Kamui chalk version 1.21 is awesome!

berlowmj2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blind test

I haven't done that but i expect it would be fairly easy to tell the kamui apart from the BD. (color, texture, size of the cube)

We could make it a blind test in which the cue is chalked by someone else.

Or limit it to .98 vs 1.21

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Great googley moogley! So much fussin' over a piece of chalk. Yeah, the price is an eye-opener. For this kind of money it better have flakes of platinum in or or something.

If you make it, they will come. There is an old saying in advertising, sometimes the price isn't high enough. People naturally equate price with quality on most unknown things. To pay that kind of price, which is crazy when compared to the price of other chalk, one would expect it to do at least 120 times better than a .25 piece of master chalk.

Gimmick or not...Kamui has released a masterful item. Where else will you find a 7 page thread on chalk? How often has the "Kamui" brand name been brought up here? Even if the chalk wasn't anything special on the table, it seems to be an advertising boon for the company at it's least.

In the realm of billiards supplies, from cues, to gadgets and gizmos, the price of the Kamui chalk isn't all that staggering. It's one of the few "pro-priced" pieces of billiards gadgetry than even the most frugal of players can afford.

I congratulate Kamui on getting so much brand exposure off a cube of chalk. Who would have thought that inflating the standard price of a billiards necessity by over 100 times would generate so much brand association and discussion?

Maybe I'll come out with a 100.00 cue claw, or a 100.00 towel. :)

All this being said, clearly there isn't any one general consensus as to the value of the chalk. I have to admit, I'm curious.

I find myself wondering how many balls Mosconi might have run if he used this chalk...or if the game has been forever changed by the apparent innovation in chalk. Will we see higher run averages? Even if you just assume that the chalk IS that much better than all other chalk out there. ...Even if it was proven that the chalk was far and away a technological breakthrough in the world of billiards...how much would it affect the game? How much of a pool game is decided by chalk, versus simply chalking correctly with any brand? WIll pro players find that they need to use this chalk just to compete on level with their peers that are already using it?

So many questions out there.

Bottom line is it probably doesn't matter to the bangers of the world (that's the other 99.9999% of players). Love it or hate it, it sure seems like the the little cube of money has a following and is here to stay. I would love to see what the actual cost to Kamui is to produce this thing. Even at a 75% markup (chalk to Kamui...Kamui to distributors...distributors to you) it still makes the chalk 7.50 a cube...which is still pretty crazy even at a retail price point.

I'll be interested to see who is using this at the next big tournament I attend.

My .02