how are ya'll doing in league ?

Banks

Banned
I think I had mentioned that I let a friend replace me on the 8b side on Tuesdays. Sunday, I didn't play. Last night and last week, got low/mid 40's in BCA. Somebody had to go and break n run on me last night, making me feel like I jinxed myself for even thinking about a 50pt set.

Taking next Thursday off to go to a Blazers preseason game. Gotta get out and do something different once in a while. Been spending so much time staying out, playing league and trying to coordinate more tables that it's nice to not do pool stuff sometimes!

BeachBum2012

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just starting the new APA season. I think it may be my last before switching to the BCA. I played well, lost by 4 balls to a guy that I'm fairly evenly matched with. I got him last time. He came two 9 balls from having 3 break and runs on me. I couldn't find my break until the end. Came back from about 30 balls down to only miss it by 5. Should have played safe on the last rack instead of going for broke.

The team lost. We won one match of the 5. Not too bad of a loss though. We won big the first week, so this should put us middle of the pack going into week 3.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i finally witnessed a lil drama last sun night that a lot of apa ..or league haters for that matter always seemed to encounter in their areas.

i thought my g/f ...who is our captain was gonna get into a catfight with the opposing teams co captain...also a girl. i had to intervene and play peace maker.:D

got that settled and we played all the way to the last match before sparks flew again. due to the 23 rule the only player they had available for 9 ball was in the middle of her 8 ball match. the opposing team said we needed to wait for her to finish that match in order to play 9 ball.

my g/f who was still seething a lil from the drama at the bebining of the night remarked that she oughta make them forfeit the last 9 ball match instead of waiting. well the opposing co captain went off about that remark and started spouting off the rules state they have 15 minutes to provide a player.

my g/f ...who is the division rep by the way informed the co captain that she was wrong ...that they only had 2 minutes to provide a player. she said the 15 minute rule the girl was spouting off was in reference to how much time you had to provide a player at the start of the nights matches.

well the other girl said my g/f was full of shit and proceeded to grab their rule book and thumb through it. after reading for a lil bit she laid it back down and did not say any thing....apparently she saw she was wrong and decided to keep her mouth shut.

during this time she was reading the rule book i told my g/f to be the better person here and just wait for their player to get through with her match. she says ok and told the other team we will wait.

while we were waiting my g/f got up and screwed her cues together.

when it was time to start the last matches my g/f tells me to play 9 ball and she will play the last 8 ball match. when i walked up to the table and said i was playing 9 ball shit hit the fan with the other team again.

they were pissed because they thought my g/f was gonna play 9 ball and our last 3 was gonna play 8 ball. they were pissed because they thought they had a chance to win both 8 and 9 that night according to what they thought we were gonna throw.

they assumed my g/f was gonna play 9 ball because she put her cues together while we were waiting for their player to play 9 ball.

after i was up 10-0 in 1 inning the 1st rack their co captain really started talking smack about what a dirty move we pulled. i won 18-2 even though i had to fade some shit talking by their co captain and the girl i was playing .

during this time their captain who i am pretty friendly with was just sitting there shaking his head at them. later he apologized to me and i said no problem. i said it musta been that time of the month for his co captain and the girl i played. :D

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
other post was long enough so i figured i will post my other nights in this post.:D

tue night apa we had a bye. i had not played on my in house money league team in 3 weeks and was not planning on going this night either. well at 7:30 they call me and said they need me. i say ok i will be there in 330 minutes.

the 3rd match the other team throws their player and my captain throws me. when i see who i play i thought oh shit.... i see why they called me. no one wants to play this guy because he is the slowest player on the planet.......aint exagerating either.

i have played this guy before in napa league several times and lost on purpose just to get the match over with.

5-3 race with me going to 3. i win 3-2 . they finished matches 4 and 5 an hour before i finished the 3rd match. aint exagerating . the next day i am telling a friend that plays on both my tue and fri teams about it.

wed night i go to napa league and running a lil late. when i enter the pool hall lo and behold what do i see. ? my friend who i had told about my match was playing the same guy.

they were playing the 1st match. their 4 th match was over an hour before my friends match was finished where he won 5-3 in a 5-5 race. later he told me ...that was the most excrutiating match i have ever been in. he said slow dont even describe that guy lol.

oh yea i played 9 ball in a 4-2 race ...me going to 4. i lost 2-2 . just could not stay focused .

