ferruleless shafts

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
how do they play/feel compared to cues with ferrules ?
am i correct to assume the same shaft with no ferrule would deflect less than a shaft with 1/2 inch LBM ferrule?
thanks in advance for your replies

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The deflection difference is very slight, and the likelihood of failure is higher with no ferrule. The bigger the bore hole is, the more a ferrule is necessary, so the extra ferrule weight is offset.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how do they play/feel compared to cues with ferrules ?
am i correct to assume the same shaft with no ferrule would deflect less than a shaft with 1/2 inch LBM ferrule?
thanks in advance for your replies

My current player I've built for myself is with a ferrule less LD-shaft. I love the way it feels and performs but it is combination of materials used and the construction. It is my first experience playing pool with a shaft in such construction. It was an experiment I was curious to try and I'm happy I did.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154&page=2
The deflection is low enough ...pretty much the same as 314-2 but with a better feel...very solid instead of that hollow feeling.
It is difficult to be objective describing how it feels comparing to a shaft with a ferrule because for doing that I would need to add a ferrule to it).
My experience tells the construction and the material used for the ferrule or if no ferrule provide a certain hit. I don't use classic 1" ferrules building my cues but I'm still a beginner when it comes to building cues.
I like to experiment that is how I'm learning. I've also loved the hit of a shaft I've built for my student. It has extremely short "ferrule" and "vault plate" out of moose horn (so hard). The hit is pretty crisp which I liked ...it stands out.
When it comes to durability...well so many pros in piramid prefer and play with ferrule less cues because of the feel they give and that is the game with the heaviest balls and power used in that game is much highier comparing to pool. Of course with time quite a few such shafts may need some repair work.
It depends on the level, style of playing and the quality of the stroke. Of course you may pay a higher price for an awful stroke playing no ferrule. Everything has its price. My shaft is still perfect after 3 years of hard play and I've had some bad miscues on long draw power shots.
I would not build a ferrule less shaft for a beginner who does not have a pure stroke and just learning how to chalk the tip correctly.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Made a few of them over the years but am not a good enough player to feel much difference.
If you break with your playing cue it might be a good idea to have some sort of a ferrule to protect the tip end of the shaft from damage.
If you never break with it then damage is not an issue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Ferrule-less shafts only have noticeable lower squirt if the stock ferrule is so much heavier than maple .
To make them really true LD, they need to be drilled at the front end and then a carbon fiber pad or really thin and short lightweight ferrule is used to protect it from breaking .

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ferrule-less shafts only have noticeable lower squirt if the stock ferrule is so much heavier than maple .
To make them really true LD, they need to be drilled at the front end and then a carbon fiber pad or really thin and short lightweight ferrule is used to protect it from breaking .

Hey Joey, weight a carbon fiber pad and a fiber pad. Ant noticeable difference?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Hey Joey, weight a carbon fiber pad and a fiber pad. Ant noticeable difference?

I've never weighed them.
Fiber pad muffs the hit imo, so I've never used them .
Good for capped ivory ferrules that hit really hard and brittle, but for most ferrules, I don't like them.

pkh1960

Registered
deflection

no such thing as deflection in a pool cue shaft. Low deflection is an even larger misnomer. Royce and I tried to remedy years ago but the marketing department from certain companies brainwashed you with the idea that a two in apa will be great. Now you are as gullible as bad golfers thinking a new driver will maker better each year when you spend more. Plastics will be the trend for a while as people who cant play be reaching for the driver that isn't there. Maybe someday pool players will realise its not the arrow its the indian.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
no such thing as deflection in a pool cue shaft. Low deflection is an even larger misnomer. Royce and I tried to remedy years ago but the marketing department from certain companies brainwashed you with the idea that a two in apa will be great. Now you are as gullible as bad golfers thinking a new driver will maker better each year when you spend more. Plastics will be the trend for a while as people who cant play be reaching for the driver that isn't there. Maybe someday pool players will realise its not the arrow its the indian.

Royce who?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I’m guessing Bunnell, not Gracie. :smilewinkgrin:

Well, Royce designed a low end-mass shaft.
RIP. I miss him badly.
He was an active member of a very nice cue tinkerers group.
He was very talented and knowledgeable . I learned a lot from him.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Considering terminology is backwards, a shaft deflects and a cue ball squirts. It should make a stiff/ivory ferrules shaft ‘low deflection’ and a whippy/light front end shaft be ‘high deflection’. But unlike golf, pool players aren’t chasing a high CoR shaft for playing like they do for drivers. So there’s a whole can of worms there to deal with. Deflection exists, just not as current standards imply.