Can this be repaired????

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine has a problem with his old Bludworth shaft. The threads on the inside of the joint have kind of wasted away. There are about three threads left that actually screw on to the pin. When he shoots, there's a rattling sound. I think its the pin hitting the sides of the shaft. He really loves the shaft and doesn't want to get a new one. Can anything be done to repair it or is it not worth fixing??

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
repaired

Find a decent repair guy or cue maker in your area and it shouldn't be a big deal to do.

Onepocketking1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An insert can be put in the shaft and then be re-tapped.

Thanks. Didn't think of that. Will that affect the hit of the cue? Which kind of insert would be best? Can a piece of wood be used as an insert and then be re-tapped?

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3/8 x 11.5 tap is too big. If you measure a Bloodworth pin the ID and OD are a little smaller than the 3/8 x 11.5 tap so you will get a lose fitting shaft but it will still work. I have an old Bloodworth pin that I made into a tap to get a smug fit. I also bore the hole to .295 before I tap instead of .312.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
The 3/8 x 11.5 tap is too big. If you measure a Bloodworth pin the ID and OD are a little smaller than the 3/8 x 11.5 tap so you will get a lose fitting shaft but it will still work. I have an old Bloodworth pin that I made into a tap to get a smug fit. I also bore the hole to .295 before I tap instead of .312.

Brick,

I have a 3/8 x 11.5 tap and A guy just brought in a Blud shaft that was cross thread with an attempt to use a 3/8 10 cue with it. I just retaped it and it worked fine on the Blud cue pin.

I did not plug and rebore but will will keep in mind the .295 minor if I have to do one fron scratch in the future.

Thanks,

Rick

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If it makes a rattle sound, check to make sure the weight pin hasn't become loose. Three threads is all that's needed to tighten a joint. From an engineering standpoint, 1.5 threads usually carry the load.
Dave

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are correct that the 3/8X11.5 tap is a a little to large and slightly the wrong pitch but it's been used successfully probably 100's of times. By using a 1/2" round by 2" in length piece of phenolic as a plug instead of just maple or other type of wood you will get a much better fit between shaft and pin. The phenolic contracts a little after tapping.

Dick

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I have the correct tap straight from Blud. It isn't a tap in the traditional sense. It is a compression tap that does not cut any material away. It presses the wood into itself.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct that the 3/8X11.5 tap is a a little to large and slightly the wrong pitch but it's been used successfully probably 100's of times. By using a 1/2" round by 2" in length piece of phenolic as a plug instead of just maple or other type of wood you will get a much better fit between shaft and pin. The phenolic contracts a little after tapping.

Dick

I have had situations where the contraction that You mentioned made the fit too tight. Since I often tap the phenolic before going into the shaft anyhow, I have been able to put the plug in the freezer, then take It out and tap It, to get a fit that was just right when It reached room temp again.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have had situations where the contraction that You mentioned made the fit too tight. Since I often tap the phenolic before going into the shaft anyhow, I have been able to put the plug in the freezer, then take It out and tap It, to get a fit that was just right when It reached room temp again.

I use the 3/8x10 with .308 minor and when doing phenolic, I tap it then run a joint pin thru that I have cut 2 grooves lengthwise into it and it cuts just enough off the hole so I have a smooth fit when putting the cue together. I tap after the plug is installed.
Dave

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
I have the correct tap. I fix a bunch of these from incompetent repair guys forcing the wrong pin in to drive the shaft. The 3/8-11.5 tap you can buy is not even close to the right tap.