9-Ball Video Contest (23): Can You Run This Rack?

What's on your mind when you see a layout like this? (Please explain)

• I have a run out plan already and will go for it

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I will make plans while attempting a run out here; play a safety when in trouble...

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I will make balls first and get in a perfect position to play a safety

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I will play a safety or push out shot now

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
CueTable 9-Ball Video Contest 2009.06

Can You Run Out This Rack of 9-Ball?

CueTable Help

You have just made 3 balls off the break. Now you are facing this layout...

Take this great opportunity to challenge yourself against a situation which the pros would face and run out in tournaments. Study the layout carefully and get the camera ready now.

Good luck to everyone and many good rolls!

Contest Rules
  • Videotape yourself win this game in 5 minutes.
  • Upload your video to YouTube, FaceBook or MySpace
  • Enter "CueTable Billiard Contest 2009.06" in the video title and tags, and "http://contest.cuetable.com" in the video description.
  • Sign in to the current official contest page and post your video URL address ther, along with a brief analysis of your run out.
  • The contest ends on 07.01.2009 - At the time you will see a video of a pro player playing this layout on TV.
Prizes
  • The first FIVE participants who upload run-out videos here will win a CueTable Polo Shirt.
  • The prizes are for people who have not won before. In any case, formal winners are encouraged to submit videos and enjoy together!

Tips
  • Print out the layout (CueTable printing help)
  • Set you camera on a tripod from a high angle so the video can cover the table.
  • Please discuss your plans and any foreseeable difficult challenges.
  • Even if you don't have a completed run, please post your videos in our Ask Instructor forum. There are 23 professional instructors who'd love to share their insights with you.
  • If you have comments or suggestions for any videos you see here, please feel free to share.
  • If you have already seen the video for the layout before, please don't spoil it so others can enjoy it later.
  • If you can't see the large size CueTable layout above, please download Adobe Shockwave Player
  • To learn how to create your own diagrams, please check CueTable Demo Video

Past Contests

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I always enjoy the contest, got my shirt in the mail not long ago and love it, thanks a lot. This was looks toughs but I have a plan, will show the video later on. :wink:

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Tough

This is a tough run, no doubt about it. The only way I see off hand to run this would be to play the 2 in the top right corner (where the 4 is) and use high right english, bringing the cue ball down for the 3, 9, 7 combo.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
This is a very hard run out. If I were just playing around with friends I may try and run this out but in a money game or tournament play the smart choice is to shoot the 2 ball in the corner, come back up table leaving the cue in front of the side pocket for the 3 ball and play safe. It would be a higher percentage shot to duck the cue ball behind the 8 and play the 3 ball off the end rail into the 7.

If done correctly it breaks up the 7 and the 9 and would at the least make you opponent shoot a two rail kick shot. Even if he makes the hit there is a good chance he'll scratch in the corner.

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Niels post #5 is the same way I see it... now would I try it in a match or would I play safe... that is a different story.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post your videos guys, I am going to try and do mine tonight. ;)

i love seeing people post their videos of the "can you run this rack" racks! i don't have a digital camera or i'd do it.

did you say you've only been playing for 2 years (thought i read that)? i've seen one of your videos man you're hittin 'em good for only 2 years

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh yeah i don't think i could get out this rack. if i was playing it i'd shoot to make the 2 and play safe on the 3. trying to leave the CB behind or on the 7/9. to tell you the truth i'm not exactly the favorite to make the 2. the 4 (or what ever the ball happens to be) usually gets in my head and i miss.

if i had to try to run out i'd try to power draw into the rail then into the 7 and shoot the 3 in the side

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
i love seeing people post their videos of the "can you run this rack" racks! i don't have a digital camera or i'd do it.

did you say you've only been playing for 2 years (thought i read that)? i've seen one of your videos man you're hittin 'em good for only 2 years

I have been playing for 5 years, in poolhalls seriously for about 4 years, my level is at a B, looking to be an A player in the next couple of years. Thanks for the compliments. :)

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
in 4 hours im home. in 5 hours the video will be ready :D

This is a tough one. not many balls left on the table and 2 problems. My guess would be to solve the 2 clusters with one shot. the 2 is already a hard shot as it is. Using the 2 to do this would make it a to low percentage shot. I would be tempted to use the 3 ball to solve both problems. (using the 3 to make the 3-8 combo, and move the cb into the other cluster to open it...).

So, stop-slight draw shot, to leave cb close to rail, one diamond to the right of the B pocket. 3-8 combo (wich i never feel comfortable at, with some extra outside english to move the path of the 8 to the corner pocket, and get the cb to go small rail first and kick the 9 up (not the 7, as this might leave me snookered behind the 9..)

mmm thanks wei for making it hard !! i guess it aint that easy to find hard runouts, where the player didnt play safe.

I see one big shot (on the 3) that can resolve all the problems. IF you can nail it, the frame is yours (if you manage to get the 3 in a pottable position after the 3-8 carom), if you dont its frame over.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing for 5 years, in poolhalls seriously for about 4 years, my level is at a B, looking to be an A player in the next couple of years. Thanks for the compliments. :)

Wow where did i get two years from? i thought it was that video of you playing your dad and his friend. maybe that wasn't you. either way you were hittin' 'em pretty good in the video!
keep up the video's!

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Dear friends,
Just a quick reminder there are only 4 days left for the contest this month. If you have a digital camera you should definitely give this a try!
Have a great day! Hoo-Hoo :)

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Winner Announcement 07.02.2009

Video Origin
This contest layout was drawn from the 7th game in 2002 World Pool-Billiard Team Cup, Yang Chin-Shun Vs Hsia Hui-Kai (go to 5:20 of the 4th video). It's a race to 7 match. Prior to this game Yang had already done 6 break-n-runs from the lag and this could be his chance to shut out his opponent. Although there are occasions it might be better for him to play safeties. The idea of a complete shut out is too tempting and he had displayed some talents in this game he lost. He ended up losing the match as well :eek:

You can check the game video and the contestants' videos here

trophyicon.gif
Contest Winners
badabing

Videos by Past Winners
banker , afittsch, billardberlin

Congratulations to our winners for completing this tough layout. If you like the contest, please study the videos, try the layout yourself to compare, show it to friends, share comments and let us know how we can make it even more fun for every one. Our goal is to help people improve their skills and play better.

Thanks to everyone for participating, please prepare for our July contest early next week :)

poolfoole

Banned
That's a hell of a run out if someone actually got out from there. The first big problem is making the 2 and falling on the 3. Neil's 2 shot look nearly impossible to execute, although the 2nd shot where he breaks up the 7-9 is very clever if it's available. I think I would play position for the 3 like this:
You could then cinch the 3 in the side. Cut the 4 and use a big draw stroke to break open the 7-9, and hopefully leave yourself a shot on the 7.

2 to 3 Position.JPG

Last edited: