Article about SVB in local paper

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I'd share an article from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader about Shane Van Boening:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/life/2014/12/24/sioux-falls-pool-player-among-best-nation/20829015/

Pocket billiards has been played in every part of the world since the late 1400s, and right now, no one is better at the game than Sioux Falls resident Shane Van Boening.

Van Boening won an unprecedented third straight U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship in October, and the 31-year old is showing no signs of slowing down. He has won four overall U.S. Open titles, and he's ranked No. 1 in the world of 9-ball billiards.

It's not a bad run for a kid whose childhood consisted of playing in pool halls around Rapid City. Van Boening's family has a long pool background, starting with his grandfather, Gray Bloomberg. Bloomberg is a master instructor of the sport and continues to reside in Rapid City.

Van Boening's mother, Timi Bloomberg, and aunt Gari Jo Bloomberg have both won multiple national championships.

The family lineage is clearly there for Van Boening, but he's carved his own path in the sport, sometimes at a cost. While kids in Rapid City ran home to throw the football or baseball around after school, Van Boening immersed himself in dingy pool halls, playing every day, sometimes up to 12 hours at a time, honing his craft.

"I started playing pool when I was 2 years old," Van Boening said. "My grandfather owned a pool room for 30 years in Rapid City. I basically grew up there."

While kids were walking for their graduation at Stevens High School in Rapid City, Van Boening was competing at a national amateur tournament in Las Vegas, which he won.

"The only friends I had were those in the pool world," Van Boening said. "That was the one downside growing up. I didn't have a lot of friends in high school. But I don't regret it."

His uncle and mentor, Mike Bloomberg of Sioux Falls, sees it differently.

"He's got a lot of friends now," Bloomberg said.

Perfecting a sport like pool comes with its share of pitfalls. The rough and tough pool halls around the country can also many times bring shadowy personalities. Van Boening knew from an early age that he didn't want to fall into that stereotype. He never drinks alcohol and carries himself in a manner that's often contradictory to those he plays.

"Growing up in pool halls, I saw a lot of different kinds of people and a lot of different personalities," he said. "I wanted to guide myself in a different way, and I just stayed away from it. There are a lot of rough images growing up in a pool hall, so I grew up realizing I needed to take care of myself."

Catching the billiards bug

Van Boening was 17 years old when he realized he could make a run at playing pool for a living. Professional pool player Danny Harriman of Springfield, Mo., was making a tour through the area, making a few extra dollars by hustling unsuspecting challengers.

He made a stop in Rapid City, and Van Boening played him a set (first one to seven victories) for $200. Van Boening won, and his career path was set in motion.

"That was the day when I thought I had a shot at becoming a professional pool player," Van Boening said. "I knew I had at least a chance."

But making money in pool is a racket, and it leads to some shady outposts. At age 19, Van Boening and his Uncle Mike traveled to Dallas, where they stayed for two weeks. Although Van Boening had the hunch he could play for a living, he also got his first life lesson.

"I played Roger Griffis, who was at the time a top-10 player in the world," Van Boening said. "I played him for all the money I had, and he gave me a good six-hour lesson."

Hustling no more

Looking to cash in on Van Boening's talent, he and his uncle made a trip to Tennessee to play some of the top players in the South. They eventually ran into John Hennessey, a hot-headed professional who owned the state of Tennessee in regards to pool.

The first time the two played, Hennessey took Van Boening for $2,000. But for as much as it stung to lose the money, the most frustrating part for Van Boening is that he knew he was better.

"He's a bad sport," Van Boening said of Hennessey. "I let him get in my head, and it worked. He *****es. He gripes. He throws things. I didn't want to have anything to do with him. He was driving me crazy."

After another loss to Hennessey, Van Boening was ready to pack it up and head back to South Dakota. But his uncle knew this was Van Boening's only chance to prove to himself that he could play for a living, and he knew that if he was unable to beat Hennessey, his chances were over.

"I told him it was time to play Hennesseey again, but he wanted no part of it," Mike Bloomberg said. "I told Shane that he was going to play him and beat him, or we're going to lose all our money along the way."

"You're supposed to beat the guy, and you can," Bloomberg told Shane. "If you don't beat this guy, you won't beat anybody. We're going to gamble every dime we've got until you beat him."

Finally, Van Boening beat him, and it wasn't even close. The match they played easily could have lasted up to 24 hours, but Van Boening dispatched Hennessey in less than an hour. Tens of thousands of dollars changed hands in the pool hall that night as onlookers bet on each player. When it was over, Hennessey grabbed the cue ball and threw it at Van Boening, striking him square in the chest.

"When he threw the cue ball at me, I realized I wanted to go back home and I didn't want to gamble anymore," Van Boening said. "I just wanted to play in professional tournaments after that. I knew things were too dangerous in that environment, and I knew I could get hurt."

Bloomberg knew they'd broken through, however, and that Van Boening cleared a major hurdle.

"Shane kept saying, 'He can't beat me. He can't beat me.' That's when I knew," Bloomberg said. "He just beat one of the best well-known pool gamblers in the country. A real grinder, who knows how to match up. Hennessey makes his money gambling and not at tournaments. Shane destroyed him."

On to the pro ranks

Van Boening now travels the world, competing in sanctioned tournaments. He's been to 35 countries since turning professional in 2007, and he plays two or three tournaments each month, winning an average of 20 tournaments a year.

The grind and hustle of the seedy pool halls around the country are behind him now. He makes an honest living playing pool, but he's one of the few. Only about five professionals make enough money to do it for a living.

"I sometimes miss going around the country playing other people, but I'd never go into a bar and try and hustle somebody," Van Boening said. "I kind of miss the guys chirping at me and the excitement."

Instead, "The South Dakota kid" — a name given to Van Boening when he was traveling throughout the South — keeps a low profile and stays focused. Bloomberg called him the most focused, determined individual he's ever met.

Van Boening's goal is to play professionally until he's 50 years old. But just like any other sport, there are factors that can manipulate his longevity. Money is an obvious need, and so his health.

"As I'm getting older, my body is wearing out," he said. "I try and stay active, but it's harder to maintain that level than when I was younger. Your shoulders and your back can let you down."

Until the finances or muscular functions give out, Van Boening will continue to travel the world, sign autographs and enjoy the ride of being the best in the world.

"I had a goal when I was younger that I wanted to be a U.S. Open champion, and I've already accomplished that," he said. "Over the years I've set new goals, and it's basically that I want to enjoy myself at playing pool. The more you enjoy it, the more you win. That's how I look at it."

That formula seems to be clearly working.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I really have a hard time hearing about a pool player throwing a CB at someone that beat him fair and square with no hustle. Sorry, where I come from he probably would never be able to play anther game of pool or do much else. Johnnyt

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really have a hard time hearing about a pool player throwing a CB at someone that beat him fair and square with no hustle. Sorry, where I come from he probably would never be able to play anther game of pool or do much else. Johnnyt

Yea, if that story was true, thats pretty shitty.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely. Would he have thrown the cue ball at a Dennis Hatch? Probably not, so the crime was not only throwing the cue ball, but trying to pick on a skinny kid as well. That would've set me off.

I was watching Shane interviewed on espn during that tournament of champions recently and he told of how he didn't have many friends in school and just played pool. We are watching a real life storybook ending unfold and it's really special. How many Disney feel good movies are made about the family guy who makes the big leagues type theme? This is one of them. I'm waiting for Hollywood to catch on.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's not that interesting of an article about SVB - that's more of a story about Hennessey.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thought I'd share an article from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader about Shane Van Boening:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/life/2014/12/24/sioux-falls-pool-player-among-best-nation/20829015/

Pocket billiards has been played in every part of the world since the late 1400s, and right now, no one is better at the game than Sioux Falls resident Shane Van Boening.

Van Boening won an unprecedented third straight U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship in October, and the 31-year old is showing no signs of slowing down. He has won four overall U.S. Open titles, and he's ranked No. 1 in the world of 9-ball billiards.

It's not a bad run for a kid whose childhood consisted of playing in pool halls around Rapid City. Van Boening's family has a long pool background, starting with his grandfather, Gray Bloomberg. Bloomberg is a master instructor of the sport and continues to reside in Rapid City.

Van Boening's mother, Timi Bloomberg, and aunt Gari Jo Bloomberg have both won multiple national championships.

The family lineage is clearly there for Van Boening, but he's carved his own path in the sport, sometimes at a cost. While kids in Rapid City ran home to throw the football or baseball around after school, Van Boening immersed himself in dingy pool halls, playing every day, sometimes up to 12 hours at a time, honing his craft.

"I started playing pool when I was 2 years old," Van Boening said. "My grandfather owned a pool room for 30 years in Rapid City. I basically grew up there."

While kids were walking for their graduation at Stevens High School in Rapid City, Van Boening was competing at a national amateur tournament in Las Vegas, which he won.

"The only friends I had were those in the pool world," Van Boening said. "That was the one downside growing up. I didn't have a lot of friends in high school. But I don't regret it."

His uncle and mentor, Mike Bloomberg of Sioux Falls, sees it differently.

"He's got a lot of friends now," Bloomberg said.

Perfecting a sport like pool comes with its share of pitfalls. The rough and tough pool halls around the country can also many times bring shadowy personalities. Van Boening knew from an early age that he didn't want to fall into that stereotype. He never drinks alcohol and carries himself in a manner that's often contradictory to those he plays.

"Growing up in pool halls, I saw a lot of different kinds of people and a lot of different personalities," he said. "I wanted to guide myself in a different way, and I just stayed away from it. There are a lot of rough images growing up in a pool hall, so I grew up realizing I needed to take care of myself."

Catching the billiards bug

Van Boening was 17 years old when he realized he could make a run at playing pool for a living. Professional pool player Danny Harriman of Springfield, Mo., was making a tour through the area, making a few extra dollars by hustling unsuspecting challengers.

He made a stop in Rapid City, and Van Boening played him a set (first one to seven victories) for $200. Van Boening won, and his career path was set in motion.

"That was the day when I thought I had a shot at becoming a professional pool player," Van Boening said. "I knew I had at least a chance."

But making money in pool is a racket, and it leads to some shady outposts. At age 19, Van Boening and his Uncle Mike traveled to Dallas, where they stayed for two weeks. Although Van Boening had the hunch he could play for a living, he also got his first life lesson.

"I played Roger Griffis, who was at the time a top-10 player in the world," Van Boening said. "I played him for all the money I had, and he gave me a good six-hour lesson."

Hustling no more

Looking to cash in on Van Boening's talent, he and his uncle made a trip to Tennessee to play some of the top players in the South. They eventually ran into John Hennessey, a hot-headed professional who owned the state of Tennessee in regards to pool.

The first time the two played, Hennessey took Van Boening for $2,000. But for as much as it stung to lose the money, the most frustrating part for Van Boening is that he knew he was better.

"He's a bad sport," Van Boening said of Hennessey. "I let him get in my head, and it worked. He *****es. He gripes. He throws things. I didn't want to have anything to do with him. He was driving me crazy."

After another loss to Hennessey, Van Boening was ready to pack it up and head back to South Dakota. But his uncle knew this was Van Boening's only chance to prove to himself that he could play for a living, and he knew that if he was unable to beat Hennessey, his chances were over.

"I told him it was time to play Hennesseey again, but he wanted no part of it," Mike Bloomberg said. "I told Shane that he was going to play him and beat him, or we're going to lose all our money along the way."

"You're supposed to beat the guy, and you can," Bloomberg told Shane. "If you don't beat this guy, you won't beat anybody. We're going to gamble every dime we've got until you beat him."

Finally, Van Boening beat him, and it wasn't even close. The match they played easily could have lasted up to 24 hours, but Van Boening dispatched Hennessey in less than an hour. Tens of thousands of dollars changed hands in the pool hall that night as onlookers bet on each player. When it was over, Hennessey grabbed the cue ball and threw it at Van Boening, striking him square in the chest.

"When he threw the cue ball at me, I realized I wanted to go back home and I didn't want to gamble anymore," Van Boening said. "I just wanted to play in professional tournaments after that. I knew things were too dangerous in that environment, and I knew I could get hurt."

Bloomberg knew they'd broken through, however, and that Van Boening cleared a major hurdle.

"Shane kept saying, 'He can't beat me. He can't beat me.' That's when I knew," Bloomberg said. "He just beat one of the best well-known pool gamblers in the country. A real grinder, who knows how to match up. Hennessey makes his money gambling and not at tournaments. Shane destroyed him."

On to the pro ranks

Van Boening now travels the world, competing in sanctioned tournaments. He's been to 35 countries since turning professional in 2007, and he plays two or three tournaments each month, winning an average of 20 tournaments a year.

The grind and hustle of the seedy pool halls around the country are behind him now. He makes an honest living playing pool, but he's one of the few. Only about five professionals make enough money to do it for a living.

"I sometimes miss going around the country playing other people, but I'd never go into a bar and try and hustle somebody," Van Boening said. "I kind of miss the guys chirping at me and the excitement."

Instead, "The South Dakota kid" — a name given to Van Boening when he was traveling throughout the South — keeps a low profile and stays focused. Bloomberg called him the most focused, determined individual he's ever met.

Van Boening's goal is to play professionally until he's 50 years old. But just like any other sport, there are factors that can manipulate his longevity. Money is an obvious need, and so his health.

"As I'm getting older, my body is wearing out," he said. "I try and stay active, but it's harder to maintain that level than when I was younger. Your shoulders and your back can let you down."

Until the finances or muscular functions give out, Van Boening will continue to travel the world, sign autographs and enjoy the ride of being the best in the world.

"I had a goal when I was younger that I wanted to be a U.S. Open champion, and I've already accomplished that," he said. "Over the years I've set new goals, and it's basically that I want to enjoy myself at playing pool. The more you enjoy it, the more you win. That's how I look at it."

That formula seems to be clearly working.

Mr 5994 is very politically correct but his story is not exactly accurate. I did play Van Boening at a brand new pool room with fast cloth and bucket pockets in Rapid City. What he failed to mention was the second day I found a different pool room with slower cloth and tighter pockets. In that pool room I won the money, I lost two sets the first day not one and the second set Shane ran the set out (seven racks). But they were side betting against me on day two and I ended up the victor as far as getting the cash. So it was Van Boening that unscrewed his cue on day two, I started playing better and he was not playing as well as he does today. Although in an all-around format (including 3-cushion) I don't think I would be such a heavy underdog. To go a bit further if I had a billionaire backer I would gladly try him a race to 1000 points in straight pool. Mr 5994 is obviously trying to give Roger Griffis a boost and or just did not know the real story on the match between Shane and I that SECOND DAY in Rapid City.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I was not hustling

Also I was not 'hustling' pool as he so eloquently stated. Or in other words I was not hiding my speed, I was looking for anyone in that state to compete with - they would get to see my best game real quick. My definition of hustling is acquiring a'line' on the town and staying away from the better players untill the last. I knew that Van Boening was a junior champion but did not travel there to play him I was just taking one last road trip with my friend. So I just wanted to clear the air on Mr5995's post - his info is a bit misleading. Van Boening is a champion caliber player for sure. Kinda' interesting though how these yahoos' like mr5994 throw words around like rice at their wedding. They also put it in some IPT publication about how Shane ran 7 racks on me in a race to seven and I got in my car and drove back to MO - which was nothing more than yellow journalism. Does Mr5994 or whatever have anything to say about day two between Van Boening and myself - I think not. Sorry 5994 maybe you only heard one side of the story but I will not allow you to 'hustle' the viewers of this forum.

Last edited:

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Prompt response as always Danny.

Do you just search your name once every month or two and respond to everything at once?

