What size shaft do you play with?

What tip diameter do you use?

• Total voters

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
If this has been done recently, my bad. I couldn't find it. No particular reason for doing this...well yeah, there is. Stopped by a pool hall I haven't been to in a while. Haven't played in a while for that matter. Saw an older gentleman working on this shot where he did a full table bank. The object ball was placed on the spot and he placed the ball he would hit about half way from it to the rail. He playing a draw.

FYI, this was in a pool hall with 9ft, double shimmed tables, where one-pocket is played a lot. Anywho, I asked him if I could try. I got close on a few and successfully had two shots do what they were supposed to do. After a while, I realized something, I didn't have any special LD shaft or tip to do this and I was using a one piece cue. So it got me thinking, "Do I really need anything but a regular maple shaft?"

Understand, I'm a pool gear junkie! I love checking out the latest and great stuff, gimmick or not, that comes out. Especially when it comes to shafts and tips! *cough*KamuiClearSuperSoft*cough* Almost EVERYONE making an LD shaft is at 12.75mm or 11.75mm or close to it. Only OB makes an LD shaft that's 13mm. (at least that's what I know for now.) I also see that many of the top cue makers STILL sell their cues with traditional 13mm shafts. So I guess my question after all of this, is why the big switch to smaller diameters?

I mean the LD market has been going on for years now and even pros use them. But like I mentioned earlier, OB is the ONLY one making 13mm LD shafts. Anyway, thanks for reading my question, taking a part in the poll and adding your two cents.

Daris L. Cotton

PS

Need to change my signature, don't have those cues anymore. :(

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.75mm to 13mm.........all my cues' shafts fall within this range........the vast majority are 12.75mm and have extended pro tapers.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This is not true. Predator marketed larger diameter shafts, their FAT shaft came in at 13.2 mm, a few years ago. Voting with their wallet, many Predator customers prefer the 314 & Z series over the FAT.

https://www.seyberts.com/predator-s...t-sale-from-199.00/predator-314-2-fat-shafts/

For years, it was noticed that smaller diameter shafts like snooker cues have lesser squirt than larger diameter shafts because they have less end mass. When Lower Deflection shafts were first started being mass produced, one of the ways to achieve consistent low deflection was to start with a smaller shaft diameter.

If we were talking about cars then I think LD technology could be compared to the automatic transmission. It could make it easier for more people to drive the cue ball.

If this has been done recently, my bad. I couldn't find it. No particular reason for doing this...well yeah, there is. Stopped by a pool hall I haven't been to in a while. Haven't played in a while for that matter. Saw an older gentleman working on this shot where he did a full table bank. The object ball was placed on the spot and he placed the ball he would hit about half way from it to the rail. He playing a draw.

FYI, this was in a pool hall with 9ft, double shimmed tables, where one-pocket is played a lot. Anywho, I asked him if I could try. I got close on a few and successfully had two shots do what they were supposed to do. After a while, I realized something, I didn't have any special LD shaft or tip to do this and I was using a one piece cue. So it got me thinking, "Do I really need anything but a regular maple shaft?"

Understand, I'm a pool gear junkie! I love checking out the latest and great stuff, gimmick or not, that comes out. Especially when it comes to shafts and tips! *cough*KamuiClearSuperSoft*cough* Almost EVERYONE making an LD shaft is at 12.75mm or 11.75mm or close to it. Only OB makes an LD shaft that's 13mm. (at least that's what I know for now.) I also see that many of the top cue makers STILL sell their cues with traditional 13mm shafts. So I guess my question after all of this, is why the big switch to smaller diameters?

I mean the LD market has been going on for years now and even pros use them. But like I mentioned earlier, OB is the ONLY one making 13mm LD shafts. Anyway, thanks for reading my question, taking a part in the poll and adding your two cents.

Daris L. Cotton

PS

Need to change my signature, don't have those cues anymore. :(

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Thanks ctyhntr! I Honestly forgot all about the FAT shafts!. Hmm...I don't feel so bad about being a shaft/tip junkie now. LOL!

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12mm solid maple shaft for me. I've played 11.75, 12.75, and 13. 12mm is my favorite these days.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am playing with a Predator 314-2 FAT shaft -- 13.2mm.

For the majority of my life I played with a 14mm regular shaft and would buy and use them again if I were in the market for a new shaft.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting that CJ himself remembers playing Cigar Tom at the Flamingo many years ago, and of course Cigar was my Sensai lol CJ put it at a pencil thin shaft.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I took 12,75mm (Tiger LD) and other, because recently I've been getting into a Snooker-style shaft (not a full Snooker cue, mind you):
9mm :grin-square: