Socializing with your team or other teams?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after having done my second league night. I subbed for a different league kinda last minute thing. I am seeing that it seems people generally associated with there own team and not very much with the other team. Like when your done playing you go back to your own table. Is this common? It seems like people talk some but not as much as I assumed. Like I saw a person pull out there phone and start playing a game on it during league. Have you guys seen this same type of thing?

Thanks

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Last league I played in was in house with 4 teams so we were all pretty close since we were all together every league night. Most of us very friendly with each other and all hung out in a big group during league nights.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after having done my second league night. I subbed for a different league kinda last minute thing. I am seeing that it seems people generally associated with there own team and not very much with the other team. Like when your done playing you go back to your own table. Is this common? It seems like people talk some but not as much as I assumed. Like I saw a person pull out there phone and start playing a game on it during league. Have you guys seen this same type of thing?

Thanks

Why would you go over to the other teams side when you are done playing? Or do you mean for the night when everyone is done? Do you see baseball players go to the other side dugout when they are done being at bat or do they wait to shake hands after the game is over?

What people do depends on the people and if the players know each other. Maybe you should wait to ask all your questions when you played a bit longer in the league to see how things go.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I socialize with people from every team. That's the way it is in our pool room, we have between 100 and 150 people playing league in any given session, and most of us know each other. Many of us have played on different teams together at one time or another. At the least, we see each other a couple times a week, year after year, so we know each other. New players tend to get introduced around to other folks, most of the time. Because we've all become friendly, having played league together for a long time.

If you were to be in a league for more than a few weeks, you would start to become known to other people playing. As to whether they would socialize with you or not, is up to you and how you handle yourself, I suppose. I've found people in general to want to be friendly, of course there are exceptions to that, like anything else.

You can't expect it to be like that for you after a week or two. If you play regularly, people will begin to know who you are. If you are pleasant to them, and make at least small conversation, over time you will probably get to know some of them. You can't force friendship; you need to be a friend (or at least friendly) before you can make a friend.

And yes, some people will spend their time at league on their phone, or at the bar watching the ball game, outside smoking, or any number of things. I look at my phone some thru the night. Perfectly natural in 2020.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After we beat the other team into bloody submission, we move to the bar and drink brown liquor while laughing at the resultant carnage. :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is war. They can eat turds an have a choke in a throat.

I hope they slip and hit their collective chin on the table and bite their damn tongue and it hurts.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

I learned to play pool on the street you either got good or you died. LOL

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing ion the same league for over a decade, so most of us have known each other for a long time. So there's plenty of intra-team conversation, including smack-talk, inquiries about each other's families, etc. Of course, there are a few that don't want to be friendly, and some new teams seem to be a bit shy, but that's the outlier and not the norm in our league.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was raised to be a good sport here in Birmingham. And that's in all sports I participated in, baseball 12 years, football 6, basketball 4, boxing 4, and pool since I was 14.
Each and every sport, including boxing, there was friendship, fun, and most of all respect. But lots of fun, especially after the event. This is during the mid-60's - early '70's.
I wouldn't change it for all the money in a politicians pocket.
On the other hand, thgere were a bunch of sissy's who wouldn't or couldn't walk across 10 yards to shake and share a beer and stories. Those are the kind we described as miserable chits that never got along with anyone anyway, were losers in their social life as well as their home life. (you know the kind).
Just play the game and enjoy ALL the comraderie, you'll be much happier and content!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rroblem with small talk, it is hard to put down like a bag of Potatoes Chips, it stay with you, it b3ecause a distraction. If you serious about winning, do not do nothing but place yourself in a bubble about your mission.

Winning.