how are ya'll doing in league ?

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We lost our playoff match last night. Mostly because our team made too many costly errors trying to run out when the percentages were low. Getting them to think defensively has proven difficult. But that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the team beat us without having enough players and had to take a forfeit each set. That irks me a little. Out of 3 possible games that can be played by a single player, our best player only got to play in one game due to how the lineup was set. However, this wouldn't have mattered anyway because other than the one game they played, the only other wins all night were from the forfeits. 2 more wins wouldn't have made a difference, unfortunately.

I've been contemplating moving on from bar leagues but I have decided that even with the issues I have with it, I still enjoy it and it's just too convenient compared to my other options. I'll give it another go next season.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of you ever had anything like this happen: You're in an APA (or a points based) match. So you're playing a player that you should clearly beat. Things are going well you're running balls, your break seems to be working and finally you're approaching your final 10 (or so) points, you break maybe make one or two but you're totally in jail, you can't see your object ball and can't see any clear path to the ball. You swing and miss, BIH for your opponent and he runs out and then he just keeps making balls. He might miss a ball or two in the next game but he poops something in and when he misses he leaves you hooked and you never get another clear shot and wind up losing. That happened to me the other night, I'm humming along and then the bottom dropped out, and not just a little, went down faster than a drunken prom queen. Afterwards all I could do was smile and say, "Nice comeback".
Geeze, I hate that

I've done that to others a few times in the last 2 sessions. :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of you ever had anything like this happen: You're in an APA (or a points based) match. So you're playing a player that you should clearly beat. Things are going well you're running balls, your break seems to be working and finally you're approaching your final 10 (or so) points, you break maybe make one or two but you're totally in jail, you can't see your object ball and can't see any clear path to the ball. You swing and miss, BIH for your opponent and he runs out and then he just keeps making balls. He might miss a ball or two in the next game but he poops something in and when he misses he leaves you hooked and you never get another clear shot and wind up losing. That happened to me the other night, I'm humming along and then the bottom dropped out, and not just a little, went down faster than a drunken prom queen. Afterwards all I could do was smile and say, "Nice comeback".
Geeze, I hate that

guess you have not been reading my posts. :grin-square:

it happens more often than i would like to admit.

i am gonna admit it really got me out of my game last sunday night.

i faced this guy in 8 ball and won 4-0. i played him 9 ball later on and he won 38-18. it got pretty frustrating watching him fire at every thing at warp speed and more often than not he would make some thing and have a pretty decent leave for his next ball. on the occasion he did not make anything i was left kicking 3 rails or jumping with a full cue.

it got really frustrating when i would make a legal kick but nothing fell and more often than not i left him decent.

what really got under my skin was making a jump over 2 balls pocketing the 1 which i was intending but the cue ball caroms off the 7 and follows the 1 in the same pocket.

my opponent said ...wow...great jump...too bad you scratched. one of them games when i was glad it was over.

he is a 5 like me but has uncanny luck when resorting to slop in 9 ball firing warp speed when he does not have an easy shot. he does not play 8 ball the same way cause he is afraid of making an early 8 shooting like that.

simply amazing i can win 8 ball 4-0 but he just goes wild in 9 ball and slops some thing in almost every shot when he does not have an easy shot.

i hate playing any player who does that but i really hate when a few 5's and 6's in my area resort to that.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I killed my chances of playing anymore this session.

I got a chance to play last night, against a well known local SL7. He was very cocky, had his headphones on, and talked as though he was going to steamroll me. He didn't get a shot until midway through the fourth rack, to which he only gained his first 4 points.

I ended up winning 18-2 (46-11). I had a good shot at winning 20-0.
I was up 36-0 until he lucked in a ball. Which, I won't lie, I had my fair share of luck, too.

What ticked me off and made me laugh, was I never said a word until after the match. He wouldn't shut his mouth, even with wearing headphones. He called me derogatory names, complained how lucky I was, and even tried sharking me three times which didn't work.

Then he asked if I wanted to gamble after the match. When I told him no, he got even more angry. I don't mind gambling, but I'm not partaking in anything with someone wacked out and angry about an APA match. My friend asked why I wouldn't go gamble and I told him, "Seeing this guy so upset, is worth more than any dollar amount."

So far this session, I've lost a match to a SL5, won three matches against SL6's (four, you count HLT), and won this match against a SL7. My lowest score, other than my loss, was 17-3 (the rest 18-2's).

Do y'all think I'm going to be a SL7 now?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I got a chance to play last night, against a well known local SL7. He was very cocky, had his headphones on, and talked as though he was going to steamroll me. He didn't get a shot until midway through the fourth rack, to which he only gained his first 4 points.

