It's Pool Related... IMO

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
IMO you should readily recognize a 30 degree angle... Question #19 on the above link.

I'm gonna continue to call it a half-ball...for me, it's a visual thing.
...when I play under pressure, don't need no math going through my head.

IMG_4060.JPG

Half ball is also the most important angle to learn for cue-ball control....
...I started on a 6x12...the black spot is 12.75 inches fro the end rail....
...'cause if the cue ball is at the side pocket, it's a half ball in-off...
...it's the red spot from English billiards.
....when you start to see that half ball angle all over, you can avoid scratches and kisses,
or get break outs.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I'm gonna continue to call it a half-ball...for me, it's a visual thing.
...when I play under pressure, don't need no math going through my head.

IMO you should readily recognize a 30 degree angle... Question #19 on the link.

..... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard/pool-dogma .....

Many players use visual overlaps & have for years.
IMO the ball overlaps can be more precisely found.

No math involved.. Just knowing your aim point for
Center CB.. You'll only need to know the pocketing
angle that the OB will go if the CB hits at that point.

If center CB is aimed at center OB ( line 1) it goes straight.
If center CB is aimed at the OB edge (line 5) ....it goes 30*
If center CB aims 1/2 way between 1&5 (line 3) it goes 15*
Whatever OB line is aimed at, it can be seen & will repeat.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many players use visual overlaps & have for years.
IMO the ball overlaps can be more precisely found.

No math involved.. Just knowing your aim point for
Center CB.. You'll only need to know the pocketing
angle that the OB will go if the CB hits at that point.

If center CB is aimed at center OB ( line 1) it goes straight.
If center CB is aimed at the OB edge (line 5) ....it goes 30*
If center CB aims 1/2 way between 1&5 (line 3) it goes 15*
Whatever OB line is aimed at, it can be seen & will repeat.

The 5 verticle lines for ball overlaps using center CB

Ball overlaps... Line 1 (Full ball).. Line 2 (7/8 ball).. Line 3 (3/4 ball).. Line 4 (5/8 ball).. Line 5 (1/2 ball)

The cut angles do not increase linearly as the overlap decreases, but your approximation of 7.5° per eighth of overlap works fine out to the half-ball aim.

Here are the cut angles to a little more precision for each eighth of overlap or fullness. It's important to note that these cut angles ignore throw.

Overlap (Fullness) -- Cut Angle

• 1 (straight on) -- 0°
    7/8 -- 7.2°
    3/4 -- 14.5°
    5/8 -- 22.0°
    1/2 -- 30°
    3/8 -- 38.7°
    1/4 -- 48.6°
    1/8 -- 61°
    0 -- 90°

PoppaSaun

Banned
Using 'IMO' as often as you do shows insecurity.

We already know it is your opinion. You wrote it, so it is obviously your opinion.

When someone prefaces or ends a thought with IMO, I dismiss 90% of he says. He only writes that because he can't back up his statement and is deathly afraid of someone arguing with him.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

We already know it is your opinion. You wrote it, so it is obviously your opinion.

When someone prefaces or ends a thought with IMO, I dismiss 90% of he says. He only writes that because he can't back up his statement and is deathly afraid of someone arguing with himIMO.

It's also a form of courtesy, implying that other opinions are welcome.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When someone prefaces or ends a thought with IMO, I dismiss 90% of he says. He only writes that because he can't back up his statement and is deathly afraid of someone arguing with him.

It's also a form of insecurity when a person greatly exaggerates something in order to prove their point.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....when you start to see that half ball angle all over, you can avoid scratches and kisses,
or get break outs.[/QUOTE]

I have seen this referenced before, I wonder why you want to scratch off the black?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
or get break outs.

I have seen this referenced before, I wonder why you want to scratch off the black?[/QUOTE]

The black spot on a 6x12 was the red-ball spot at English billiards...that game predates
snooker.......a red and two cue balls at that ......there were three ways of scoring....
...make a carom, make the red, or go in-off either ball..( called a losing hazard)....
....so that half ball angle was important for the cue ball also.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
The cut angles do not increase linearly as the overlap decreases, but your approximation of 7.5° per eighth of overlap works fine out to the half-ball aim.

Here are the cut angles to a little more precision for each eighth of overlap or fullness. It's important to note that these cut angles ignore throw.

Overlap (Fullness) -- Cut Angle

• 1 (straight on) -- 0°
    7/8 -- 7.2°
    3/4 -- 14.5°
    5/8 -- 22.0°
    1/2 -- 30°
    3/8 -- 38.7°
    1/4 -- 48.6°
    1/8 -- 61°
    0 -- 90°

AtLarge...
What I meant by linear was the horizontal line bisected by the 5 vertical aim lines.
I didn't mean the cut angles increase linearly. If vertical lines follow the contour of
the ball they wouldn't be equally spaced.. (like longitudinal lines on a world globe)
and would be increasing narrower from center to edge. Think of a flat disk instead
of a sphere, with evenly spaced lines, or 5 vertical aim points on a pencil glued to
the front of the OB. CCB aim at the 5 points would be OB overlaps center to edge.

I know 1/4 ball isn't exactly 15*.. If someone put both arms up, one at 15* and the
other at 14.5*, I doubt if I could tell... 0, 15 & 30 are just easy to remember. IMO :)

Thanks for 1/8 ball overlap angles increasing wider than 8 degrees after 30*.. Carl

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AtLarge...
What I meant by linear was the horizontal line bisected by the 5 vertical aim lines.
I didn't mean the cut angles increase linearly. If vertical lines follow the contour of
the ball they wouldn't be equally spaced.. (like longitudinal lines on a world globe)
and would be increasing narrower from center to edge. Think of a flat disk instead
of a sphere, with evenly spaced lines, or 5 vertical aim points on a pencil glued to
the front of the OB. CCB aim at the 5 points would be OB overlaps center to edge.

I know 1/4 ball isn't exactly 15*.. If someone put both arms up, one at 15* and the
other at 14.5*, I doubt if I could tell... 0, 15 & 30 are just easy to remember. IMO :)

Thanks for 1/8 ball overlap angles increasing wider than 8 degrees after 30*.. Carl

Yes, I understood what you meant. My comment about non-linearity was referring to your use of the equally spaced angles of 7.5, 15, 22.5, and 30, not to the spacing of the vertical aim lines. I know you just use the multiples of 7.5 as "close enough" out to the half-ball aim; I agree. For anyone interested, I just listed the cut angles with a little more precision.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Something about pool that you could read on a rainy day.

- http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard/pool-dogma -

Caution:- What you read on the pool dogma page is IMO

When someone prefaces or ends a thought with IMO, I dismiss 90% of what he says. He only writes that because he can't back up his statement and is deathly afraid of someone arguing with him.

I hope you don't work at the US Patent office. Patents or copyrights mostly belong to IMO folks.
If you dismissed 90% of what I'd written, I hope you find something of interest in the other 10%. IMO

Last edited: