how are ya'll doing in league ?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Match last night: Dude i was playing was a new player, so sl4. In the middle of the match, before i was about to break from winning last rack, their captain asks how long i have played. I said 20 years. He said he thought six months based on how i shoot.

I said, "well, i'm breaking and your guy isn't". I then proceeded to crush his guy. Dude made only 4 total balls in next 4 racks.
Was he being a dick or was it just a bad joke? Either way it didn't work :thumbup:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My teams have finished just out of the playoffs the last two sessions, both 8 & 9 ball.

New sessions start next week. I ain't having any more of that! And this better be the session where I go up one, at least in 8-ball.

<--------feeling motivated

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best session I've had for me personally, as well the teams. I play on one 8-ball team and two 9-ball teams. Combined record personally was 18-6.

The best part is all 3 teams are in the tri-cup next weekend. Should make for a busy weekend.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Match last night: Dude i was playing was a new player, so sl4. In the middle of the match, before i was about to break from winning last rack, their captain asks how long i have played. I said 20 years. He said he thought six months based on how i shoot.

I said, "well, i'm breaking and your guy isn't". I then proceeded to crush his guy. Dude made only 4 total balls in next 4 racks.

What a swell guy. I think I start playing defense and hitting on his girl..
If we're playing 8 ball and I'm down to the 8, I play 5 or 6 more defensive shots, or if I feel like it I play defense until he quits.
The lot of us are honorable guys. If you're like me you don't usually complain at a McDonald's or a Starbucks if the service is poor or the coffee is bad, I guess most times we just figure that that person is having a bad day and we understand, if you disagree with someone and they become offensive typically we'd let it go - not my business, or if you're playing a "cretinous slug" like you were we do our best not to let that asshat's attitude get in the way, well, I'm tired of that, never did any good anyway.
I'm thinking it may be better to feared and thought of poorly by people that don't matter than it is to treat every ass hat with the respect and dignity that you want them to treat you with

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a rough night last night. I've been coming off a cold and got there at 6:30 hoping to play first, but ended up going fourth at 10 pm. The other team put up a very good 4, but I put myself up as a 7 just because I wanted to get the hell out of there! 5-2 match.

First game went kind of according to expectations, dry break and won in 4 innings with two safeties thanks to a nice full table position shot. Then I broke great but dry and he ran the table (we play on 9 footers - he's a good 4). 1-1 and no room for error, but I was making all sorts of errors. I missed a straight in full table shot by nearly 1 diamond and had a couple bad scratches.

He should have beaten me a couple times.... BUT... he kept leaving the door creaked open. I cleared all but one of the open tables he left me and tried to keep focus on not leaving him anything if I missed. I didn't have my best stuff at all and was hitting some ugly shots, but didn't miss any of the critical ones. I ended up winning the last four games and won 5-1.

Number one thing to work on is the break. I broke five times and broke dry five times while spreading all the balls out nicely for the other guy. That ended up working out in my favor because he couldn't close the deal, but will bite me in the ass in the future.

Banks

Banned
Number one thing to work on is the break. I broke five times and broke dry five times while spreading all the balls out nicely for the other guy. That ended up working out in my favor because he couldn't close the deal, but will bite me in the ass in the future.

Same here and i like to think of my 8b break as a strength, but i made one ball on the break in my match Monday and of course left myself like crap. Pulled off the W with a decent D in the last rack. Second match this season.

Trying to phase in a break from league, so not playing regularly. Have bca interdivisionals going on, dealing with more tables, apa singles regionals coming up, bca regionals, then a vacation back east to nyc. If anyone knows of a good barbox place around central park, hit me up.

Last season i was two for six. I'm blaming it on work. :eek:

Finally having someone taking over running my small bca division next season.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playoffs tonight in 9-Ball against the team that spanked us last week. The three previous meetings resulted in us taking them, but last week most of us were off.

This week its do-or-die and we really want it. I need to get my game together as I have been suffering in 9-ball while excelling in 8-ball. My match last week was against an SL3 (I lost), when all previous were against SL6's, which I took every one. For some reason the lower SL's step their games up and mine drops large.

Tonight will be the turn around and I'm shooting for a '20-0', doesn't matter who my opponent is! :)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mission Make SL6 - week one

I beat a SL6, 4-2 in 30 innings, with probly a half dozen defensive shots, so probably about 4.2-4.5 innings per game.

Decent start. I need more 3-0s, in fewer innings. I win enough, I just don't get out when I should. Grrrrr

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mission Make SL6 - week one

I beat a SL6, 4-2 in 30 innings, with probly a half dozen defensive shots, so probably about 4.2-4.5 innings per game.

Decent start. I need more 3-0s, in fewer innings. I win enough, I just don't get out when I should. Grrrrr
So you needed 4 games and your opponent needed 5?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So you needed 4 games and your opponent needed 5?

Yes. He and I have good matches, have been doing so for years. He's recently been raised to SL6, and was pretty pumped about it. I kinda rained on his parade. He uncharacteristically missed a few shots that gave me an edge, and my safeties were pretty good as well. Had a good night, I just need to get out quicker.

There are a few of us friends that have been SL5's for a few years now, and we're kinda racing each other to "get promoted". The friend that I played last night was first of us to go up.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. He and I have good matches, have been doing so for years. He's recently been raised to SL6, and was pretty pumped about it. I kinda rained on his parade. He uncharacteristically missed a few shots that gave me an edge, and my safeties were pretty good as well. Had a good night, I just need to get out quicker.

