Grip vs. Elbow

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! You don't know what you don't know! You can try to figure it out on your own, but it's difficult because you don't know what to look for...and it can take a considerable amount of time and effort. The video analysis and instructor review are the quick keys to knowing what needs fixing (and how to fix it)...and what doesn't. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Not that my opinion matters, but I felt I was pretty knowledgeable about pool and the fundamentals. I took a lesson and there was a large gap between what I thought I was doing and what I was actually doing. If I hadn't taken the lesson and gotten a video review, I still would be doing those same things wrong.

Asking questions on here is great and all but if you aren't able to implement the advice correctly you haven't accomplished much of anything.

Last edited:

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revisiting this after I spent the holidays on my own table focusing on pool only, no snooker... I have this to say on the subject:

What I've noticed is that if you get flat and low with your feet a full cue length from from the CB, a loose shuffle grip will not give you the straightest cuing for a pendulum stroke. Although I do resort to that plenty in 3C and some high-angle cuing situations, for a pure pendulum stroke, your grip may need to be a bit more disciplined and less variable. As far as I could work out grabbing between 15-20 cues with tips from 7.5mm up to 13.4mm and weights between 16 and 21oz. When you get your shoulder and elbow tucked back low in line with your cue in a pure pendulum (ZERO shoulder movement until the end of the follow through) if you stroke nice and low like snooker instructors teach, you'll find a firm hand (but not overly firm grip grip) helps with a very, very linear (in all three axes) cuing motion.

As I stand with my hips more square to the table ( this will be foreign to many pool players) I concentrate on keeping my shoulders in a natural and wide posture with my head up, stroking arm fully extended with only fingertips on the cue. Then I bend only at the hip while keeping my back leg straight. The cue falls in dead line under my chin, under my shoulder, with my elbow in the same plane. I get my cue/elbow as low as possible without pulling my shoulders out of plane. For most near-level cuing angles, I will tighten up my index and middle fingers (index finger reaching forward a tad with thumb to match). With only a 6 inch backstroke, I find I can nail the back of the pocket and force follow two table lengths, or draw 2 1/2 with ease, no raising up, no accidental sidespin (using a measle ball to be absolutely sure)

A looser and wristy shuffle grip works for that only if I stand closer and taller, and without nearly the same precision. So what I've decided to experiment on now, as far as grip vs. elbow is if I can really get all the cue power I need out of this stance and grip, which I find phenomenally precise, crisp, and delivering tremendous action in a shorter stroke, while still being able to stand over an obstructing ball and loose or firm grip my shot as the situation calls for. That is, when I'm cuing over a ball close-in and have to be a little lax on the leave in order to be sure of the pot, I will likely take a firm grip. If I have to take a high cuing angle and still draw the ball a good deal, I will still reach back my shoulder and elbow the same as if I were level and low on the table, but turn it to reach a high level of attack. In such a case, I have to keep a looser grip to get the desired action, as a firm grip may drive the CB too hard to the table and result in a hop.

Fran is right, listen to her. A pure pendulum stroke requires a rigorous stance and setup but rewards a firmer grip. A loose grip with a pure pendulum stroke will be less precise (pure pendulum is usually a shorter stroke so easy for looseness to result in tip wandering) and in my experience, will either be unpredictable in the exact tip position and/or power, or will require you to J-stroke a little bit, dropping your elbow at the right time.

I clear 15-ball rotation more often than not and run centuries on snooker tables, but even I'm still working out the importance of the grip as you are required to adjust your stance and how your elbow falls in line. Yes, I really think the utmost accuracy comes from an elbow and stance that gets your cuing line set firmly in order without any chance for variance. That said, I also think pool can be a more fast and loose game and mastering organic touch (whatever your preferred technique) works just as well as mastering cuing precision.

