Linen ID?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was recently sold a 50 yd length of old fishing line that was claimed to by white/green speck Cortland linen. The line was reportedly obtained from a spool with Cortland labels. I like the look and feel of the line. But I got a bit curious about it. The line is 0.031” in diameter measured by both digital and mechanical micrometers. It is comprised of three threads each of which measures ~0.016”, one of which contains a green sub-strand. My understanding is that Cortland and Penn white/green speck linens are 0.025” (please let me know if I am misinformed). I wrote to Cortland and showed the enclosed pictures. Their product manager responded with her belief that this line was not made by their company. Trying to remain open-minded about its identity, perhaps current workers at Cortland are not fully aware of characteristics of products produced by their company >40 years ago.

Does anybody on this forum have an idea the origin and make up of this old fishing line?
Is it actually Cortland?
Other ideas about potential manufacturers?
Is it flax linen?
Any experiences using line that is this thick for cue wraps?
How deep would the wrap groove need to be cut?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Greg

Attachments

• Old fishing line 1024.jpg
    Old fishing line 1024.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Old fishing line closeup.jpg
    Old fishing line closeup.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 324

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The only thing I'm able to offer is regarding wrap-channel depth.
If the linen is .031" I would cut the channel for a .026/.027" depth per side.
As the linen is pressed it will flatten both top and bottom.
I don't like to sand on linen as it thins the cordage and not always equally.
Done correctly, this should be a nice wrap.

KJ

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Done correctly, this should be a nice wrap.

KJ

Thanks for the response. I need to decide if I keep or return it. My biggest hesitation is the depth of the groove. For the right cue, it would look great. I am not so sure if I own that cue.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Wrap channel depth can be adjusted, up or down, by a competent C-Tec.
Some of the Predator cues with 'rubber-wrap' have an incredibly deep channel, .065/.075" per side.
Those get built-up with wood veneer to a depth that now accepts linen, leather, cork or whatever.
The point that I'm trying to convey is that just because the linen you have is SLIGHTLY thicker,
certainly doesn't mean that your cue is now 'stuck' with the new channel depth.
It can easily be returned to it's org. depth. Choice is yours.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Probably either Blue Mountain or Hurlbert
Cable laid linen
I bought a bunch of it several years ago when a cuemaker closed his shop

20180211_040306.jpg

20180211_040348.jpg

20180211_040820.jpg

bstroud

Deceased
Hurlbert was not cable layed.

I know because I was the one that asked them to make the first linen for pool cues.

I was in Aspen and was told by Cortland that they would stop making the linen I was then using.

I worked with Hurlbert to develop the linen for pool cues.

I bought 500 pounds, kept 50 and sold the rest to Szambodi, Gina, Joss, Black, Shone, Viking and McDermott. I still have the original order receipt.

It is 3 twisted pairs not cable layed. Looks much different.

Never used Blue Mountain.

Bill S.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. My belief is that my line is 12-thread (3x4) cable-laid line made by a company other than Cortland.