I was up 36-0 until he lucked in a ball. Which, I won't lie, I had my fair share of luck, too.

What ticked me off and made me laugh, was I never said a word until after the match. He wouldn't shut his mouth, even with wearing headphones. He called me derogatory names, complained how lucky I was, and even tried sharking me three times which didn't work.

Then he asked if I wanted to gamble after the match. When I told him no, he got even more angry. I don't mind gambling, but I'm not partaking in anything with someone wacked out and angry about an APA match. My friend asked why I wouldn't go gamble and I told him, "Seeing this guy so upset, is worth more than any dollar amount."

So far this session, I've lost a match to a SL5, won three matches against SL6's (four, you count HLT), and won this match against a SL7. My lowest score, other than my loss, was 17-3 (the rest 18-2's).

:grin-square:
Yep

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

Those are 5 pretty good matches. Other than that how have the other 15 of your last 20 gone? I suspect that if you're not a 7 next week it'll be a short wait before it happens.
I think the way to handle guys like that that want to gamble, I guess to reclaim their manhood or something like that, is to agree to gamble and ask for some ridiculous spot that they will have to turn down. One time I got the guy to actually agree to the spot and then I added one more condition, that afterwards we gamble on a contest of my choosing, so I challenged him to a spelling bee. That shut the whole thing down on the spot. Good thing he didn't know I can't spell

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are 5 pretty good matches. Other than that how have the other 15 of your last 20 gone? I suspect that if you're not a 7 next week it'll be a short wait before it happens.
I think the way to handle guys like that that want to gamble, I guess to reclaim their manhood or something like that, is to agree to gamble and ask for some ridiculous spot that they will have to turn down. One time I got the guy to actually agree to the spot and then I added one more condition, that afterwards we gamble on a contest of my choosing, so I challenged him to a spelling bee. That shut the whole thing down on the spot. Good thing he didn't know I can't spell

That's hilarious!!! I should have told him that, but knowing the guy, he'd want to fight if I made a fool of him. I don't have time for such trivial stuff. I went home to my fiancée, took a shower, and had a good nights sleep lol :thumbup:

Not including HLT:
(SL5) Spring 2014 - 11 Wins / 5 Losses
(SL5) Summer 2014 - 4 Wins / 2 Losses
(SL5) Fall 2014 - 5 Wins / 1 Loss
(SL6) Spring 2015 - 4 Wins / 1 Loss

IIRC, for this session, my matches were:

vs. SL6 - Won 18-2 (I was an SL5 this match and became an SL6 the next week)
vs. SL6 - Won 17-3
vs. SL5 - Lost 8-12 (I played really bad)
vs. SL6 - Won 12-8 (City Cup HLT)
vs. SL6 - Won 17-3 (He conceded when I was up 26ish points)
vs. SL7 - Won 18-2

My team captain said if I'm not a SL7, he'd be very surprised.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
guess you have not been reading my posts. :grin-square:

it happens more often than i would like to admit.

i am gonna admit it really got me out of my game last sunday night.

i faced this guy in 8 ball and won 4-0. i played him 9 ball later on and he won 38-18. it got pretty frustrating watching him fire at every thing at warp speed and more often than not he would make some thing and have a pretty decent leave for his next ball. on the occasion he did not make anything i was left kicking 3 rails or jumping with a full cue.

it got really frustrating when i would make a legal kick but nothing fell and more often than not i left him decent.

what really got under my skin was making a jump over 2 balls pocketing the 1 which i was intending but the cue ball caroms off the 7 and follows the 1 in the same pocket.

my opponent said ...wow...great jump...too bad you scratched. one of them games when i was glad it was over.

he is a 5 like me but has uncanny luck when resorting to slop in 9 ball firing warp speed when he does not have an easy shot. he does not play 8 ball the same way cause he is afraid of making an early 8 shooting like that.

simply amazing i can win 8 ball 4-0 but he just goes wild in 9 ball and slops some thing in almost every shot when he does not have an easy shot.

i hate playing any player who does that but i really hate when a few 5's and 6's in my area resort to that.

I've played several that use this strategy and it can be frustrating, particularly at how effective it can be on bar boxes. I had a tournament match like you described, my opponent was 3 sheets to the wind, and playing like they hadn't a care in the world. Never tried to make anything other than a legal shot, but shot hard. Every time either slopping something in or leaving me hooked. I had to play safe in the last game, the guy takes his time on this shot and this shot only, and makes it straight in like a drunken master. If I didn't know him, I'd swear he was hustlin'. But it was just dumb luck and I stress the dumb part.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost my first 9 ball match of the session 12-8.

