Is it tough to gain respect from other Pro Players?

sharpshooter

Registered
Hey Louis,

Care to reflect on when you first starting going to professional tournaments and how you felt intermingling with the top pro's. How did they treat you and was it hard to gain the respect and friendship of other professionals when you first started out and noone knew who you were. Did you feel somewhat alienated and receive a lot of intimidating attitudes or were you warmly welcomed (if so, which pro's were especially kind to you).

And how is it now at tournaments. Do you feel a sense of comraderie and friendship which I would imagine takes some of the pressure off or do you avoid too close of relations with other pro players. Take care :)

Louis Ulrich

sharpshooter said:
Hey Louis,

Care to reflect on when you first starting going to professional tournaments and how you felt intermingling with the top pro's. How did they treat you and was it hard to gain the respect and friendship of other professionals when you first started out and noone knew who you were. Did you feel somewhat alienated and receive a lot of intimidating attitudes or were you warmly welcomed (if so, which pro's were especially kind to you).

And how is it now at tournaments. Do you feel a sense of comraderie and friendship which I would imagine takes some of the pressure off or do you avoid too close of relations with other pro players. Take care :)

Hey sharpshooter,

One instance that I can remember is having one of the top pros tell me to leave the practice area in the tournament room. He said "This section is for the pros son". Can't say that I appreciated that too much.

I'll never forget about how I was treated by Ralph Soquet when I first met him. It was at a Camel tournament during the first year of that tour and I drew Ralph. He beat me like a drum. Race to 13, I got to 5. He was a perfect gentleman to play and he played hard against me as if I was a threat to beat him. Later at that event I ran into him and he came up to me and talked to me like we were on an even playing field. I hadn't experienced too much of that. I remember most top players back then had somewhat of an ego problem. He really didn't seem to. I didn't run into him for years after that. The next time I saw him he came up, shook my hand, remembered my name, and started talking. I was, and still am to this day amazed by that. And by the way, to this day I have never even won a set against that guy :)

Now, during tournaments, I get along with most players for the most part. Of the associates that I have in the pool room, some I consider friends, most I can't. It's just the way it is. We're all after the same thing and we're all in each others way.

If you're concerned about this for yourself when entering the pro arena, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd play for yourself and not worry about impressing anyone. It doesn't matter how good you get anyway. There will be those who like you, and those who don't. Here's a good example. I actually heard people say that SVB was washed up after losing to Alex. I really want to know what those people use for a brain :D

I'm sure I could carry on with more instances for awhile but I'll leave it with that. Thanks for the post and take care.

sharpshooter

Registered
Thank you for the honest and thoughtful reply Louis. Great story about Ralph!! I've always gotten the impression that Ralph was nothing but a gentleman both on and off the table. Doesn't seem to have an egotistical bone in his body and a true class act, much like yourself. Just wondering, have you ever had the pleasure or "displeasure" of facing off against Strickland and how did that go. Did he try any sharking tactics or bullying moves against you when you played? Just for fun, care to disclose some the best sharking tactics people have used against you in the pro arena!!

Last edited:

Louis Ulrich

sharpshooter said:
Thank you for the honest and thoughtful reply Louis. Great story about Ralph!! I've always gotten the impression that Ralph was nothing but a gentleman both on and off the table. Doesn't seem to have an egotistical bone in his body and a true class act, much like yourself. Just wondering, have you ever had the pleasure or "displeasure" of facing off against Strickland and how did that go. Did he try any sharking tactics or bullying moves against you when you played? Just for fun, care to disclose some the best sharking tactics people have used against you in the pro arena!!

I've actually never played against Earl. It's funny, I'm an Earl fan. I like watching him play. When he mouths off I get a kick out of it. When he blows up I practically keel over laughing. I disagree with much of what he does but it's still worth the price of admission when pulls an Earl.

I'd have to hate playing him I'm sure. My buttons can be pushed like anyone else. I'm sure the time will come when we will play and we'll see then.

As far as other shark moves by other players. The nice thing about the pro events is that it's pretty much regulated and players don't get out of line too much with each other. You see it more in the smaller tournaments or gambling. You name it, I've probably seen it.

Later :grin:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Sharpshooter,

Louis is not telling the truth, but I'll tell you the REST of the story...

Back on the Camel Tour, every time Louis missed a shot, lost a game, or lost a match - they made him rack the balls for Bustamante...

Once the balls were racked, Louis had to lean over the rack, with tips of his fingers touching each other, and rest his middle fingers against the 1 ball...

Then Bustamante would break the balls as hard as he could...

BANG!!!

Afterwards...

Louis would jump around shaking his broken fingers as he danced around in excruciating pain while everybody else laughed at him.

:p

This taught Louis to :

a) Stop missing easy shots.
b) Stop losing games and matches
c) Stop listening to those silly Filipino players when they ask you to block the glare on the 1 ball from those silly overhead lights.

Now you know the REST of the story.

:p