how are ya'll doing in league ?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be glad you feel that you play better with that shaft/tip combo. Switching from a maple shaft to a low deflection thin diameter shaft is not something I would suggest to a SL4/5.[/QUOTE

Yeah , I was told that it wouldn't work out so well , but I beat a 5 in 8 and a 6 in 9 Wednesday night and took out another 6 in 9 last night ( didn't get to play 8 ) . I have more control and I am able to put more spin on the ball . I am loving it .

I also switched to an LD shaft about 1.5 years ago. My experience didn't go over so well lol. It was difficult to learn at first, but after a few days, I was glad I switched. It's easy to go from LD to maple, but is usually difficult to go from maple to LD. I guess it's all how you look at it. It took my 3 days (about 5 hours each) to get used to it. It may have taken you less time and it may take others more time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
payed double jeapordy last night. wound up playing 2 4's . won 8 ball 4-0 and won 9 ball 38 - 17. scores looked like i played great but truthfully neither opponent played that great.

mentioned on here about my tue night team changing the team name. i looked on the website to see where we played this week.

now i kinda suspected both the captain and co captain were a lil flaky...turns out i was mistaken. THEY ARE BOTH BAT SHIT CRAZY !!.

when i saw i new team name my 1st thought was ...WTF ?

my 2 nd thought was i aint playin on a team called ...snow white and the dorks.

i txt my captain this mornin and told her the above 2 thoughts. aint heard back from her yet.

i mentioned on here before about a team that goes to vegas every year that has asked me several times to join . told him no due to feelin obligated to my teams. just so happens his team plays tue night. looks like i might be joining his team next session cause i aint playin on a team with this kinda name.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
payed double jeapordy last night. wound up playing 2 4's . won 8 ball 4-0 and won 9 ball 38 - 17. scores looked like i played great but truthfully neither opponent played that great.

mentioned on here about my tue night team changing the team name. i looked on the website to see where we played this week.

now i kinda suspected both the captain and co captain were a lil flaky...turns out i was mistaken. THEY ARE BOTH BAT SHIT CRAZY !!.

when i saw i new team name my 1st thought was ...WTF ?

my 2 nd thought was i aint playin on a team called ...snow white and the dorks.

i txt my captain this mornin and told her the above 2 thoughts. aint heard back from her yet.

i mentioned on here before about a team that goes to vegas every year that has asked me several times to join . told him no due to feelin obligated to my teams. just so happens his team plays tue night. looks like i might be joining his team next session cause i aint playin on a team with this kinda name.

That's worse than "We need a new name." How about calling it "8 shiny balls and 1 nice rack" (assuming you have 4 men on your team). Or "My team captains have no imagination"

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's worse than "We need a new name." How about calling it "8 shiny balls and 1 nice rack" (assuming you have 4 men on your team). Or "My team captains have no imagination"

you have an imagination. :thumbup::

my captain did txt back later and said she would change that name. she then txt me an hour later and asked if the name ...styx and stones. i said that was ok with me.

she then txt back and said she would check with the rest of the team. i thought ...damn...that is what you shoulda done before changing it to snow white and the dorks. what a fv'cd up name.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have an imagination. :thumbup::

my captain did txt back later and said she would change that name. she then txt me an hour later and asked if the name ...styx and stones. i said that was ok with me.

she then txt back and said she would check with the rest of the team. i thought ...damn...that is what you shoulda done before changing it to snow white and the dorks. what a fv'cd up name.

i need to make a correction here. it was not the captain i had txt..it was the co captain. i was thinking about the captain while i was typing lol. i dont have the captains number.

it was the co captain who asked about the name styx and stones. well the co captain txt me today reminding me where we were playing tonite. he also mentioned that he got with the lo to change our name.

what i found out tonight was , last week after every one left the captain went up to the lo and said she wanted the name changed to snow white and the dorks.

when i got to league tonight our table was full so i sat at the bar right behind our table with one of my team mates who was sitting by himself. the captain kept giving me funny looks like she was upset but she never said anything.

im still sitting there when the 4th match comes up. the other team throws their 6 out. he gets up and calls me out. my captain immediately throws our 7.

their 6 tells my captain he would like to play me and tells her i am the only one who has beat him in the last 2 ltc's while playing on my sun night team. this team here has never made it to tri cups much less ltc's. . he said we have never matched up during regular session. she replied that she was playing our 7.

their 6 beats our 7... 5-2. we have an average 4 left and me... a pretty good 5 if i say so my self. she decides to throw our 4 who loses 5-0. its the 1st time in 3 years playing on this time that i was sat out . this is her 1st session being captain and only her 3rd session playing on this team.

guess she was upset that i did not like the name she chose and that she was runnin the show even though the co captain had the name that she chose changed.

looks like she better get used to the team losing 4 matches a night like we did tonight. there aint no one worth a shit on this team but me and the 7 and i decided to quit because of her actions.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i came back and re read my post this morning it sounds like i am whining lol.

maybe i am getting more grumpy...or less tolerant in my old age. i go out to have a good time and i dont need the attitude she displayed last night.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Wow, lorider....craziness.