Glad you are feeling better, let this petty obsessive behavior go, less stress helps your health.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member

Ain't that the truth!!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I was not 'hustling' pool as he so eloquently stated. Or in other words I was not hiding my speed, I was looking for anyone in that state to compete with - they would get to see my best game real quick. My definition of hustling is acquiring a'line' on the town and staying away from the better players untill the last. I knew that Van Boening was a junior champion but did not travel there to play him I was just taking one last road trip with my friend. So I just wanted to clear the air on Mr5995's post - his info is a bit misleading. Van Boening is a champion caliber player for sure. Kinda' interesting though how these yahoos' like mr5994 throw words around like rice at their wedding. They also put it in some IPT publication about how Shane ran 7 racks on me in a race to seven and I got in my car and drove back to MO - which was nothing more than yellow journalism. Does Mr5994 or whatever have anything to say about day two between Van Boening and myself - I think not. Sorry 5994 maybe you only heard one side of the story but I will not allow you to 'hustle' the viewers of this forum.

Hello Danny, glad you are feeling better. One thing, I don't think these are Mr5995's words, rather they are quotes from a newspaper article which he linked. The author of the article is Tom Savage.

Hope you are back to full speed soon.

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Danny, First off glad you are feeling better!!

I do agree with you 100% that, IF they embellished the story regarding you hustling unsuspecting challengers, it's not fair to you or your image.

Secondly, you should have no issue with the other part about when Shane had the light bulb moment after beating you the first set. So what that they didn't chronicle your entire two day session. It's not like they said Shane busted you and sent you packing. The article only stated that Shane realized at that moment that he had a chance to compete after that first set. It was just one small point to the larger story.

So lighten up a little. It's a feel good story. And also the article was pretty long so they didn't have time to notate each and every intricate detail about y'alls encounter that day and the following day. Plus, if they would have it wouldn't have felt like such a feel good story about a home town kid that is one of the classiest, humble top flight players you will ever meet.

Shane is a classy guy and a humble guy.

And finally, I could be wrong but I don't believe that MR5995 wrote the article, he only posted it on the forum for all of us who are fans of Shane Van Boening to enjoy.

If MR5995 did NOT write the article I believe you owe him an apology for calling him names.

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I've seen Hennessee try some tough guy stuff in Houston and all most got killed. I can not stand the vibe of that guy. He's an addict and a disgrace to this sport. What an absolute douche bag. Every time I've ever seen him in action he causes trouble.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Danny, First off glad you are feeling better!!

I do agree with you 100% that, IF they embellished the story regarding you hustling unsuspecting challengers, it's not fair to you or your image.

Secondly, you should have no issue with the other part about when Shane had the light bulb moment after beating you the first set. So what that they didn't chronicle your entire two day session. It's not like they said Shane busted you and sent you packing. The article only stated that Shane realized at that moment that he had a chance to compete after that first set. It was just one small point to the larger story.

So lighten up a little. It's a feel good story. And also the article was pretty long so they didn't have time to notate each and every intricate detail about y'alls encounter that day and the following day. Plus, if they would have it wouldn't have felt like such a feel good story about a home town kid that is one of the classiest, humble top flight players you will ever meet.

Shane is a classy guy and a humble guy.

And finally, I could be wrong but I don't believe that MR5995 wrote the article, he only posted it on the forum for all of us who are fans of Shane Van Boening to enjoy.

If MR5995 did NOT write the article I believe you owe him an apology for calling him names.
I don't mind Mr Harriman putting the record straight...
Paul Harvey made a living telling us 'the rest of the story'..

There WAS a sin of omission involved, which is very forgivable, but I
think Danny was quite justified in telling his side...

The article was written by Tom Savage for Argus....
...and it would be good of the OP to acknowledge.

I think the only apology needed here is from you, Hung....
...the OP is Mr5994, not 5995.
Call a man by his right name!
:)

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Blame it on me, PT110....I made the mistake first....:p

Guess I overestimated him.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Sorry PT, nice try, but you are out of line. Danny called Mr5994 a yahoo for "writing" the story. As you confirmed Mr5994 did NOT write the story, he simply posted a link and the text. Therefore Danny owes the apology..