When I have a very difficult bank I do not get down in my snooker stance. I stand up a few inches, feel the flow, and guide the ball home with intuition and some shoulder involvement. Pool does not require pure pendulum, it just requires you to be 'good enough' with your aiming to make the pocket, and get decent shape. I applaud your efforts to explore a pure pendulum. But when push comes to shove, especially on a smaller table, you'll find yourself standing sideways, cuing sideways, and having no option but to let your elbow go a bit free in order to get the range of motion you need to spin a ball in and still get shape. It's part of pool. Develop all the various skills and strokes you can and settle on the combination that works for you game.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revisiting this after I spent the holidays on my own table focusing on pool only, no snooker... I have this to say on the subject:

What I've noticed is that if you get flat and low with your feet a full cue length from from the CB, a loose shuffle grip will not give you the straightest cuing for a pendulum stroke. Although I do resort to that plenty in 3C and some high-angle cuing situations, for a pure pendulum stroke, your grip may need to be a bit more disciplined and less variable. As far as I could work out grabbing between 15-20 cues with tips from 7.5mm up to 13.4mm and weights between 16 and 21oz. When you get your shoulder and elbow tucked back low in line with your cue in a pure pendulum (ZERO shoulder movement until the end of the follow through) if you stroke nice and low like snooker instructors teach, you'll find a firm hand (but not overly firm grip grip) helps with a very, very linear (in all three axes) cuing motion.

As I stand with my hips more square to the table ( this will be foreign to many pool players) I concentrate on keeping my shoulders in a natural and wide posture with my head up, stroking arm fully extended with only fingertips on the cue. Then I bend only at the hip while keeping my back leg straight. The cue falls in dead line under my chin, under my shoulder, with my elbow in the same plane. I get my cue/elbow as low as possible without pulling my shoulders out of plane. For most near-level cuing angles, I will tighten up my index and middle fingers (index finger reaching forward a tad with thumb to match). With only a 6 inch backstroke, I find I can nail the back of the pocket and force follow two table lengths, or draw 2 1/2 with ease, no raising up, no accidental sidespin (using a measle ball to be absolutely sure)

A looser and wristy shuffle grip works for that only if I stand closer and taller, and without nearly the same precision. So what I've decided to experiment on now, as far as grip vs. elbow is if I can really get all the cue power I need out of this stance and grip, which I find phenomenally precise, crisp, and delivering tremendous action in a shorter stroke, while still being able to stand over an obstructing ball and loose or firm grip my shot as the situation calls for. That is, when I'm cuing over a ball close-in and have to be a little lax on the leave in order to be sure of the pot, I will likely take a firm grip. If I have to take a high cuing angle and still draw the ball a good deal, I will still reach back my shoulder and elbow the same as if I were level and low on the table, but turn it to reach a high level of attack. In such a case, I have to keep a looser grip to get the desired action, as a firm grip may drive the CB too hard to the table and result in a hop.

Fran is right, listen to her. A pure pendulum stroke requires a rigorous stance and setup but rewards a firmer grip. A loose grip with a pure pendulum stroke will be less precise (pure pendulum is usually a shorter stroke so easy for looseness to result in tip wandering) and in my experience, will either be unpredictable in the exact tip position and/or power, or will require you to J-stroke a little bit, dropping your elbow at the right time.

I clear 15-ball rotation more often than not and run centuries on snooker tables, but even I'm still working out the importance of the grip as you are required to adjust your stance and how your elbow falls in line. Yes, I really think the utmost accuracy comes from an elbow and stance that gets your cuing line set firmly in order without any chance for variance. That said, I also think pool can be a more fast and loose game and mastering organic touch (whatever your preferred technique) works just as well as mastering cuing precision.

When I have a very difficult bank I do not get down in my snooker stance. I stand up a few inches, feel the flow, and guide the ball home with intuition and some shoulder involvement. Pool does not require pure pendulum, it just requires you to be 'good enough' with your aiming to make the pocket, and get decent shape. I applaud your efforts to explore a pure pendulum. But when push comes to shove, especially on a smaller table, you'll find yourself standing sideways, cuing sideways, and having no option but to let your elbow go a bit free in order to get the range of motion you need to spin a ball in and still get shape. It's part of pool. Develop all the various skills and strokes you can and settle on the combination that works for you game.

This answer is exactly why Scott and Randy said to see an instructor. Sorry, but there is much misinformation in your post about the pendulum stroke.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This answer is exactly why Scott and Randy said to see an instructor. Sorry, but there is much misinformation in your post about the pendulum stroke.

Can you be more specific? Which parts are misinformation, and why?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any tricks on teaching how to eliminate the shoulder. My son has a tiny bit of interest that I want to nurture. His stroke is all shoulder. I tried to hold his elbow in position so he could get the feel but I couldn't stop it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you be more specific? Which parts are misinformation, and why?

