Fanciest 4 Point Gus Szamboti?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I've always wondered, and wanted to start the conversation about, what was the fanciest 4 pointer Gus built. The fact that a "candidate" fell into my lap only makes the conversation more interesting. Here is what very well may be the fanciest 4 point cue (inlay wise) Gus Szamboti ever built... Is there any more fancy??

Attachments

• Fancy Gus.jpg
    Fancy Gus.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 957

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I've always wondered, and wanted to start the conversation about, what was the fanciest 4 pointer Gus built. The fact that a "candidate" fell into my lap only makes the conversation more interesting. Here is what very well may be the fanciest 4 point cue (inlay wise) Gus Szamboti ever built... Is there any more fancy??

Depends on what you call fancy.

I think MOP is harder to work with and typically means more as an inlay. Non-ebony cues are harder to inlay cleanly. The big barbell cue is pretty fancy, and I've considered it the fanciest just because of the level of irritation he must have had in turning it all down.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Depends on what you call fancy.

I think MOP is harder to work with and typically means more as an inlay. Non-ebony cues are harder to inlay cleanly. The big barbell cue is pretty fancy, and I've considered it the fanciest just because of the level of irritation he must have had in turning it all down.

MOP, harder to "work" with? Whether you think true or not, in the realm of inlay I know it's not in general and that is insignificant in this discussion and has no bearing on what I was asking which was about the fanciest 4 point cues Gus built. No barbell cues or box cues or 6 or 8 point cues... Gus built many fancy cues. Many have been in my hands, more than most and I've never seen a 4 pointer more fancy than the one I've posted. I'm hoping those who may have can share what they own or have seen... Can you share one facier? Please :) .. I'd love to see it.

If you'd like to talk irritation, amount of work, concern while building, a short splice front is much more difficult to get right than any MOP inlay or just about any inlay using any type of material. Gus did it as well as anyone and his work stands the test of time today.

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I’ve seen a lot of them, currently own a couple dozen.
Yours is going to be hard to beat!
Great cue. I bet it is a stunner in person.

Will Prout

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great example of a Gus.
Nice to see this one as I am a big fan of Propeller cues.

Myron

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I’ve seen a lot of them, currently own a couple dozen.
Yours is going to be hard to beat!
Great cue. I bet it is a stunner in person.

Will Prout

You've had and have a lot of great examples from all the greats. Trully a stunning collection. Would love to see them someday.

I know of one very similar to the one I posted except it didn't have the 8 ebony balls at the prong tips and had stack veneered boxes instead of engraved ivory boxes in the sleeve. Maybe they'll post pics of it in this thread :)

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That really isa beautiful cue.

There is something about his designs that continue to be fresh as
the years pass

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Barrys definition would be the best bet.

Possibly Barry might not know. He has his Dad's book for reference but not every cue built has complete "blueprints". My cue is a perfect example. I have a copy of the page where the order was taken. Very little design specs are mentioned. That could be because he knew the person well enough and decided to load a cue up for them. I'm sure mine wouldn't have been the only one built that way.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Really wouldn’t matter what someone posted, I’m sure you would argue the cue you posted is bigger.

If you have nothing positive to offer regarding my question you can just as easily move on Jamie.

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Pink Ivory and Ivory Gus, with the inlaid hearts, is up there. There is another Pink Ivory and Ivory Gus I remember Papa Pete describing. Maybe Denny knows of this cue.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That Pink Ivory and Ivory Gus, with the inlaid hearts, is up there. There is another Pink Ivory and Ivory Gus I remember Papa Pete describing. Maybe Denny knows of this cue.

Do you have pics of the pink ivory and ivory Gus? Would love to see it.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a couple with a similar design that have veneered boxes instead if the square barbells. Also a few with razor blade style boxes and gold heart and diamond inlays.

Attachments

• IMG_6221.jpg
    IMG_6221.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 423

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a couple with a similar design that have veneered boxes instead if the square barbells. Also a few with razor blade style boxes and gold heart and diamond inlays.

Beautiful cues! What do Gus cues that fancy typically cost when available?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

I've seen the veneered box cue and know who has it and forgot about the hearts cue and haven't seen it in a looooong time. I always thought Barry made that cue. I think you may have found a candidate there so far...

It'd be for sure if it was a 8 rotation sleeve instead of 4.

Last edited: