brand new Schon shaft won't fit a new Schon butt?!

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 Schons--one is a Ltd at ~$1250), the other is was an SP ~$1060...both are my most expensive cues by over $200 (next highest priced are my Mezz Axi-155 & Axi-156 w/ WX900 shafts). Right now they both have 30" aftermarket shafts: OB Pro+ and Jacoby Ultra Pro skinny. Likely purchased them less than three months apart I'd bet.

They play really great with the above shafts, so no real complaint from me overall. The woods and finish look great and you can tell they pay attention to detail...beautiful cues that I love to use. Long story short, I'm a cue-swapper in my collection as I've stated and shown in the past. But right now I have this weird connection with my Joss 44...it is the only cue in my 'top ten' that I play with its standard maple shaft (the other nince or so are marketed as LD regardless if solid vs. laminated shaft compositions).

Just had the thought and figured 'why not try the standard maple Schon shafts that came on them out and see if they feel similar to the Joss. Of the two, only one of my Schon shafts has been used/scuffed/chalked--so I pulled that one out to pop on my SP...but, no dice? The classic Schon 'button' is too large/fat to screw on this other Schon butt! Honestly, couldn't believe it (and yes, I messed/played around with the joint a bit)...donut too husky.

Isn't dat veeeerd? I lahhhhv goooooohhhhld.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 Schons--one is a Ltd at ~$1250), the other is was an SP ~$1060...both are my most expensive cues by over $200 (next highest priced are my Mezz Axi-155 & Axi-156 w/ WX900 shafts). Right now they both have 30" aftermarket shafts: OB Pro+ and Jacoby Ultra Pro skinny. Likely purchased them less than three months apart I'd bet.

They play really great with the above shafts, so no real complaint from me overall. The woods and finish look great and you can tell they pay attention to detail...beautiful cues that I love to use. Long story short, I'm a cue-swapper in my collection as I've stated and shown in the past. But right now I have this weird connection with my Joss 44...it is the only cue in my 'top ten' that I play with its standard maple shaft (the other nince or so are marketed as LD regardless if solid vs. laminated shaft compositions).

Just had the thought and figured 'why not try the standard maple Schon shafts that came on them out and see if they feel similar to the Joss. Of the two, only one of my Schon shafts has been used/scuffed/chalked--so I pulled that one out to pop on my SP...but, no dice? The classic Schon 'button' is too large/fat to screw on this other Schon butt! Honestly, couldn't believe it (and yes, I messed/played around with the joint a bit)...donut too husky.

Isn't dat veeeerd? I lahhhhv goooooohhhhld.

If you are talking about the insert, sometimes they are just tight. Screw it on a few times, and it will wear in.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The classic Schon 'button' is too large/fat to screw on this other Schon butt! Honestly, couldn't believe it (and yes, I messed/played around with the joint a bit)...donut too husky.

I had this same problem once. It was a 30" that came (solo) from Schon. Fit on one of my butts, but not the other. The shaft insert was a hair wide, just at its base, down where it meets the joint face. Just enough to prevent fully seating - left about 1mm gap.
All of the other Schon shafts I had came with butts, and none of them ever had this problem. So I guess they must match before shipping, and since that one came by itself...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check with a good cue guy. If its a tad too big turning it down to fit shouldn't be a problem. Probably talking thousandth's.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't he have the shaft "faced off" to get rid of the pilot, making it a flat-faced joint? IIRC, only a few makers have a true compression fitting.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Check with a good cue guy. If its a tad too big turning it down to fit shouldn't be a problem. Probably talking thousandth's.

^^^^^^
this

my friend just went thru this exact thing with a nice schon shaft he bought. took it to cuemaker who cleaned up the pilot and all better.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are talking about the insert, sometimes they are just tight. Screw it on a few times, and it will wear in.

No chance...as mentioned, I finagled and messed around with it multiple times.

I had this same problem once. It was a 30" that came (solo) from Schon. Fit on one of my butts, but not the other.

This guy gets it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Schon is a bit overrated in my opinion when it comes to fit and finish, judging just based on my experience--one had scratches all over the stainless joint collar, and don't even get me started on their bumpers. Yeah I know, I know...the bumper just plays a basic role so who cares, right?

Attention to detail in unexpected places is cool, but they don't even need a fancy logo-embossed bumper like Mezz, McDermott, Pechauer, Predator (even though they should based on price ranges), but at least have a clean shape as seen on my Players/Pure-X, Meucci, Lucasi, etc. Schon bumpers have that ugly manufacturing 'line' or 'ring' from the mold that has excess frayed rubber...it just looks a bit sloppy is all.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometime you need a tap
someone with a regular tap for the shaft

schon cuts theirs too tight anyway,

it is about a minute fix
not worth the postage to send back

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
On their old website they said that shafts are matched to each cue. Although not always practical, they recommended sending your cue in to fit in a new shaft. I don't see that on the current website.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Screenshot , sorry I couldn't resize this from my phone.

Screenshot_20190930-154106_Chrome.jpg

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, to summarize the thread: Don't get a Schon. Got it.

Honest question:

In this day and age, why get anything new that isn't uni-loc? Aren't you just setting yourself up for compatibility issues?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
find someone to tap the cue

or send it back to schon

everybody makes a mistake now and then

lets not show how effective we can try to ruin a good cue makers reputation over a next to nothing problem

i used to have a tap,not to make schon fit schon ,but so schons would fit Szamboti,Mottey,White

Schon shafts are fitted a little snug

a Mottey will fit a schon but not vice versa,very sligt difference

just call schon and work it out,it really is no big deal

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Schon LTD around 2001 with 2 shafts that fit fine. I purchased another shaft recently, but it will not screw down all of the way on the butt, I'm guesing that it lacks 1/4 inch of going all the way down. I called Schon; they said to apply a little dab of Vaseline inside the shaft or that it may have some lint or something in it. I tried both of their fixes, but I am left with the same results.

PracticeChampion

I bought a Schon LTD around 2001 with 2 shafts that fit fine. I purchased another shaft recently, but it will not screw down all of the way on the butt, I'm guesing that it lacks 1/4 inch of going all the way down. I called Schon; they said to apply a little dab of Vaseline inside the shaft or that it may have some lint or something in it. I tried both of their fixes, but I am left with the same results.
Probably like this one. This is a predator butt but still relatable. To fit in the butt it had to have about .012 shaved off. Took my guy about 2 mins to shave it down

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-144204.png
    Screenshot_20211005-144204.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You peaked my interest on this old thread as I just picked up my 3rd Schon the other day. I have 3 Schons, bought new in the last two years, a SP, a LTD, and an Elite. Also have three Jacoby shafts for them, 2 Ultra 30" 12.75's, and a 12.7 carbon. Here are the measurements on the outside of the brass inserts.
Jacoby black. .464
Jacoby Ultra's. .527
Schon #1. .530
Schon #2. .525
Schon #3. .522
All shafts fit on all cues, although the Schon .530 is snug on one of the cues.

Attachments

• 20211005_144253.jpg
    20211005_144253.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 43