My league night was far less eventful. Playing another SL5, I start quickly and grab the first two games, fairly easily.

Next two games, I have an out right in front of me, and fail to execute. Not difficult, tho not gimmies....aggravating to say the least. (I know what kind of shot I'll be practicing most in the immediate future.)

He takes the 5th game, had a real nice run out. He's on the hill.

Next game, he's shooting on the 8. It hits the point on the long-rail side, and shoots the 8 across to the opposite corner pocket. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Hill-hill now...

Last game, I'm on the 8. Three different ways to shoot it, I choose a cross corner bank, only to minimize my chances of scratching (the 8 was close enough to the side pocket that it was a remote possibility) and to leave the cue ball in a tougher spot for him if I were to miss.

I hit it, I know its not right, then it caroms off one of his balls, right into the called pocket.

Stupid dumb way to win, slopping an 8-ball into the right pocket.

Good thing me and my oppononent are buddies. I apologized. We laughed. This game is silly some times....

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Played my Tuesday Valley league last night. I've been hitting them really good lately and last night was no exception. I went 5 and 0 with a break and run. We're closing in on the end of the session (1 week left), and I think I've finally learned how to play bar box 8 ball a little bit. Earlier this session being overly aggressive cost me a lot of points and games. Also, I think I've finally found a break that works really good on the bar box for 8 ball. Just hope I can keep going for the state tournament at the end of March.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earlier this session being overly aggressive cost me a lot of points and games. Also, I think I've finally found a break that works really good on the bar box for 8 ball.

I actually had that conversation yesterday with a teammate.

I demonstrated that breaking soft or breaking hard doesn't matter in barbox 8ball. He didn't believe me and told me I should smash them. I used my Predator Speed App (to ballpark speed) and hit three break shots: 15mph, 19mph, and 24mph. Not a single ball dropped on any of the three breaks.

Then I took the cue ball, shifted it one diamond over, and hit it with a medium stroke. To simulate a controlled break. I made four balls and had shape on anything I wanted.

I ended up playing in our Wednesday night 9-ball match, last night. Played another SL6 and won 46-21, IIRC. I didn't pay much attention to the score. Same deal as last week too. I won by shooting my last ball with BIH :thumbup:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night 8 ball league. Race to seven. Won 7-1. Been playing an A+ player on Saturdays and Sundays. Nobody really knows how good this guy really is but he is a great guy to play with. I watch him like an eagle. We play two sets of 9 ball. He races to 11 and I go to 7. I'll say I'm a B player.Usually costs me money for the lesson. He has taught me that if you don't think you can make the shot play safe. If you can make the shot but really have no way of getting shape play safe. Used this strategy in my Monday 8 ball match. Ball in hand is your friend!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA laggers choice last night. I needed 4 in a 5-4 8-ball race. Won 4-2.

Not much to say about it. They had the heat on so I played better than last week.

One odd occurrence. The Wed. night waitress is pretty terrible: You have to find her to place an order; she doesn't come around and ask if you want anything else; she sits down and talks to her friends whenever possible, etc. So this week, I ordered my food and she asks if I mind paying right away. Come to find out, people have been walking out on their checks! Probably because she never comes around to give it to them! Either she's best friends with the owner or the owner has trouble finding help because there's no way she'd have kept her job at better restaurants.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I actually had that conversation yesterday with a teammate.

I demonstrated that breaking soft or breaking hard doesn't matter in barbox 8ball. He didn't believe me and told me I should smash them. I used my Predator Speed App (to ballpark speed) and hit three break shots: 15mph, 19mph, and 24mph. Not a single ball dropped on any of the three breaks.

Then I took the cue ball, shifted it one diamond over, and hit it with a medium stroke. To simulate a controlled break. I made four balls and had shape on anything I wanted.

I ended up playing in our Wednesday night 9-ball match, last night. Played another SL6 and won 46-21, IIRC. I didn't pay much attention to the score. Same deal as last week too. I won by shooting my last ball with BIH :thumbup:

If you found a break that works for you that's great. My technique is smashing them though. When I'm playing on the big table I usually break 8 and 10 ball from somewhere near the middle of the head string with my hand on the table. But I could never get this break to work on the bar table. It always felt like my cue ball was starting too close to the rack. Also, I know a lot of guys like to do the 2nd ball break, but I find it somewhat hard to execute without a lot of reward and a larger potential for scratching. Also, 8 balls on the break are not wins in our league so there's no advantage to it there. What I decided to do is move the cue ball back about 8 to 10 inches from the head rail and a little off center. I break with my hand on the rail, a loose grip, and really focusing where I want to hit on the head ball. I also pay attention to give myself a really good rack (front 3 balls frozen to each other and the 8 ball). I've been getting a great spread, the cue ball hops back and stops, and making at least 1 ball. Really the only danger is if you don't pay close enough attention to where you are hitting the head ball. An off center hit can make the cue ball go toward the side pocket.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you found a break that works for you that's great. My technique is smashing them though. When I'm playing on the big table I usually break 8 and 10 ball from somewhere near the middle of the head string with my hand on the table. But I could never get this break to work on the bar table. It always felt like my cue ball was starting too close to the rack. Also, I know a lot of guys like to do the 2nd ball break, but I find it somewhat hard to execute without a lot of reward and a larger potential for scratching. Also, 8 balls on the break are not wins in our league so there's no advantage to it there. What I decided to do is move the cue ball back about 8 to 10 inches from the head rail and a little off center. I break with my hand on the rail, a loose grip, and really focusing where I want to hit on the head ball. I also pay attention to give myself a really good rack (front 3 balls frozen to each other and the 8 ball). I've been getting a great spread, the cue ball hops back and stops, and making at least 1 ball. Really the only danger is if you don't pay close enough attention to where you are hitting the head ball. An off center hit can make the cue ball go toward the side pocket.

That was more of my point, finding the break that works. It will vary from table to table. I was trying to get it across that walking up to the table as if all were the same, and smashing it as hard as you can, won't yield great results.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 3-1 so far this session, we have Tricups this weekend for 8 ball. Really like our chances as we have solid players at every skill level and should be able to matchup with just about any lineup.

Last night I played 8, I'm a 6 and played a 5 that was 2-0 on the season. Won 5-2 and shot pretty well, although I got a little unlucky to not win 5-1 or 5-0. I did play a lock up safety after missing position that won me the game and some compliments from both our 7 and their 7. I'm 10-4 since moving to a 6, and have continually been improving since starting to play 5 sessions ago. I havent beaten any 7s since moving to a 6, but only played 2 of them. 50/50 against 6s and havent lost to a 5 or below. Would love to make it to a 7 before my buddy who has been playing most of his life. Hopefully I can move up to a 6 in 9, but can't seem to get on as good a roll in 9.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night we played our regular 5 games plus 5 more against the same team for a make up snow day.
I shot a 97 out of a possble 100.
Great night right?
Well I have to admitt the other team was very weak.
Sort of like beating a 5 year old at checkers.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week:
Sat out Monday Night 8-ball.

Tuesday night 9-ball I suffered my first loss of the session. At first I thought I might have an easy match. This kid was just shooting really sloppy, not really taking his time when sated and banging them around. Third rack in, I leave him with an easy shot, and he starts a run that I couldn't get if I paid for it. Gave up 9 points in that rack. Lost 20-25.

Wed night in house league I missed due to work.

This week:
Mon night 8-ball I beat a fellow sl4 3-2. I started out really slow, could hardly make a shot, and definitely not two in a row. After two straight losses, I turned it on a little, while my opponent faded. He started making a lot of mistakes and scratching a lot. Won three games in a row. Team won 10-5
Tues was really disappointing for my 9-ball team. We lost 4 matches and gained a forfeit in the 5th. My team just could not adapt to the bar table we were playing on, while facing guys who were tough in the skill levels. One of my teammate also wasn't happy with how our captain matched people up. I sat out.
We'd night, I slept in and missed.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night 8 ball league. Race to seven. Won 7-1. Been playing an A+ player on Saturdays and Sundays. Nobody really knows how good this guy really is but he is a great guy to play with. I watch him like an eagle. We play two sets of 9 ball. He races to 11 and I go to 7. I'll say I'm a B player.Usually costs me money for the lesson. He has taught me that if you don't think you can make the shot play safe. If you can make the shot but really have no way of getting shape play safe. Used this strategy in my Monday 8 ball match. Ball in hand is your friend!

good shooting :thumbup:

it took me a while but a former team mate kept drilling it in my head....if you can't run out play safe. once i accepted that advice my win % improved .

just to clarify ....during regular session i try to run out as much as possible. during play offs or higher my only intent is to win how ever possible.

due to work the next day during regular session i may play 1 or 2 safes trying to win but i aint planning on a long match. when it comes to playoffs or higher i have played as high as 27 safes in 1 match. one match went a total of 41 innings against a 7. yea i won that match. my opponent came up and shook my hand and said that was the 1st match he had ever lost in the ltc's.

yep bih can be your friend.:wink:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we started our 9 ball tri cups last night . what a crazy night !

my 9 as ineligible...he only had 3 matches last session due to never showing up.

my 4 was not there due to he was ib the high school wrestling state finals.

my 5 was not there due to he works for fed ex and it takes an act of congress to get a day off with out the threat of being fired.

we had a 7, 3 , 2 -2's and my self ..a 5.

