brunswick GC2 setup & leveling pics-is this right?

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It simonis 860 and yes probably some dimples. It's not a new table. I think the cushions are from 1976 also. I tried to get you down here for the work but you were too far away or busy. If it isn't up to your standards... you could have come done it yourself ;)

Yes it has brushes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4oDT-qk6Y

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It simonis 860 and yes probably some dimples. It's not a new table. I think the cushions are from 1976 also. I tried to get you down here for the work but you were too far away or busy. If it isn't up to your standards... you could have come done it yourself ;)

Yes it has brushes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4oDT-qk6Y

The dimples are from over stretching the cloth over the cushions and not the cushions themselves.

I would not use anything that has brushes. Suction only. Will make your table "fuzzy".

I would just use a shop vac with the bristle attachment to keep it from connecting to the cloth.

As I said my trip got pushed forward. :(

TFT

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I've used roombas for around a decade now, they will not harm quality cloth. They make it last longer, since your cloth will be much cleaner.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I've used roombas for around a decade now, they will not harm quality cloth. They make it last longer, since your cloth will be much cleaner.

Lets see a pic of your Simonis close up? Did you notice the material coming off his table? Simonis does not pill or shed unless you MAKE IT. I stick behind my statement, no moving bristles. Shop vac with suction only...

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Lets see a pic of your Simonis close up? Did you notice the material coming off his table? Simonis does not pill or shed unless you MAKE IT. I stick behind my statement, no moving bristles. Shop vac with suction only...

TFT

Dont go on my word alone, a quote directly from the Simonis website:

"The cloth can be brushed, but to remove the chalk and talc powders, it can be cleaned with the new Simonis X-1® or it can be carefully vacuumed with a non-rotating brush-head attachment that does not allow for too much suction to be formed. Some small vacuums can pick up bowling balls, but this will only stretch the cloth on the table and possibly harm the grouting of the slates as well. You should test your vacuum and brush attachment off of the table first to make certain that it is not going to damage the play surface. Less is more in this department. After all, you are trying to remove a fine powder from a smooth cloth, so don't overdo it. The Simonis X-1®, is a new device that will allow you to keep your cloth in great playing condition and extend the cloth's life by actually removing the chalk dust from the cloth.

The cloth can also be wiped with a damp (not wet) clean towel. This should only be done after the table has been vacuumed otherwise the dampness may cause the chalk dust to clump together (think of it as adding water to dry clay). Once the dampness has completely evaporated, a quick brushing or a few strokes with the Simonis X-1® is all you will need before playing as moisture will cause the fibers in the cloth to stand up and a quick brushing will smooth things out.

:thumbup:

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took this pic the night the table was completed

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I took this pic the night the table was completed

I was talking to the person giving you bad info. No moving bristles. I am sure his
cloth looks fuzzy close up. Simonis is supposed to stay smooth. Do what you will, but,
I posted what Simonis says and it confirms what I said. I am happy you got your t
able set up, just trying to give you some good advice, take it or leave it:)

TFT

Last edited:

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the neato vacuum took the fuzziness off the cloth. Now it is smooth and crisp. I won't use it every time but it worked so well that I will use it once a month or so. I think if you tried a neato, you'd be blown away at the result.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with Trent on this: no rotating brushes. IMO, using a device such as a Roomba is nothing more than laziness. I've used a shop vac and 15" horse hair attachment for the better part of 5 years (after every 2-3 sessions) with no cloth fragments being picked up, only chalk dust and it takes less than 5 minutes to do. As for chalk dust, there was none under the cloth when I recently tore down my old table after I sold it. I would stay away from the rotating brushes. Simonis should be clean and smooth; not fuzzy at all.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Actually the neato vacuum took the fuzziness off the cloth. Now it is smooth and crisp. I won't use it every time but it worked so well that I will use it once a month or so. I think if you tried a neato, you'd be blown away at the result.

Not sure how there was any "fuzziness"? Brand new Simonis does not have any. Slick as heck and that explains why the balls slide for a while. You do what you think you need to, Simons, Rexus and I have all given you the good info:)

TFT

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did and he actually vouched for my installers and said they are doing it right. He knows them. He said he'd do it the same way if he were to come but he wouldn't come because he's too far.

Just curious, if you had to choose between Mark and Glenn, who would you choose?? LOL
Glad it worked out in the end for you Don.

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my effort to find a unique light, I ended up in touch with bill gibbs the pool cue/guitar maker. I had a pair of vintage stereo speakers listed on ebay that he wanted. He reached out and asked if I was into POOL & would I be interested in a trade. Weird coincidence huh? Anyway, we made a deal that he would build me a custom light for my table and give me one of his custom cues in exchange for the speakers.

He said it would take about 1 month to complete but he needed the LED panels before he could start designing the light. I bought the pair of 2'x4' panels on ebay and had them shipped to his little log hut in rural northern Ga. They arrived on 2/21.

After that it was excuse upon excuse about why he hadn't started yet. Finally, he said "next week" he'd be stapling & glueing wood to start creating the fixture. I believed him even though his communication thus far reeked of someone who had built a life from over promising and under delivering. I've dealt with blowhards like this before.

Anyway, the following week I asked for pics of wood, glue or staples and something resembling a light fixture. He responded that he "doesn't answer to me!". That was when I finally decided I was done being jerked around by the legendary bill gibbs.

I could post the incredibly long thread of messages back and forth about this project and how he was going to do this and do that but then instead , did NOTHING.

I asked him to mail me the LED panels and he finally did. When I got them I could tell from the original tape and staples in the box that he had NEVER EVEN OPENED THE BOX! And, remember he said he needed to see the led fixtures before he could start to design the light. The panels sat at his log cabin for over a month without ever even being opened while he was giving me excuses about why it was taking much longer than expected. .

So, in this thread, there's two blowhards you'd do best to steer clear of. Bill and Mark.

Last edited:

olgoat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are just a lucky guy aren't you. :) I can relate. You didn't say if he got the speakers....

Id ask which panels you bought but you are probably not in a position yet to know if they were the right ones. Good luck

In my effort to find a unique light, I ended up in touch with bill gibbs the pool cue/guitar maker. I had a pair of vintage stereo speakers listed on ebay that he wanted. He reached out and asked if I was into POOL & would I be interested in a trade. Weird coincidence huh? Anyway, we made a deal that he would build me a custom light for my table and give me one of his custom cues in exchange for the speakers.

He said it would take about 1 month to complete but he needed the LED panels before he could start designing the light. I bought the pair of 2'x4' panels on ebay and had them shipped to his little log hut in rural northern Ga. They arrived on 2/21.

After that it was excuse upon excuse about why he hadn't started yet. Finally, he said "next week" he'd be stapling & glueing wood to start creating the fixture. I believed him even though his communication thus far reeked of someone who had built a life from over promising and under delivering. I've dealt with blowhards like this before.

Anyway, the following week I asked for pics of wood, glue or staples and something resembling a light fixture. He responded that he "doesn't answer to me!". That was when I finally decided I was done being jerked around by the legendary bill gibbs.

I could post the incredibly long thread of messages back and forth about this project and how he was going to do this and do that but then instead , did NOTHING.

I asked him to mail me the LED panels and he finally did. When I got them I could tell from the original tape and staples in the box that he had NEVER EVEN OPENED THE BOX! And, remember he said he needed to see the led fixtures before he could start to design the light. The panels sat at his log cabin for over a month without ever even being opened while he was giving me excuses about why it was taking much longer than expected. .

So, in this thread, there's two blowhards you'd do best to steer clear of. Bill and Mark.

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are just a lucky guy aren't you. :) I can relate. You didn't say if he got the speakers....

Id ask which panels you bought but you are probably not in a position yet to know if they were the right ones. Good luck

I got these & have no clue if they are the "right ones". Bill told me to get them. I dunno what to do with them now. LOL. But at least I have them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-2-x-4-LED-Panel-Light-50W-5000K-White-Ceiling-Retrofit-Recessed-UL-DLC/282611119579?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=581794275539&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

He did not get the speakers thank gawd!

Yea, people are generally disappointing. It's a very rare occasion that I get what was promised in the timeframe it was promised. Some people love to self aggrandize, over promise and under deliver.

He did use the coronavirus as an excuse toward the end of our ordeal but the virus wasn't even a "thing" until the last week to 10 days and he'd been dicking me around for close to two months before that.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...I dunno what to do with them now. LOL. But at least I have them. ...snip....

*Not a mechanic*
I used these aluminum extrusions to hang two LED panels over my GC. They screw right to your ceiling. I was happy with them. They give a modern look. They work great as far as amount of light, even though they are flush to the ceiling. My ceiling is 9' high. Just offering another option that is cheap, you can do yourself, and looks good (IMO).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7WSJP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Not a mechanic*
I used these aluminum extrusions to hang two LED panels over my GC. They screw right to your ceiling. I was happy with them. They give a modern look. They work great as far as amount of light, even though they are flush to the ceiling. My ceiling is 9' high. Just offering another option that is cheap, you can do yourself, and looks good (IMO).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7WSJP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thats a great idea IF I had a flat ceiling. Mine is a cathedral type ceiling so I'd need the fixture to hang down, flat above the pool table.