the hustler (1961) script

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that was good.

A few things it clarified for me. When Eddie was strangling Bert, and a scream was heard, I always thought it was Eddie crying that Sarah was dead. But the script says it was Bert crying/yelling cause Eddie was attacking him.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that was good.

A few things it clarified for me. When Eddie was strangling Bert, and a scream was heard, I always thought it was Eddie crying that Sarah was dead. But the script says it was Bert crying/yelling cause Eddie was attacking him.

nice one..just reading that scene is chilling

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also always thought “picked it up in a hotel room in Louisville” was spoken by a narrator or someone other than Eddie. Script proves I’m wrong and it was Eddie:) ha ha.

I think 20 years ago I even bet the Housman it wasn’t Eddie.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also always thought “picked it up in a hotel room in Louisville” was spoken by a narrator or someone other than Eddie. Script proves I’m wrong and it was Eddie:) ha ha.

I think 20 years ago I even bet the Housman it wasn’t Eddie.

many times voices can be "voiced over" for the final movie release cut- scripts are changed/ scenes redone/ edited in or out etc. etc.- rarely do we have a script that is exact to a movie- rarely!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... in that cheap, crummy poolroom...
Now, why'd I do it, Sarah? Why'd I
do it? I coulda beat that guy, I
coulda beat him cold. He never woulda
known. But I just had to show 'em, I
just had to show those creeps and
those punks what the game is like
when it's great, when it's really
great. You know, like anything can
be great -- anything can be great...
I don't care, bricklaying can be
great. If a guy knows. If he knows
what he's doing and why, and if he
can make it come off. I mean, when
I'm goin' -- when I'm really goin' --
I feel like...
(beat)
... like a jockey must feel. He's
sittin' on his horse, he's got all
that speed and that power underneath
him, he's comin' into the stretch,
the pressure's on him -- and he knows --
just feels -- when to let it go, and
how much. 'Cause he's got everything
workin' for him -- timing, touch.
It's a great feeling, boy, it's a
real great feeling when you're right,
and you know you're right. It's like
all of a sudden I got oil in my arm.
Pool cue's part of me. You know,
it's a -- pool cue's got nerves in
it. It's a piece of wood -- it's got
nerves in it. You feel the roll of
those balls. You don't have to look.
You just know. Ya make shots that
nobody's ever made before. And you
play that game the way nobody's ever
played it before.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My favorite line in the entire movie is "yeah sure" in this sequence, occurring as Findlay, who has just been hustled on his own three cushion table, pays the wager to Bert.

FINDLEY
Here.
(to Eddie)
Been an interestin' evening.
EDDIE
Yeah, sure has.
FINDLEY
(to a valet)
Charles, will you call a cab for
these gentlemen, please.
(to Eddie)
I'd show you to the door, but I...
EDDIE
Oh yeah, yeah. You're tired.
(to Bert)
And beat.
FINDLEY
Yeah. You must come again.
EDDIE
Yeah. Sure.

This little three way chat, to me, encapsulates the spirit of the entire movie, and frames some of the attitudes and temperaments so often found in the seedy world of pool hustling. Findlay does what he can to maintain his dignity in the face of overwhelming defeat. The invitation from Findlay to come back is met with a very sarcastic "yeah sure" from Eddie, who, in an isolated moment of conscience, understands that it's on to the next unsuspecting fish in the world of pool hustling.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a great feeling, boy, it's a
real great feeling when you're right,
and you know you're right. It's like
all of a sudden I got oil in my arm.
Pool cue's part of me. You know,
it's a -- pool cue's got nerves in
it. It's a piece of wood -- it's got
nerves in it. You feel the roll of
those balls. You don't have to look.
You just know.

nice one, ken! one of my faves, too~

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite line in the entire movie is "yeah sure" in this sequence, occurring as Findlay, who has just been hustled on his own three cushion table, pays the wager to Bert.

FINDLEY
Here.
(to Eddie)
Been an interestin' evening.
EDDIE
Yeah, sure has.
FINDLEY
(to a valet)
Charles, will you call a cab for
these gentlemen, please.
(to Eddie)
I'd show you to the door, but I...
EDDIE
Oh yeah, yeah. You're tired.
(to Bert)
And beat.
FINDLEY
Yeah. You must come again.
EDDIE
Yeah. Sure.

This little three way chat, to me, encapsulates the spirit of the entire movie, and frames some of the attitudes and temperaments so often found in the seedy world of pool hustling. Findlay does what he can to maintain his dignity in the face of overwhelming defeat. The invitation from Findlay to come back is met with a very sarcastic "yeah sure" from Eddie, who, in an isolated moment of conscience, understands that it's on to the next unsuspecting fish in the world of pool hustling.

sweet sum, stu-
"the hustler" really is a special story and film
I feel like the creators were lucky to have such a rich (pool) world to tap into
but also pool is lucky to have "the hustler" to come back to, even all these years later

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A movie classic in so many ways, the acting, the camera work, the background jazz music, the plot, the chosen venues and themes ( pool halls, pool hustling, dive bars, rail birds, wounded women, hustling men, steakhorse sharks, ) Every main character revealing within the context of the entire movie, their character, their flaws, their ultimate demise( physically or morally) or redemption.

For a solid five years, from 61-66; until the Vietnam war started to claim into the draft hundreds of thousands of 18 to 25 year old non college attending men; an entire nationwide business of pool rooms and home pool tables erupted from this great movie. I can remember as a 9 year old in 1962 when our home table arrived at Christmas - I have never stopped playing - as has my 72 year old brother who served two years in that war with honor.