There are a few of us friends that have been SL5's for a few years now, and we're kinda racing each other to "get promoted". The friend that I played last night was first of us to go up.
Sounds like you're next in line then. :thumbup:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Que the grumpy whine....

I'm pretty aggravated with my play. Or rather my lack of consistency. Just when I think I'm making progress, I shoot like crap.

I know that consistency will only come with a lot more play and practice than I'm putting in now, but that doesn't make the poor play any less frustrating.

End whine.

Sigh.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Que the grumpy whine....

I'm pretty aggravated with my play. Or rather my lack of consistency. Just when I think I'm making progress, I shoot like crap.

I know that consistency will only come with a lot more play and practice than I'm putting in now, but that doesn't make the poor play any less frustrating.

End whine.

Sigh.

You seem to be in a slump, we've all had 'em, I know you have too. They go away after you hit enough balls. I think sometimes you just have to play through them. Like when you drink so much that you drink past a hangover. Either that or.....

Attachments

• SB.JPG
    SB.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 176

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I never really enjoyed playing league all that much unless it's non handicap. With that being said, I've caved a couple times when close friends are looking for a stronger player and rub my ego until I agree to play on their team.

I'm a 9/7 and just recently found myself without motivation rather than being in what others might call a "slump". My normal winning percentages for APA 9-Ball, 8-Ball and Masters range between 75-85%. The past couple weeks I just don't feel like playing and it shows dramatically with a percentage that's fallen closer to 50%. It's not that I'm not trying or that I'm sandbagging but there's no drive, no focus, or killer instinct. People have said that my worst day is better than most others best but that's not very reassuring when you're spotting someone 40 balls.

Last night I played an 8-Ball make-up match that was absolutely horrible (I was eating my awesome catfish dinner at the time so that could've been a distraction). I won 6-1 in 25 innings and then the regular schedule programming was 5-0 in 7 innings with two break and runs which was a bit more respectable.

So to sum it up, I think I need a short break so I don't feel so burned out.

Last edited:

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member

That is the key!!! You aren't paying your rent by playing APA, so you should shoot only when it's fun. The team will understand if you take a few weeks off to recharge or relax.

How am I doing personally? As a captain of a team, the focus is more on everybody shooting and having fun (while being competitive). However, my day job is tax accounting and auditing. So the Winter session is especially difficult to make it to matches or dedicate enough time to keeping the team organized.

A teammate was leading Top Gun in both 8 and 9-ball (he is SL 4) heading into the last week of Summer session. His 9-ball lead was 3 points over 2nd place (me) and he won his match against a SL 3 so he had a 6 point lead over me heading into the 5th and final match of the night. As it was the end of session and we were secure in 2nd place overall I threw myself and was going to have some fun. The other team throws their 7 and through a combination of liquid courage and playing for fun, I win the match and accidentally take Top Gun away from the teammate by 1 point. :frown:

It would have been his 1st Top Gun award, while i've won a few. Our local league gives nothing to the Top Gun so the team uses winnings to buy trophies to reward our players.

Fast forward to this session and i'm undefeated at 5-0 in 9-ball and shooting really well even with busy season going on. In fact, only one match has been against a lower ranked player so it feels extra special to be beating higher/equal ranked players :thumbup:

I think it's helped that the co-captain has taken over team duties on the weeks that I show up late and have to leave early due to work.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Que the grumpy whine....

End whine.

Sigh.

Know what you mean dub.. I have commented countless times on here about my in consistency

In the last 4 weeks I have been raised to a 6 and lowered BA k to a 5 three times in 9 ball.

After beating another 5 by 38-15 in 10 innings while playing 3 safes tonight I will probably be raised to a 6 again....only to be curbstomped by a 4 like last time I was raised and be lowered back down again .lol

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really enjoyed playing league all that much unless it's non handicap. With that being said, I've caved a couple times when close friends are looking for a stronger player and rub my ego until I agree to play on their team.

I'm a 9/7 and just recently found myself without motivation rather than being in what others might call a "slump". My normal winning percentages for APA 9-Ball, 8-Ball and Masters range between 75-85%. The past couple weeks I just don't feel like playing and it shows dramatically with a percentage that's fallen closer to 50%. It's not that I'm not trying or that I'm sandbagging but there's no drive, no focus, or killer instinct. People have said that my worst day is better than most others best but that's not very reassuring when you're spotting someone 40 balls.

Last night I played an 8-Ball make-up match that was absolutely horrible (I was eating my awesome catfish dinner at the time so that could've been a distraction). I won 6-1 in 25 innings and then the regular schedule programming was 5-0 in 7 innings with two break and runs which was a bit more respectable.

Where in Alabama? Trying to see if I know you...you play Rowell, Wei Pang, Gibson or Robert Hall?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Know what you mean dub.. I have commented countless times on here about my in consistency

In the last 4 weeks I have been raised to a 6 and lowered BA k to a 5 three times in 9 ball.

After beating another 5 by 38-15 in 10 innings while playing 3 safes tonight I will probably be raised to a 6 again....only to be curbstomped by a 4 like last time I was raised and be lowered back down again .lol

Two guys on my 9-ball team are just like that, bouncing back and forth between 5 & 6. Fortunately they don't often go to 6 at the same time :p tho we're constructed to make it work if it does happen.

I can't ever get consistent enough to get bumped to a 6. And that annoys the stuff out of me. I play with all these guys, often. 5's, 6's and 7's. I can hang with'em. Just not when it counts. Yet.