8 ball break driving me nuts!!

spoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of good advice already on here. I have to disagree with a couple of points people have made though....

You're right to worry about spreading the balls for your opponent. And, I firmly believe that hitting the same break over and over and hoping for different results is foolish. When you're playing a strong player who will run out a dry break, I don't see any reason not to try something a little different. If you're already losing games on your break, what's the worst that could happen? Of course, if your opponent isn't getting out from your dry breaks, and instead ends up clearing things out of your way, then maybe you've found a recipe for success...

Unfortunately, no matter how many of the variables you try to control, you're still going to need some luck to consistently make a ball in 8-ball.

Here are the four things I toy around with when I'm struggling to make a ball on the break:

1. Switch spots on the table. Rather than shooting the mirror shot on the other side of the table, I find I have more success by moving a few inches at a time on the same side of the table. It's probably in my head, but it works for me.

2. Change the break speed (slow it down). I'm consistently amazed by how softly you can break the pack and still drop a ball or two. Plus, the balls are likely to spread a little differently, and if nothing drops, maybe your opponent will have a harder time running out.

3. 2nd ball break. This is the old standby. You've completely changed the impact point with the rack, and you should get completely different results. By playing with the speed (usually taking some off), you can retain a good deal of control over how clustered the balls get.

4. Break from the same spot as with the 2nd ball break, but try to clip the head ball on the way in. It's really important with this break to keep the speed down, and try to minimize the jumping of the cue ball. I usually hit this break with my regular playing cue, because I have better control. A last resort, because it's playing with all different types of fire, but with the high risk comes the high reward. I probably make more balls and get a better spread this way than with any other 8-ball break. I also jump the cue ball off the table or scratch more often this way than any other way. :(

Don't let yourself get discouraged. Just look at it as a challenge and a puzzle to solve.

Reactions: Siz

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no worries about getting discouraged..Ive been playing this game on almost a daily basis for 23 years. It's little things like this that keep the fires burning and keep you coming back.

Today I was breaking from the center with about the same results. Although when I switched to 9 ball with that break I was dropping a ball 4 out 5 racks. most of the time dropping more then ball.

The one thing I noticed when I blow it up wide open I don't drop anything..when I leave clusters is when I'll drop a couple balls. lol

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no worries about getting discouraged..Ive been playing this game on almost a daily basis for 23 years. It's little things like this that keep the fires burning and keep you coming back.

Today I was breaking from the center with about the same results. Although when I switched to 9 ball with that break I was dropping a ball 4 out 5 racks. most of the time dropping more then ball.

The one thing I noticed when I blow it up wide open I don't drop anything..when I leave clusters is when I'll drop a couple balls. lol
So now work on breaking up clusters or if you can't get out play safe early in the rack and not late. If you can't get out in 8 ball then don't even try.

BVal

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ha ha.... I'm pretty sure I know what you meant by that, but out of context it's pretty funny!:wink:
Just to explain what I did mean - I meant if you can't run out the rack for sure then don't try. :)

BVal

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the center spot break was working great playing 9 ball today lol I was droping the wing ball I would say 7 out of 10 breaks and dropping a ball 9 out of 10. I had 3 breaks in a row where I dropped 4 then 5 then 4 balls again on the break. With and easy shot on the first ball. Christ If I could consistantly do that all the time your gonna see me on ESPN soon lol

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
weird for a center break to work in 9 ball but congrats :)

I had tried a few inches off of center in the believe it subtly skews the break to one side and gets a higher chance of making a ball. But after doing it for probably the last 3+ years and then switching to absolute dead center, I can say for sure I get a ball on the break more often with dead center, plus awesome spreads. I really notice balls fighting to go into the side, and often when I make more than one ball it's gonna be in the sides.

I do know what 420trooper is saying tho, when I dry break and squat the cue ball it drives me nuts. But it's a little different on a barbox. I think barboxes already have a lot of spread issues, between the dirty equipment and slow cloth, so I definitely whale on it from dead center to eke out every last bit of energy I can. But I've had breaks where the CB bashes them dramatically, hops straight up and bounces, squats in the middle, and absolutely nothing went in. So maybe for a barbox you really should do that break a couple of inches off to the side.

Really, the only absolute truth is every table is different and you gotta find the breaking tricks that work on your particular table.