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
other post was long enough so i figured i will post my other nights in this post.:D

tue night apa we had a bye. i had not played on my in house money league team in 3 weeks and was not planning on going this night either. well at 7:30 they call me and said they need me. i say ok i will be there in 330 minutes.

the 3rd match the other team throws their player and my captain throws me. when i see who i play i thought oh shit.... i see why they called me. no one wants to play this guy because he is the slowest player on the planet.......aint exagerating either.

i have played this guy before in napa league several times and lost on purpose just to get the match over with.

5-3 race with me going to 3. i win 3-2 . they finished matches 4 and 5 an hour before i finished the 3rd match. aint exagerating . the next day i am telling a friend that plays on both my tue and fri teams about it.

wed night i go to napa league and running a lil late. when i enter the pool hall lo and behold what do i see. ? my friend who i had told about my match was playing the same guy.

they were playing the 1st match. their 4 th match was over an hour before my friends match was finished where he won 5-3 in a 5-5 race. later he told me ...that was the most excrutiating match i have ever been in. he said slow dont even describe that guy lol.

oh yea i played 9 ball in a 4-2 race ...me going to 4. i lost 2-2 . just could not stay focused .

Someone's gotta talk to that guy.

lukemindish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today is my teams National qualifier tournament for TAP. This is what we have been playing for all year long. I sure would love a free trip to Dallas! The format is round robin groups of 4. With the winner of each group moving on to single elimination tomorrow. My team has a 6, two 5's, three 4's and one 3. Numbers wise we are solid. Here's to hoping some of the rolls go our way today!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this post about league last night is gonna be completely different from 1743.

last night was probably the most enjoyable night playing pool ever for me.

we played scotch doubles double jeapordy. my team consists of me , my g/f , a good friend and his g/f who could not make it last night. our opponents consisted of a guy and girl who i have known for years and a husband and wife who i had never seen before.

too many details to list but i will just say every one was laughing and joking all night long. every one threw out a compliment on a godd shot and laughed about a bad shot whether it was from a team mate or opponent.

i was so impressed with the husband and wife on the other team i asked them to join my sunday night team. i told them they both are not bad for their handicaps and seemed like good down to earth people.

they thanked me for the compliments and asked the obvious questions about my sunday team. they were concerned about playing on a noght where they both had to work the next day. we exchanged phone numbers and they said they would let me know.

oh yea.... i went rackless in 8 ball winning 4-0 against another 5. won 9 ball 13-7 against another 5. we won 8 ball 10-1 and won 9 ball but i forget the score.

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
I’ve seen this thread for a while now and finally checked it out. I really enjoyed reading the posts so I thought I’d try to contribute.
Last week was my first match in Joe Tucker’s American Rotation league. I lost 140 to 102 but I really enjoyed the intricacies of the game. Being from a largely eight ball beer drinking league background it was a bit of a stretch for me to play in a rotation game with a beer is in very small doses if present at all environment. It’s a very challenging game both physically and mentally. My match went two and a half hours with a seemingly endless supply of decisions to make. Planning three balls ahead is absolutely imperative and knowing when to play safe or have your opponent shoot again after they didn’t call safe on a missed shot is just as important. The alternating break and different point values for potted balls means you’re never out of the game and never have a safe lead. All of these things have me very excited about my match tomorrow night. It’s almost an education both at the table and from the chair. I learned a lot about myself and the game of pool in general in only one match and hopefully I can employ and execute what I’ve learned so far and pick up some more tricks and tips tomorrow. And of course...hopefully get to 1 and 1 on the season in the process.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I had mentioned that I let a friend replace me on the 8b side on Tuesdays. Sunday, I didn't play. Last night and last week, got low/mid 40's in BCA. Somebody had to go and break n run on me last night, making me feel like I jinxed myself for even thinking about a 50pt set.

Taking next Thursday off to go to a Blazers preseason game. Gotta get out and do something different once in a while. Been spending so much time staying out, playing league and trying to coordinate more tables that it's nice to not do pool stuff sometimes!

I had a great week at league, found a place to park without having to park 3 blocks away in a residential neighborhood in front of someones house! :thumbup:
Chuck

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Funny thing about this thread. Whenever I say something like, "I don't win the lag very often" or "I don't play ball-in-hand combinations", I have a string of weeks that completely contradicts those statements.

So lagger's choice last night. I win the lag. :rolleyes: I chose 9-ball because I only needed 3 in a 7-3 race. (My 9-ball rank is almost 15 points below my 8-ball rank :eek:) In the first game, my opponent scratch leaving me a fairly easy BIH combination on the 9. :rolleyes:

I ended up winning 3-2 and since the table was available my opponent (a friend of mine) asked me to play a cheap race to 5, giving me the 7-ball. I couldn't get anything going there and lost 5-0. Then we played for sodas. I won a set and he won a set.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fellas my game goes from one extreme to the other from week to week.

sunday night double jeapordy. played this girl that is a 3 in both 8 and 9 ball.

won 9 ball 1st 16-4. lost 8 ball 3-2 .

tue night apa. lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race.

last night napa . i won the lag and since it was a 4-6 race across the board with me going to 4 i chose 8 ball. oh yea...my opponent was the same slow player i mentioned i played last week in my money league. actually i told my captain to throw me against him since i did not have to go to work early today.

i was slow and methodical like him ...it threw his game off.:D

i jumped out 2-0. lost the 3rd rack and he made a break and run the 4th rack. i just started playing a shit load of safes winning the next 2 racks winning the match 4-2.

since it was the 1st match started and the last one finished every one was watching my match. i got a lot of compliments on how well i played and some people said some shots i pulled off were amazing.

upon learning i was a 5 in apa one guy said i must be a bad ass 5. i told him if he had watched my match the previous night he would swear i was a 3.

some nights i can do no wrong and other nights i cant do nothing right.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fookin APA 9 ball.
I'm a 7 in 8 ball and a 6 in 9 ball.
For some damned reason I win at around an 85% clip in 8 ball but 9 ball...I can't get out of my own way. Very frustrating to say the least. Here I was thinking I was stealing as a 6 and I am getting steamrolled by 4's.
I think it's mental but man it sucks badly.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
fellas my game goes from one extreme to the other from week to week.

sunday night double jeapordy. played this girl that is a 3 in both 8 and 9 ball.

won 9 ball 1st 16-4. lost 8 ball 3-2 .

tue night apa. lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race.

last night napa . i won the lag and since it was a 4-6 race across the board with me going to 4 i chose 8 ball. oh yea...my opponent was the same slow player i mentioned i played last week in my money league. actually i told my captain to throw me against him since i did not have to go to work early today.

i was slow and methodical like him ...it threw his game off.:D

i jumped out 2-0. lost the 3rd rack and he made a break and run the 4th rack. i just started playing a shit load of safes winning the next 2 racks winning the match 4-2.

since it was the 1st match started and the last one finished every one was watching my match. i got a lot of compliments on how well i played and some people said some shots i pulled off were amazing.

upon learning i was a 5 in apa one guy said i must be a bad ass 5. i told him if he had watched my match the previous night he would swear i was a 3.

some nights i can do no wrong and other nights i cant do nothing right.

Kudos on the wins and the patience. I know it's nitty but if I had to play Timmy the Turtle, I would bring a stopwatch and start calling fouls.

pic_1349259653_9.jpg

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Kinda had the ooomph sucked out of me pool-wise, the last few weeks. No one thing, just a kind of malaise, I guess. Started two weeks ago when we started our new APA session, and I gave away my match with poor decisions and poor play. Our entire team had a bad night, there was some Eagles-club drama (unrelated to our matches, but related to how pool was handled in the club) and a couple of friends started getting into it with each other. Just a downer, over all...

So onward and upward. Fortunately, our 8-ball team had a bye last week, good time to reset.

I've played fairly well since then. Last Thursday my captain put me up first in our 9-ball match, and the other team threw their SL6. This guy used to play a lot and had taken a break for a few years, came back as a SL7, lost his match the first week and got lowered to SL6. So I say to myself, "yay me, pulling this guy." In my mind, he had been good enough to be SL7 not terribly long ago, and now he's SL6 against me. Hmmmmmm. Still, as I'm still an SL5, he has to beat me by 8 points, so let's see how this goes....

So we get started. I play pretty well for me, not over my head but I was shooting pretty well. The kicker was that when I did miss, I ended up accidentally leaving him crappy, almost every time. It got so bad that we were both laughing, and I actually apologized a little, telling him that I wish I could intentionally leave him that bad. I ended up beating him 15-5, a good start for the team, and we went on to crush their team 70-30.

