have been cocky lately, got a beat down today from a 75 year old

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i mostly practice alone at home and at my pool hall. which i don't mind. lately i have been thinking im the best shooter cents sliced bread. well today i wanted to practice on a valley table, so i went to my small bar to play for free on their valley. ran into jim, 75, been playing forever.

started playing 8 ball. if i missed one shot, or two shots, it was over. i was playing really well, breaking out my bad balls, moving the cue ball around. but i kept missing my key ball, and that was it. 0 for three.

switched to 9 ball, not any better. i missed the shots that i should have made, and jim ran out, over and over again. i could not have played any worse than i did.

knocked my fat ass down a peg or two. jim told some old stories about back in the day, so it turned out to be a good session. came home and worked on the shots that i missed, and i wiped todays performance from my memory.

this valley is in bad shape, so im might try to find a table that is kept up better. :cool:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't tug on Superman's cape.

You don't spit into the wind.

You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger.

And you don't mess around with Jim.

Don't you know?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
i mostly practice alone at home and at my pool hall. which i don't mind. lately i have been thinking im the best shooter cents sliced bread. well today i wanted to practice on a valley table, so i went to my small bar to play for free on their valley. ran into jim, 75, been playing forever.

started playing 8 ball. if i missed one shot, or two shots, it was over. i was playing really well, breaking out my bad balls, moving the cue ball around. but i kept missing my key ball, and that was it. 0 for three.

switched to 9 ball, not any better. i missed the shots that i should have made, and jim ran out, over and over again. i could not have played any worse than i did.

knocked my fat ass down a peg or two. jim told some old stories about back in the day, so it turned out to be a good session. came home and worked on the shots that i missed, and i wiped todays performance from my memory.

this valley is in bad shape, so im might try to find a table that is kept up better. :cool:

Just curious if his name was Jim Williams. He was the same age as me (75) and used to supplement his income (I think he taught PE and other subjects) hustling pool, mostly around SoCal. A very good player that took a strong player to beat him. He came through my poolroom several times and we went round and round..

Haven't seen or heard from him in over 30 years. Jim was clean cut, dressed well and was solidly built. He was soft spoken and a good guy to gamble with. Never had a cross word between us. Anyway just wondering and remembering an old sparring partner.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if his name was Jim Williams. He was the same age as me (75) and used to supplement his income (I think he taught PE and other subjects) hustling pool, mostly around SoCal. A very good player that took a strong player to beat him. He came through my poolroom several times and we went round and round..

Haven't seen or heard from him in over 30 years. Jim was clean cut, dressed well and was solidly built. He was soft spoken and a good guy to gamble with. Never had a cross word between us. Anyway just wondering and remembering an old sparring partner.
You got to play with a 75 year old and listen to his stories. I would consider that a great day for me, especially if I made a new friend and enjoy more with him.
Even if I lost a few bucks don't matter! Enjoy

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got to play with a 75 year old and listen to his stories. I would consider that a great day for me, Enjoy

Reminds me of my first times at the table, I was 6. I was called Rack Boy because they said I was to young to play, I was good with that. My Grandfather was right but it was well worth it, he was hanging out with others in their 70's.

My Grandfather was born in 1900 and was in pool halls at a young age, the stories told to me were awesome. These people, when they were young, heard stories from people who fought in the Civil war, I was lucky to hear some of these things.

When he paid for the games, he would pull out his nice leather wallet. He went up to the great Pool Hall in the sky in 76 and I have used that wallet ever since, it's a little old and ragged but I am happy with it, it paid for my first pool experience and every time I buy supplies in person, out comes that wallet with pride.

Thanks, good day.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
old men and old tables

Old men and old tables will knock the cockiness out of many a young buck. I have told the story of Gentleman Joe a handful of times over the years. I consider him one of my mentors although he wouldn't have said the same thing. He knocked the stuffings out of me many a time on an old table. By all rights I should have beaten him from day one, or so I thought. It wasn't until I stepped up my mental game that I beat him decisively a few sessions and he promptly quit playing me. He wasn't on the table to lose.

The stakes were small so he only quit playing me a few hundred ahead. That was a cheap education!

Hu

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of my first times at the table, I was 6. I was called Rack Boy because they said I was to young to play, I was good with that. My Grandfather was right but it was well worth it, he was hanging out with others in their 70's.

My Grandfather was born in 1900 and was in pool halls at a young age, the stories told to me were awesome. These people, when they were young, heard stories from people who fought in the Civil war, I was lucky to hear some of these things.

When he paid for the games, he would pull out his nice leather wallet. He went up to the great Pool Hall in the sky in 76 and I have used that wallet ever since, it's a little old and ragged but I am happy with it, it paid for my first pool experience and every time I buy supplies in person, out comes that wallet with pride.

Thanks, good day.

That's a nice story and a great remembrance Dave.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s very possible it could have been Jim Williams. I will for sure ask him the next time I run into him. Very nice guy. Very good player. I want to gamble so badly, but I haven’t yet on a pool table. Good thing I didn’t Ask to gamble, I would have been cleaned out.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Small world isn't it? I know exactly who your speaking of and yes, he could play a little.

Also, yes, he was soft spoken but, it sounds like you never witnessed him loosing his cool.

Ouch, the man had a good stroke but, he had an uppercut that put most men down for a bit.

All in all, like you, I always enjoyed his company and his game.

BTW, the first time I played Jim was at a room in late 70's early 80', not long before I would hang my cue up for almost 3 decades.

Thanks for bringing him up.

Jay, Ive had learned that in AZB, if I visit often I will eventually have a memory or two brought back form the lost.

Jeff

EDIT:

we played at a room in San Diego. I'm trying to recall the name but, it's been a looonnngggg time ago.

I'm just glad I remember him now.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived in Denver from '99 - '06. Hopefully moving back soon. I will certainly find you and we'll hit a few, and drink some good beer too!

Johnny, you leaving Birmingham soon?

I've came down to bumper a few times over last couple years.

The last couple times, I ask the manager/bartender if they knew you. They told me they did.

I got a good report on you sir.

They siad you were a good fella and they always enjoyed your company but that you didn't come in much or stay very long when you did.

Lol......I told them "your time is coming". We can't stay out all night and get over it quickly anymore.

Jeff