1st match they through a 5. i 1st contemplated throwing my self but thought i should save my self for their better 5 since i knew this team pretty well.

i thought what the hell ...counter with a 2. now i want you to know i never give time out during regular session unless they ask for it. one of my forms of handicap management. :grin-square: i used every time out available every rack but used them wisely and even told my 2 a couple of times when he asked for a time out to save it. he wound up winning 15-5.

i thought i would use that win to jump on them and i threw out my 1. they countered with one of their 7's who won the lag and started out with 2 break and runs and it never got much better for my 7 the rest of the match. they won 17-3.

3rd match they threw out a damn good 3. her husband is a 7/9 who has taught her well. my co captain who is my 7 and i discuss who to throw. i tell him our remaining 2 and 3 are no match for her. we decide we have no choice but to throw me and try to regain the lead. i win the lag and break dry. she runs 5 ball ...misses and i run the table. 2nd rack i scratch. again she runs 5 ball and i run the rest. next rack i scratch again ...she runs a few ball...i run a few ball...she runs out. next rack she breaks and makes 3 ball including the 9. when it was all over she won 15-5. its a bummer when your break is hurting you and you have a 3 running 5 balls a rack. man that was ugly.

now i am in a real hole. i have a 2 and a 3 left. they have a 3, 2-4's , a 5 and a 7 who they can not use due to the 12 rule. i am thinking they will probably counter with a 4 and save their 5 for the last match if needed so i decide to throw my best 2 who is actually better than my 3. well my 2 decides to have the worst night ever including missing with bih at least 4 times. their 3 was not missing any thing a 3 should make and wins 15-5.

we have a bye today so i am gonna use a few hours today to work on my break here at home. my other 5 will be there today but not my 4 since he is out of town at a wrestling match.

hopefeuly we can do better today . i plan on going with my 7, me and my other 5. the 2 who won last night and my 3 who did not play last night due to it only going 4 matches.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
damn !! another crazy night.for us at tri cups !

1st match. we throw a 3 and they counter with a 3. we lost 13-7.

they throw a 6. what do i do ? dump my 2 who beat a 5 last night :grin-square: after using every time out available my 2 wins 13-7.

tied at 20-20.

i throw my 7. they counter with their 7. after losing bad to a 7 last night by 17-3 my 7 came out on fire and won 18-2.

they throw a 2. i counter with my 5. he gets all bent out of shape by her making a few balls and leaving him hooked. getting bih ..making a few and leaving him hooked. he lost 18-2.

we are tied at 40-40.

i throw my self. they counter with another 2 ? see match 4. :( i tried 2 rail kicks...3 rail kicks....jumping. nothing worked when she left me hooked and kept getting bih. i lost 12-8. :angry:your game goes completely out the window when you get frustrated as hell lol.

i asked the opposing captain ..whats with al the 2's the last 2 matches. he grins and said..it worked for you . ::embarrassed2: i had my own strategy i used throwed back at me.

well got league tonight where i am 3-0. beating 2-4's by scores of 14-6 and 17-3. beating another 5 by 15-5.

hope i never face another 2 as long as i live. :embarrassed2:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weekend tricup tourney for 8 ball in the Austin area. We lose our first match after starting out with a 3-0. Frustrating.

Have a bye, then win our next two pretty handily. Last match is against a team who is playing at their home pool hall and can match any lineup we throw up. They throw a 2, we throw our 3. They win 2-0.
I throw my best 5, they throw a good six, they win 2-0. I throw my brother who moved from a 3 to a 4 after his last match. He plays a good 4. He clutches up and wins 3-0 with two awesome 8 ball supercuts.

I throw our 7 hoping they match with their 7 and don't hold their 7 for our 4. They don't. Our 7 has two BnRs and almost 8 on the breaks to win, but ends up winning 2-0. Last match for all the marbles. 4 vs 4. Two women who know how to play def and just take what shots they can get. We get down 2-0 and our 4 wins 2 nail biters with some awesome def and then has a 5 ball then made the 8 out. I think I finally exhaled this morning. Long but fun weekend.