Originally Posted by Gorramjayne View Post

What I've noticed is that if you get flat and low with your feet a full cue length from from the CB, a loose shuffle grip will not give you the straightest cuing for a pendulum stroke. Although I do resort to that plenty in 3C and some high-angle cuing situations, for a pure pendulum stroke, your grip may need to be a bit more disciplined and less variable.A pendulum stroke actually works easier with a loose grip. Once you start tightening muscles, such as the forearm to control a tighter grip, you are more likely to actually put the cue off line a little. If you are going off line with a loose grip, you were not on the correct line to start with. As far as I could work out grabbing between 15-20 cues with tips from 7.5mm up to 13.4mm and weights between 16 and 21oz. When you get your shoulder and elbow tucked back low in line with your cue in a pure pendulum (ZERO shoulder movement until the end of the follow through) if you stroke nice and low like snooker instructors teach, you'll find a firm hand (but not overly firm grip grip) helps with a very, very linear (in all three axes) cuing motion.The weight of the cue, or the diameter of the tip has zero correlation to using a pendulum stroke. A pendulum stroke will not have a liner cueing action in all three axis to start with. The fact that you are trying to keep the cue level with the table at all times states that you are not using a pendulum stroke properly to start with.

Good that is working for you. However, the OP asked about using a pendulum stroke, and what you described does not sound like a pendulum stroke at all.

If you are reaching back your shoulder and elbow, you aren't using a pendulum stroke. If you do use a pendulum stroke, then the cue goes back, and then goes forward on the exact same line it went back on. Very precise way of cuing. Accomplished best with a loose grip which keeps everything on line.
Fran is right, listen to her. A pure pendulum stroke requires a rigorous stance and setup but rewards a firmer grip.Not true at all. A loose grip with a pure pendulum stroke will be less precise (pure pendulum is usually a shorter stroke so easy for looseness to result in tip wandering)Again, not true. A loose grip tends to be more accurate. A shorter stroke would actually cause less wandering of the tip if one is not properly aligned to start with. But, there is no reason at all that using a pendulum stroke results in a shorter stroke. Your arm can only go back as far as it is long. Dropping your elbow doesn't make your arm longer, and not dropping it doesn't make it any shorter. and in my experience, will either be unpredictable in the exact tip position and/or power, or will require you to J-stroke a little bit, dropping your elbow at the right time.You thinking this, is exactly why I said you should see Randy or Scott.

I clear 15-ball rotation more often than not and run centuries on snooker tables, but even I'm still working out the importance of the grip as you are required to adjust your stance and how your elbow falls in line. Yes, I really think the utmost accuracy comes from an elbow and stance that gets your cuing line set firmly in order without any chance for variance.Which would be the pendulum stroke, yet you have also stated that it is less precise unless one grips the cue firmer. That said, I also think pool can be a more fast and loose game and mastering organic touch (whatever your preferred technique) works just as well as mastering cuing precision.

When I have a very difficult bank I do not get down in my snooker stance. I stand up a few inches, feel the flow, and guide the ball home with intuition and some shoulder involvement. Pool does not require pure pendulum, it just requires you to be 'good enough' with your aiming to make the pocket, and get decent shape. I applaud your efforts to explore a pure pendulum. But when push comes to shove, especially on a smaller table,Again, go see Randy or Scott or Mark Wilson. The size of the table has nothing to do with the results of a pendulum stroke. you'll find yourself standing sideways, cuing sideways,In case you have missed it, that is not a bad thing. You will be hard pressed to find a pool player with a true square snooker stance. and having no option but to let your elbow go a bit free in order to get the range of motion you need to spin a ball in and still get shape. It's part of pool.Again, not true. You can anything with a pendulum stroke that you can do with an elbow drop. The balls don't know or care what type of stroke you used. They only care where they were hit, at what angle of approach, and what speed. Develop all the various skills and strokes you can and settle on the combination that works for you game.

There you go Fran. But, to be honest, one has to ask why a master instructor would ask me such a question, when it should have been as obvious to you as it was to me. Which makes one wonder just what your motive actually is in even asking the question, instead of agreeing with it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any tricks on teaching how to eliminate the shoulder. My son has a tiny bit of interest that I want to nurture. His stroke is all shoulder. I tried to hold his elbow in position so he could get the feel but I couldn't stop it.

Practice stroking just from the elbow while standing. It helps train the elbow to not move when down on the shot.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by Gorramjayne View Post

What I've noticed is that if you get flat and low with your feet a full cue length from from the CB, a loose shuffle grip will not give you the straightest cuing for a pendulum stroke. Although I do resort to that plenty in 3C and some high-angle cuing situations, for a pure pendulum stroke, your grip may need to be a bit more disciplined and less variable.A pendulum stroke actually works easier with a loose grip. Once you start tightening muscles, such as the forearm to control a tighter grip, you are more likely to actually put the cue off line a little. If you are going off line with a loose grip, you were not on the correct line to start with. As far as I could work out grabbing between 15-20 cues with tips from 7.5mm up to 13.4mm and weights between 16 and 21oz. When you get your shoulder and elbow tucked back low in line with your cue in a pure pendulum (ZERO shoulder movement until the end of the follow through) if you stroke nice and low like snooker instructors teach, you'll find a firm hand (but not overly firm grip grip) helps with a very, very linear (in all three axes) cuing motion.The weight of the cue, or the diameter of the tip has zero correlation to using a pendulum stroke. A pendulum stroke will not have a liner cueing action in all three axis to start with. The fact that you are trying to keep the cue level with the table at all times states that you are not using a pendulum stroke properly to start with.

Good that is working for you. However, the OP asked about using a pendulum stroke, and what you described does not sound like a pendulum stroke at all.

If you are reaching back your shoulder and elbow, you aren't using a pendulum stroke. If you do use a pendulum stroke, then the cue goes back, and then goes forward on the exact same line it went back on. Very precise way of cuing. Accomplished best with a loose grip which keeps everything on line.
Fran is right, listen to her. A pure pendulum stroke requires a rigorous stance and setup but rewards a firmer grip.Not true at all. A loose grip with a pure pendulum stroke will be less precise (pure pendulum is usually a shorter stroke so easy for looseness to result in tip wandering)Again, not true. A loose grip tends to be more accurate. A shorter stroke would actually cause less wandering of the tip if one is not properly aligned to start with. But, there is no reason at all that using a pendulum stroke results in a shorter stroke. Your arm can only go back as far as it is long. Dropping your elbow doesn't make your arm longer, and not dropping it doesn't make it any shorter. and in my experience, will either be unpredictable in the exact tip position and/or power, or will require you to J-stroke a little bit, dropping your elbow at the right time.You thinking this, is exactly why I said you should see Randy or Scott.

I clear 15-ball rotation more often than not and run centuries on snooker tables, but even I'm still working out the importance of the grip as you are required to adjust your stance and how your elbow falls in line. Yes, I really think the utmost accuracy comes from an elbow and stance that gets your cuing line set firmly in order without any chance for variance.Which would be the pendulum stroke, yet you have also stated that it is less precise unless one grips the cue firmer. That said, I also think pool can be a more fast and loose game and mastering organic touch (whatever your preferred technique) works just as well as mastering cuing precision.

When I have a very difficult bank I do not get down in my snooker stance. I stand up a few inches, feel the flow, and guide the ball home with intuition and some shoulder involvement. Pool does not require pure pendulum, it just requires you to be 'good enough' with your aiming to make the pocket, and get decent shape. I applaud your efforts to explore a pure pendulum. But when push comes to shove, especially on a smaller table,Again, go see Randy or Scott or Mark Wilson. The size of the table has nothing to do with the results of a pendulum stroke. you'll find yourself standing sideways, cuing sideways,In case you have missed it, that is not a bad thing. You will be hard pressed to find a pool player with a true square snooker stance. and having no option but to let your elbow go a bit free in order to get the range of motion you need to spin a ball in and still get shape. It's part of pool.Again, not true. You can anything with a pendulum stroke that you can do with an elbow drop. The balls don't know or care what type of stroke you used. They only care where they were hit, at what angle of approach, and what speed. Develop all the various skills and strokes you can and settle on the combination that works for you game.

There you go Fran. But, to be honest, one has to ask why a master instructor would ask me such a question, when it should have been as obvious to you as it was to me. Which makes one wonder just what your motive actually is in even asking the question, instead of agreeing with it.

It's not for me. It's for the rest of the posters who I imagine would appreciate understanding what it is that you're criticizing rather than a blanket statement that there is misinformation in that post.

As for the content of your so-called critique --- when you learn more about the game and when you learn to be more polite to me, then we can discuss it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not for me. It's for the rest of the posters who I imagine would appreciate understanding what it is that you're criticizing rather than a blanket statement that there is misinformation in that post.

As for the content of your so-called critique --- when you learn more about the game and when you learn to be more polite to me, then we can discuss it.

Doesn't surprise me a bit that you had to throw an insult in there. You do it with every instructor on here. And, if you want politeness, you should try giving it first. :rolleyes:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't surprise me a bit that you had to throw an insult in there. You do it with every instructor on here. And, if you want politeness, you should try giving it first. :rolleyes:

Neil, you always conveniently forget that I was always polite to you. It was you who got nasty and continue to be. I wrote here once that I try to consider that you are not well. But that is no excuse for your continuous condescension of me and other posters here. It would serve you better to show people some respect if you want it back. I keep negative interactions like this short so feel free to have the last word. I'm done.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil, you always conveniently forget that I was always polite to you. It was you who got nasty and continue to be. I wrote here once that I try to consider that you are not well. But that is no excuse for your continuous condescension of me and other posters here. It would serve you better to show people some respect if you want it back. I keep negative interactions like this short so feel free to have the last word. I'm done.

Nice card out of your buddy Rick's playbook. Try and make it look like you are taking the high road while throwing insults and lies around. You both are as transparent as a pane of glass. You aren't fooling anyone but yourselves.

Remember, you are the one that started the crap again just so you could try and needle me once again. Since you want to state that my critique was garbage, where is yours? Oh, that's right, there isn't one. You just wanted to knock me once again. Nothing on topic for you, just your usual slams. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for nothin', but every one of Neil's 'criticisms' of Gorramjaynes post was absolutely correct...so there's no need to try and make it look like he doesn't know what he's talking about. He knows more about the pendulum stroke than some master instructors. The poster he corrected loves to make long protracted posts, apparently to make themselves appear to be some kind of instructor...which they are not.

Scott Lee

Nice card out of your buddy Rick's playbook. Try and make it look like you are taking the high road while throwing insults and lies around. You both are as transparent as a pane of glass. You aren't fooling anyone but yourselves.

Remember, you are the one that started the crap again just so you could try and needle me once again. Since you want to state that my critique was garbage, where is yours? Oh, that's right, there isn't one. You just wanted to knock me once again. Nothing on topic for you, just your usual slams. :rolleyes:

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fine I'll bite. I should say that what I meant to make clear is my main point in advocating a firmer 'grip' is to keep a firmer wrist, exerting only enough pressure on the cue to keep control of it, effectively making your wrist/hand part of the pendulum. I think everything Fran has said is right.

A pendulum stroke actually works easier with a loose grip. Once you start tightening muscles, such as the forearm to control a tighter grip, you are more likely to actually put the cue off line a little. If you are going off line with a loose grip, you were not on the correct line to start with.

Why don't you ask Judd Trump or Ronnie O'Sullivan how important it is to stay loose with their grip? Ronnie states quite clearly that when he takes on a a firm shot he increases his grip firmness before he increases his stroke seed.

When I say firm, I mean the rigidity of your hand/wrist, so that if someone were to walk up and try to pry your hand *open* or manipulate your wrist, it would be hard to do. If the stroke is truly coming from your elbow, you can can keep your grip/wrist much stiffer than if you're piston stroking before you tend to want to pull the cue off line. If you can't power a ball in a straight line with a firmer-wristed pendulum stroke, part of your setup may be out of line and/or and you're wanting to pronate/supinate your forearm a bit, twisting the cue trying to keep it in line.

The problem with an overly loose grip is that it makes your wrist want to flop. If you let your wrist hinge freely as your elbow moves, it will cause your hand travel less since your wrist will hinge forward on the backswing, and backward on the forward stroke, limiting the effectiveness of the 'pendulum'.

The weight of the cue, or the diameter of the tip has zero correlation to using a pendulum stroke. A pendulum stroke will not have a liner cueing action in all three axis to start with. The fact that you are trying to keep the cue level with the table at all times states that you are not using a pendulum stroke properly to start with.

The OP was trying to transition to a stroke with absolutely no elbow drop which is rare in pool. Pool cues generally are back heavy and usually heavier overall compared to snooker cues so can sometimes benefit from some degree of elbow drop, many players preferring to partly 'release' rather than 'drive' their cue into the CB at contact.

As Matt asked the OP, there is a question of whether a pool player needs a 'pure' pendulum stroke. If you stand with your hips facing slightly away from the table the way most pool players do, you have will have room for your backswing and more lift on the backswing, so a looser grip and hint of elbow drop hurts nothing because as long as you bring the cue straight back, have a smooth transition, and do not move your body, the cue's own weight will also tend to help go forward the same way it came back, usually with plenty of power. If you stand more square to the table and low, your range of motion for your stroke *will* shorten up unless you leave a lot of play in your wrist and/or let your elbow move.

As I said, if you let your wrist hinge freely with a pure pendulum stroke, it will be working *against* the effectiveness of the pendulum (your forearm) whereas a stiff wrist adds to the length of the pendulum.

Now, if you grip firmly and try to get power by flexing your wrist forwards as you stroke, you end up with a double-hinge, but that is incredibly difficult to deliver in a straight line, and you're no longer swinging just from your elbow, and this will result in all manner of problems for getting a straight cue. Is this the idea you're criticizing? Because I see players do this and it is a recipe for disaster as far as cuing straight, also with hitting a good tip or two higher than you meant to.

I mean that when I set up for the shot, I get my elbow and shoulder back from the ball in line over the cue, then on the stroke only my elbow moves. I'm a firm believer in the pendulum stroke. I'm just not a firm believer in any play in your hand/wrist that is not absolutely necessary, most of which you can eliminate with a proper stance.

Dropping your elbow doesn't make your arm longer, and not dropping it doesn't make it any shorter.

Your arm? No. It does however change effective stroking length. If you let your elbow raise/lower (piston stroke) for the amount you extend your elbow you can pull the tip back from the ball further than if your elbow doesn't move.

A pendulum stroke's range of cue motion depends on your forearm length, grip, and how much you'll flex your wrist. My advocacy here is that if you are truly low to the table with your hips facing the table, keeping a wrist firm enough that it moves as one with your forearm will deliver more consistent and accurate results up to full power shots, which means a firm enough hand that will not come open or shift during the stroke, but not pressing inward more than necessary either. Too loose or too tight will cause the cue to hop in your bridge on a power shot.

Which would be the pendulum stroke, yet you have also stated that it is less precise unless one grips the cue firmer.

Again what I should have clarified, not grip the cue *tighter*... Keep your grip (hand) firmer so there is less play, less moving parts between your elbow and the cue. And as Ronnie O'Sullivan points out, the firmer the cue is joined to your arm, the more of your arm's mass is effectively added to the cue which can help add power without adding speed beyond what you can control.

The size of the table has nothing to do with the results of a pendulum stroke. ... Again, not true. You can anything with a pendulum stroke that you can do with an elbow drop. The balls don't know or care what type of stroke you used. They only care where they were hit, at what angle of approach, and what speed.

My point here was that small tables = more awkward cuing spots (they're more crowded with more of the playing area near a rail) so you're more often elevating and/or reaching out away from your body. When I said 'let your elbow go free' I meant getting it out from behind your head and over away from you body, I certainly don't recommend letting it move on the shot when you're cuing away from your body. If anything, these awkward cuing spots PROVE how effective freezing your elbow's position actually is, difficult to hit shots dropping your elbow when you're reaching away from body. What I was trying explain was in these situations I have to give up keeping a firm wrist in some instances, and even sometimes change up my grip entirely depending on whether the situation calls for accuracy or getting more action out of the ball.

OP's question was about a loose grip with a pure pendulum stroke and I'm just trying to explain my own reasoning behind which I stay firmer in the wrist when I can get low and in line, and why I have to adapt when I have to elevate and reach away from my body so he should keep experimenting.

Seriously? Is Efren in your belly?

Nah, I just have a dependable 15-ball break, averaging 2-3 balls down with good spread.

Assuming the 15 isn't going to be pocketed on the break, the average point value of the remaining 14 balls is 7.5. With 2-3 balls on the break I start off with 15-22 points, getting to 61 is just going to happen unless there are multiple problem balls. Then the ghost probably gets the game. If I were Efren, I'd make 61 *every* time. Note if I purposely break just to spread them and rather than pocket on the break and try to get all 15 (not just to 61) in rotation, my success rate drops to 1:3 or 1:4... which is my preferred practice method. But if I'm practicing my break power and pocketing multiple balls on the break, getting 61 is about a coin toss, maybe a little in my favor.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you ask Judd Trump or Ronnie O'Sullivan how important it is to stay loose with their grip? Ronnie states quite clearly that when he takes on a a firm shot he increases his grip firmness before he increases his stroke seed.

Trump has a very light grip on the cue. Opens his hand on the backswing, and then squeezes his grip hand towards the end of the forward swing but still maintains a light touch. Trump doesn't drop his elbow, and generates most of his power from the wrist, forearm and bicep.

Ronnie's grip comment is referring to the squeeze at the end of the forward swing. He'll squeeze at different pressures depending on the shot, but never an actual 'death grip'

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You continue to show a complete lack of understanding of how the pendulum stroke works. These two examples are complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

As I said, if you let your wrist hinge freely with a pure pendulum stroke, it will be working *against* the effectiveness of the pendulum (your forearm) whereas a stiff wrist adds to the length of the pendulum.

Your arm? No. It does however change effective stroking length. If you let your elbow raise/lower (piston stroke) for the amount you extend your elbow you can pull the tip back from the ball further than if your elbow doesn't move.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You continue to show a complete lack of understanding of how the pendulum stroke works. These two examples are complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

yea i sure would like to know how the heck Jeremy Jones and Gabe Owens do what they do......

because they dont even hold the stick lol.....the fingers curve under the cue and it just rests on top......its like trying to open handed throw a ball or chalk cube accurately as it rests in your palm.....the more controlled and fluid the stroke at initiation and during delivery the more stable and static the cue will be in the delivery hand.

Theres also no difference in how far back one can pull the grip/cradle hand back between a squarer snooker style stance and the more closed pool stance, before tension between cue/grip becomes an issue.

When the elbow raises, all one is going to get is more distance traveled by the hand/arm, the cue tip isn't goiing to pull further back just because you raised your elbow........and thats not why you see guys like Stalev, Bryant and our very own Cajunbarboxplayer use this motion in the power break.....its so they can bring the elbow back down as they actually begin to stand up on the stroke....its basically a fastpitch softball sequence.

You will even notice that those guys darn near end up jumping straight up, with no forward reaching extension ala Johnny Archer......the body is incorporated so the arm doesn't have to reach back to antiquity to generate the speed, as big as the movements look, they are very compacted.....but this is very hard to learn and become accurate in linking it all together in fluid fashion.

But this is the break.......anda very niche one at that......were talking standard shots, how we always generally stroke the ball.....there is no reason why one should have to pull their delivery hand back that far as to incur tension between cue/hand as it pivots in the grip/cradle.........if you find this necessary it leads me to wonder how hard one is routinely shooting shots, or the shooter is a bunter and tends to decelerate prior to contact and needs that extra distance so the cue can go from jerking out the backswing to immideate high velocity so they can hit the breaks an make contact at some moderate speed.

Another kicker.....if gripping the cue tighter adds to the effective mass so well and helps wth power and such.......then why do baseball players not chicken choke a bat?

If they dont hold the bat tight......they must be losing power and it must be hard to bring those hands all the way around right?

negative ghost writer

the hands are just along for the ride once the cue is initiated into motion in a pendulum stroke upon delivery........

if you shot the dog gone cue out a gun at the same speed you were going to stroke theball......it would not give one iota if anything was holding it firmly or not (obviously given that your well wthin the miscue limits)

we grip firmer generally as players because our strokes/delivery/hand is not trained well enough to not want to REGRIP during higher speed shots......its a simple concept and learned with simple exercises.....but it takes a dam good bit of effort to get it down........a strong good bit, especially for an established player retraining themselves.

for a better game,
Greyghost

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Kinda scary.
This type of misinformation can set pupils back years ( or permanently develop bad habits /stroke ). You know, like me? :D
Once the pendulum stroke is learned and developed, the whole other parts of the game get easier.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very true, my friend. The pendulum stroke allows you to create your own custom, repeatable stroke, that practiced correctly, can allow the player to fall into dead stroke much more frequently, and for longer periods of time.

Scott Lee

Kinda scary.
This type of misinformation can set pupils back years ( or permanently develop bad habits /stroke ). You know, like me? :D
Once the pendulum stroke is learned and developed, the whole other parts of the game get easier.