8-ball this past Tuesday, I throw myself first, I get the guy that beat me in our 9-ball championship match a few weeks ago. He and I always have good matches, and I got the better of him this time, 4-1. Not lights-out, but again, I played pretty well. Plenty of room for improvement, but it was encouraging. The team had an over-all better night, too, 8-6. Moving in the right direction, and plenty of time in the session to get back near the top where we belong! :p 9-ball again tonight!

Banks

Banned
Fookin APA 9 ball.
I'm a 7 in 8 ball and a 6 in 9 ball.
For some damned reason I win at around an 85% clip in 8 ball but 9 ball...I can't get out of my own way. Very frustrating to say the least. Here I was thinking I was stealing as a 6 and I am getting steamrolled by 4's.
I think it's mental but man it sucks badly.

If it makes you feel any better, that never changes for some of us! I've been a 9 for 4 years now or whatever its been, but I still struggle to get anything better than a 13-7 or 12-8, all while risking a big loss if my opponent gets hot. Just can't seem to do as well in 9b - scratching on the break and missing shots I'd normally make in 8b.

Sounds like everybody's doing alright lately, with the exception of Lo. He's got so much going on that he can do well and not well all within the same couple of days! :eek:

I played a buddy that's a 6/7 on Sunday and got him in both. Going out tonight, so no BCA and next week is off for our regional event. This Sunday, I'll be playing another 7/9. I always feel bad for the scorekeepers in 9b. :eek:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I'm embarrassed about the serious slump I'm in this session in APA.

Monday night 8-ball, I lose my first three straight matches, before finally notching a win against a sl4. This week, I got moved up to a sl4, only to lose to a sl3 in three games.

Tuesday night 9-ball we had a bye is week. I'm currently 2-4 this session.

It sucks because last session I almost made top gun before shenanigans with getting moved up and missing the opportunity, only to get moved back down again. This session I'm not even in the running so far, and unlikely to get there being so far behind.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it makes you feel any better, that never changes for some of us! I've been a 9 for 4 years now or whatever its been, but I still struggle to get anything better than a 13-7 or 12-8, all while risking a big loss if my opponent gets hot. Just can't seem to do as well in 9b - scratching on the break and missing shots I'd normally make in 8b.

^^^ THIS ^^^

This is me exactly. I don't get it. I guess it is what it is but it's very frustrating to know I should be out and gag the hell out of it.
Then I get up in 8 ball and run them out when I am supposed to.
Oh well...guess my hopes of hitting the 9 ball circuit won't be happening any time soon :D

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Weight

^^^ THIS ^^^

This is me exactly. I don't get it. I guess it is what it is but it's very frustrating to know I should be out and gag the hell out of it.
Then I get up in 8 ball and run them out when I am supposed to.
Oh well...guess my hopes of hitting the 9 ball circuit won't be happening any time soon :D

I feel your pain. I have only been a 9 for about 2 years but I cant tell you how many nights I look up and I have broken every rack and I am still fighting for a 14-6 or 13-7. I did have an 18-2 last session but it included 3 bnr and 2 snaps. My worst fear is a perfectly spread break and the cue gets kicked in against a 5 or 6. They will run to about the 7 or 8 and get out of line. I finish the rack but lose all those points.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like everybody's doing alright lately, with the exception of Lo. He's got so much going on that he can do well and not well all within the same couple of days! :eek:

I played a buddy that's a 6/7 on Sunday and got him in both. Going out tonight, so no BCA and next week is off for our regional event. This Sunday, I'll be playing another 7/9. I always feel bad for the scorekeepers in 9b. :eek:

your remark about me is funny ...but true. :D

the thing is...even though i am inconsistent as hell i am still hovering around the 50 % lifetime mark in both leagues...except for napa 8 ball which is my highest win percentage.

got tired of banging balls on my home table so i looked up my lifetime stats.

apa 8 ball 410 matches with a 49 % win record.

apa 9 ball 251 matches with a 52% win record.

forgot to write down the number of matches for each discipline in napa league .

total number of matches 92 with a 57 % win record.

8 ball 61% win record

9 ball 46% win record

10 ball 50 % win record.

even taking into consideration i have played a heck of a lot more apa matches than napa i still find it odd that i have a higher win % for 8 ball in a call your shot league than i do in a slop league. after mulling it over a lil bit i think its because i fail to stay focused when i play a good safe and some one slops a ball in and is perfect on their next shot. i have been getting better at dealing with that but it still irritates me some times.