Came back and skunked him in 8 5-0. Had two 8 on the breaks which is crazy because no one ever gets them on our tables. Almost had a 3rd. Must have been the way he was racking them because No one in our league has 1 this whole session, and I get two in one night. I'll take it I guess.

Our team is looking good to have a chance to make tricups in both 8 and 9.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost my first 9 ball match of the session 12-8.

Came back and skunked him in 8 5-0. Had two 8 on the breaks which is crazy because no one ever gets them on our tables. Almost had a 3rd. Must have been the way he was racking them because No one in our league has 1 this whole session, and I get two in one night. I'll take it I guess.

Our team is looking good to have a chance to make tricups in both 8 and 9.

If you lose in 9-ball, 12-8 is as good as it gets. There's no shame in a close match like that. According to the APA, they want every match to be close like that lol

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you lose in 9-ball, 12-8 is as good as it gets. There's no shame in a close match like that. According to the APA, they want every match to be close like that lol

Yeah, I've been steamrolling people in 9, finally moved up to a 6. Won last week as a 6, but played a 4 who just moved down from a 5. Def could've played better in 9. And yeah the equalizer makes it where every match in APA should be 12-8 or 13-7 at worst hahahaha

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I've been steamrolling people in 9, finally moved up to a 6. Won last week as a 6, but played a 4 who just moved down from a 5. Def could've played better in 9. And yeah the equalizer makes it where every match in APA should be 12-8 or 13-7 at worst hahahaha

It's tough spotting someone that's close to equal. It's solid practice, though. Having to spot someone who almost plays even, it gets the blood pumping lol

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's tough spotting someone that's close to equal. It's solid practice, though. Having to spot someone who almost plays even, it gets the blood pumping lol

Totally agree Dave. I have only played pool for a little over a year and a half. If I can't play against someone better, than I always give spots to people who aren't as good or equal to challenge myself. It seems to work, I'm close to a 7 in 8 ball and a solid 6 in 9 only playing one league night a week. I love pool though, and am always trying to get better.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree Dave. I have only played pool for a little over a year and a half. If I can't play against someone better, than I always give spots to people who aren't as good or equal to challenge myself. It seems to work, I'm close to a 7 in 8 ball and a solid 6 in 9 only playing one league night a week. I love pool though, and am always trying to get better.

The quickest way I gained knowledge in one pocket, was giving my buddy 12-4 and I spot him 4 games on the wire, in a race to 7 for 9-ball. I don't always win, but it's good practice.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played double jeapordy tonight and shot pretty good for a change.

faced another 5 in 9 ball and won 38-24.

faced a 4 in 8 ball and won 4-0.

maybe masters is helping me or i just had one of those good nights. :smile:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Played 3 matches today. Two make-ups, in addition to my regular league match.

1. Make up match for next week. I played even, and lost hill-hill by scratching on the 9.
One of my friends from the league commented that I drew a beauty. I quipped, she's no slouch and she made me work for it. I think she would be more attractive if I got two games on 9 next time. :)

Regular schedule match, gave two games, and won 9-7. Thinking I was done for the night I had two Goose IPAs.

My opponent from last week saw me, ask if I was available for a make-up. He gave me 5 on 10. 45 minutes and 6 games later I won 10-1 despite two beers.

I'm 9-4 so far this season, only 1 match left. It may be superstition, I'm putting off a new tip and shaft refinishing until after my final match.

Last edited:

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to chime in with what I managed to do last week in 8 ball.

I'm a 6 playing a 4, was up 3-0 just cruzin' along. Game 4, I break and run the table just to choke on a pretty straight in simply 8. My opponent ended up winning the next three games to take the match. In all three games I was missing easy simply shots always thinking about the missed runout.

For the life of me, I couldn't shake that 8 ball miss and it couldn't get it out of my head!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yesterday, my opponent took a break and it turn things around for her.

I tried taking a break, and while standing outside the poolhall attracted a bunch of Jehovah Witnesses who tried to convert me. That encounter didn't save my match. :-(

Have to chime in with what I managed to do last week in 8 ball.

I'm a 6 playing a 4, was up 3-0 just cruzin' along. Game 4, I break and run the table just to choke on a pretty straight in simply 8. My opponent ended up winning the next three games to take the match. In all three games I was missing easy simply shots always thinking about the missed runout.

For the life of me, I couldn't shake that 8 ball miss and it couldn't get it out of my head!

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played double jeapordy tonight and shot pretty good for a change.

faced another 5 in 9 ball and won 38-24.

faced a 4 in 8 ball and won 4-0.

maybe masters is helping me or i just had one of those good nights. :smile:

Congrats on the good night!