Pechauer Naked Break Cue with Black Ice

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a Pechauer Naked Break Cue with Black Ice shaft a few weeks back so I thought I'd give a review on it.

First impression: Wow is that shaft slick. Crazy slick! It's basically an all grey cue so nothing super stunning to stand out. It does have a great finish and the stained wood looks nice.

By design it's a forward weighted cue. The cue is 18.5 ounces, and 6 oz of that is the shaft. It has Pechauer's quick release pin which stays together nice and snug break after break.

I had problems adjusting to the forward weight at first. Not exactly sure why, because several others that tried it didn't have the same issue. It was only me and some of them shoot better than me, and others not as well. Perhaps I do something different during my break than most, or maybe I was overcompensating for the forward weight. Not sure, but I would aim low on the cue ball, but end up with crazy top on it every time

I ended up breaking much softer to control the cue and after a couple days I adjusted enough and was able to start breaking harder again. Now I control the cue ball like normal.

As far as performance, this cue feels great when you break, and as many on here like to say "it hits a ton". Even when I added the inadvertent top, it felt super solid, and yes, it crushes the rack time and time again.

I don't have much to compare it to. I have used an Andy Gilbert J/B w/ a hammerhead tip for the past 10 years or so, and this breaks just as solid. I have tried a BK Rush a couple times and personally I don't care for the feedback of that, it feels empty to me. My wife had a BK3 that I broke with a few times and I'll say this cue hits just as hard as that did, and perhaps feels a little more solid.

So if you ever get a chance give one a try, and if you are thinking about buying one, I don't think you'll regret it.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I almost never do any full cue jumps, so I'm not very good at it. The formats I play mostly allow jump cues.