days my hamstrings were so tight that my heels didn't touch the board for the first few minutes.

Anybody tempted to try this, be safe. I'm not a doctor, didn't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hu
You've come up with a lot of good info since i've been at AZ.
I've got a feeling that this wedge thing is real good.
I already like to walk and i'm going to add the wedge.
I'm in better shape than i deserve ,for my age.
This might be the icing on the cake.......thanx....pt