2018 WPA World 9 Ball

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
2. I read on facebook that Corey said the tournament instituted a shot clock for all matches in the final 8 and it caused him to rush a couple of shots. All of these guys should have no problem with a shot clock, but putting a shot clock in for the final 8 matches makes no sense. There is no need to speed up play since it is single elimination, you are down to 8 players, it is the last match of the day in a tournament that already spread out it's matches across and entire week including a day off in the middle for a holiday. I just don't understand the point of it.

I did not know this. I'm surprised Kazakis managed to play with the clock. I'm not surprised it bothered Corey.
Thanks for posting that and to all for the updates.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should never be a shot clock in the world championship. The players don’t want it. The referees don’t want it. TV don’t want it.
TV definitely wants a shot clock - the question is whether this is getting any TV exposure, because if it’s not then changing the rules midway through the competition seems like a mistake.

NorthCarolinian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, as usual you are anti American.... and at this point it is painfully obvious... Shane was down 8-5 when you say “bye bye ms. America pie” Who seems to get joy out of someone else losing???
Apparently you do... mean and strange

What did Shane do to you besides continually beating your Filipino heroes like Dennis Orcollo in the race to 100 killing or was it beating Dennis twice in the finals of the US Open?? Or was it when he beat Lee Van Corteza or Ronnie Alcano in the US Open finals???

Or did you stake another Fillipino player and Shane robbed him thus robbed you?

Or is it more personal ?

Because to say what you did comes off as hating or pulling for someone else over Shane which is ok, but how can you pull for someone from Taiwan who can’t even speak English over an American?

Logic says you bet against him one too many times for more money than you could afford to lose... thus your anti Shane stance

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jay Helfert offered to take over the American Mosconi Cup team at his own expense
when their chances of winning seemed almost nil.
...doesn’t seem anti-American to me.

Sounds like you know people that made more generous offers....
....maybe you could list them for us.

Jay, as usual you are anti American.... and at this point it is painfully obvious... Shane was down 8-5 when you say “bye bye ms. America pie” Who seems to get joy out of someone else losing???

What did Shane do to you besides continually beating your Filipino heroes like Dennis Orcollo in the race to 100 killing or was it beating Dennis twice in the finals of the US Open?? Or was it when he beat Lee Van Corteza or Ronnie Alcano in the US Open finals???

Or is it more personal ?

Because to say what you did comes off as hating or pulling for someone else over Shane which is ok, but how can you pull for someone from Taiwan who can’t even speak English over an American?

Logic says you bet against him one too many times for more money than you could afford to lose... thus your anti Shane stance

Corvette hasn’t been on AZ the last little while...
...maybe you could answer my query.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds pretty racist to me. What does him speaking or not speaking English have to do with anything?

Do Americans only have to root for Shane because he is American? Root for anyone else and you are anti-American? Personally, nationality has nothing to do with it. If I like a player, it is based on how he plays and has nothing to do with where he is from.

NorthCarolinian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being the captain of the Mosconi Cup team is a paying gig... So I will offer to “Captain” Team USA as well... how noble of me 😂

And I’m sure Americans like Shane, Sky, Corey, Tyler, Billy and Bergman would love to be “led” by Jay who would talk down to them inadvertently by saying “Shane, Orcollo Would not have missed that ball” Or Corey you need to have more Kiamco like fundamentals 😂😂😂😂😂

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or is it more personal ?

You know NOTHING. Jay and SVB are good friends, and Jay helps Shane with financial/real estate advice. It is probably in large part Jay’s help that allows SVB to not worry about income from pool.

If you don’t know, don’t speak.

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys need to get a life. It’s X-Mas, let’s hope Santa brings Shane a really nice gift

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Being the captain of the Mosconi Cup team is a paying gig... So I will offer to “Captain” Team USA as well... how noble of me 😂

And I’m sure Americans like Shane, Sky, Corey, Tyler, Billy and Bergman would love to be “led” by Jay who would talk down to them inadvertently by saying “Shane, Orcollo Would not have missed that ball” Or Corey you need to have more Kiamco like fundamentals 😂😂😂😂😂

I guess you only read the words you wanted to.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Sounds pretty racist to me. What does him speaking or not speaking English have to do with anything?

Remind me which races do and do not speak English?
Reminds me of an argument I had years ago with JB. I told him I didn't buy products made in China because I hated how China stole our intellectual property. He then proceeded to call me a racist. I would love to see racist become the new n word -mostly banished from language due to its misuse/over use, etc.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remind me which races do and do not speak English?
Reminds me of an argument I had years ago with JB. I told him I didn't buy products made in China because I hated how China stole our intellectual property. He then proceeded to call me a racist. I would love to see racist become the new n word -mostly banished from language due to its misuse/over use, etc.

Don't forget Hater. :p

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two points. 1. There is a reason I have never opened the NPR forum. Let's keep that crap over there.

2. I read on facebook that Corey said the tournament instituted a shot clock for all matches in the final 8 and it caused him to rush a couple of shots. All of these guys should have no problem with a shot clock, but putting a shot clock in for the final 8 matches makes no sense. There is no need to speed up play since it is single elimination, you are down to 8 players, it is the last match of the day in a tournament that already spread out it's matches across and entire week including a day off in the middle for a holiday. I just don't understand the point of it.

They also went to ref racking for today whereas the whole tournament it was rack your own. I saw players inspect the rack but not sure if you were allowed to request a re-rack.
How can a world championship have changing conditions in the middle of the tournament?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They also went to ref racking for today whereas the whole tournament it was rack your own. I saw players inspect the rack but not sure if you were allowed to request a re-rack.
How can a world championship have changing conditions in the middle of the tournament?

In one of the last couple of racks of today's Corey vs Kazakis match the ref racked, Kazakis went up to inspect and didn't like something, looked like one of the wing balls wasn't completely tight. The ref stood there and tightened it up some and Kazakis re-inspected and then went to break.