Belagorn

Registered
Ok i bought a lathe I think it is a porper not sure yet on that. I am still unpacking everything planning on doing tips and ferrules to start. So i thought i would ask all of you professionals what you think and where to get info . I was a machinist for 25 years but i have never worked with cues. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks All

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok i bought a lathe I think it is a porper not sure yet on that. I am still unpacking everything planning on doing tips and ferrules to start. So i thought i would ask all of you professionals what you think and where to get info . I was a machinist for 25 years but i have never worked with cues. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks All

I made a LOT of Tip and Ferrule Key Chains with scrap maple.

Belagorn

Registered
I am looking at those but not sure i want to get that far into it yet anyway. I got a good deal on this Porper lathe from a debt that was owed. So I thought this would be a better starting point. And besides that I have my house for sale and I do not want to move a big engine lathe.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am guessing that is expenses and thanks for the warning and the advice you all are awesome good tips

Oddly enough you have sort of the opposite challenge from most people who
want to give cuework a try. Most of what you do on cues involves turning/shaping
wood/plastic/leather. Turning wood can be lots of fun. Time spent sharpening your
skills in wood turning will pay large dividends.

Dale

Belagorn

Registered
Yes I suppose that is true. I have turned just about every kind of metal daily.But I know turning wood can be tricky and perhaps later on i will get a bigger metal lathe but i think starting with shafts is a good place to begin. So I was hoping for some advice on refinishing shafts what materials to use as far as glue and any equipment i may need.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
expensives

3 hightower lathes, 1 hightower inlay machine, 1 bassel repair lathe, 1 drying station set-up, scroll saw, table saw, band saw, drill press, sanding machine, router table, planner, bench grinder [ large ] bench grinder [ small ], drill sets, hand tools, tips, wraps, adhesives, finishing epoxys, pins, threaded rod, etc, etc, etc.

then a shop to put all this stuff, with heat and air to try to keep the temp right for the wood.

oh yeah, speaking of wood $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i'm gonna have to rethink that 75k figure, i bet its a lot more than that.