Corner cut shots

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hello Louis,
trying to improve my game and one of the things that I really need to improve is cutting balls on corner pockets. Medium to long distance is my weeknesses. I was wondering if you have any type of drill to improve that exercise.

Louis Ulrich

bestkites said:
Hello Louis,
trying to improve my game and one of the things that I really need to improve is cutting balls on corner pockets. Medium to long distance is my weeknesses. I was wondering if you have any type of drill to improve that exercise.

CueTable Help

You can try this for starters. First of all, you will be practicing each shot individually so when you are shooting the 1 ball, the 2 and 3 won't be on the table. They are just there to show the progression of the drill.

Practice cutting each ball in from the cue ball positions. If the shots are just too difficult at that distance then move the cue ball closer and then back the cue ball up as the shot becomes easier. If this is too easy, then pull the cue ball back and make it harder. Start with the 1 ball. After you get good at that one then shoot the cut from the 2 ball position and then the 3 shot (which is very difficult but it's good for training your eye for the cut).

This is how I would go about learning these shots. Start with a nice easy stroke and just above center on the cue ball to allow the ball to roll naturally. With the easy stroke you should be able to see where you are hitting the object ball and, if you are missing, you can make your adjustments from there. As you get the shots down, increase your speed gradually until you are comfortable shooting at all speeds.

Now, I have the shots in the center line of the table. If these are too difficult to start with, move the balls over one diamond and start from there.

If you work your way up in difficulty in any shot that you're learning it will make the process move along faster than by starting with the hard shots.

After you get good with just making the ball in this fashion, you should start applying different spins to the cue ball so you can learn to get to other positions on the table.

Louis Ulrich

bestkites said:
Awesome. Thanks Louis!
Quick question... Are you playing with the Tiger X shaft?
I played with the X shaft for awhile but I prefer a smaller diameter than their 12.75 mm (their narrowest shaft) so I went back to a conventional shaft. If you like a shaft at 12.75 mm or 13 mm then I would definitely recommend one. They're very consistent shafts.

I use their Sniper tips. They maintain shape very well and last quite awhile.

Louis Ulrich

bestkites said:
Are you playing a shaft similar to a Z2 with a Sniper tip then?
No actually my shaft is just a standard shaft with a southwest taper. I have not adapted yet to the low deflection shafts.