Jointed Cue lawsuit guy indicted for Tax Fraud

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Nice. I remember reading about that a while back and it got me all agitated.

I hate people like that. Using the ‘system’, laws and loopholes and technicalities...I’d like to meet up with that guy during the apocalypse :)

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brings back memories...

I fondly remember the Father's Day Tournament day there and there memorable kitchen
where you get a nice meal. Also, you could meet ol buddies from all over the country in town for one of their classic events. I could write a list of names from here to next tuesday
of high caliber players not to mention infamous stake horses as well. For those that were there you know how nice the ladies were I will say no more.:grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been to a few rooms in Philly that were on the second floor and there was absolutely no elevator. Is a business like that not allowed now? This was not too long ago, in the 90’s.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been to a few rooms in Philly that were on the second floor and there was absolutely no elevator. Is a business like that not allowed now? This was not too long ago, in the 90’s.

Lifts aren't required unless you're a large business with hundreds of employees. It's smaller changes, like widening doors, providing surfaces of different heights so people can eat food in a wheelchair, having a feasible arrangement for emergency evacuation and providing a toilet cubicle with grip rails and wide enough for someone to transfer themselves onto the toilet from a chair without having to be carried. There is a proviso that adaptations need to be readily achievable, including in terms of practicality and affordability, so the law really shouldn't allow for someone to go out of business if they can't afford what is being asked for. As with all laws however, there's going to be times when regulators get it wrong. This chump filed over 2000 lawsuits, the majority of which didn't succeed....but a few did, and it was more the legal costs and compensation than the cost of adaptations which hit the businesses badly.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Johnson, the serial lawsuit guy that put the Jointed Cue out of
business, is being sued by the IRS for Tax Fraud. This is the POS who
filed over 3000 lawsuits for disabled access 'violations'... these are
known as 'nuisance' lawsuits, basically to get 'go away' money.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/05/23/attorney-scott-johnson-ada-lawsuit-tax-fraud/

LMAO!! There was a turd here in Austin that operated this way and he eventually got caught up in some BS that put him out of business.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy deserves the fate he will receive but there are billionaires doing far more damage with their hedge funds.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. I remember that f-tard. Glad it’s coming back around to him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a quack lawyer running a scam like this all up and down the West Coast years ago. He was targeting businesses (mostly bars) that gave "specials" and freebies to women on certain nights of the week, calling it discrimination against men.

He had a crew of guys who would patronize the business and save their receipts. Then they would sue, saying that they had to pay for food, drinks or services that women were getting for free or at discount prices. They got me for offering free pool to women on Monday night (ladies night I called it). Four guys came on on four separate occasions and paid for food and pool and saved all their receipts. They sued me for $4,000 each on all four occasions for a total of $64,000! Kind of took me off guard with this one.

I talked to my attorney who contacted the scum bag in charge and they set up an Arbitration hearing where he offered to settle for $16,000, a pretty big hit. My attorney said it would cost me $5-6,000 to fight him in court and we might win and we might lose. I opted to fight.

My attorney did his homework and made the four dupes look like fools on the stand. They couldn't remember what kind of pizza they had or on which trip they ordered it, or when they played pool and when they didn't. Then he hit the judge (it was a judge trial) with a zinger, when he introduced evidence of this lawyers scamming all over California and the West Coast, hundreds of cases that usually ended in a settlement.

It was a one day trial, and the judge deliberated for a couple of hours before coming back with his decision. He found in our favor and made the scum sucker pay all court costs. He really berated this guy in his decision. It had cost me $6,000 but it was worth it to see this guy squirm.

After this decision the guy was forced out of business, with other head judges being notified of his pattern of behavior. I told the entire story in Pool Wars.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a quack lawyer running a scam like this all up and down the West Coast years ago. He was targeting businesses (mostly bars) that gave "specials" and freebies to women on certain nights of the week, calling it discrimination against men.

He had a crew of guys who would patronize the business and save their receipts. Then they would sue, saying that they had to pay for food, drinks or services that women were getting for free or at discount prices. They got me for offering free pool to women on Monday night (ladies night I called it). Four guys came on on four separate occasions and paid for food and pool and saved all their receipts. They sued me for $4,000 each on all four occasions for a total of $64,000! Kind of took me off guard with this one.

I talked to my attorney who contacted the scum bag in charge and they set up an Arbitration hearing where he offered to settle for $16,000, a pretty big hit. My attorney said it would cost me $5-6,000 to fight him in court and we might win and we might lose. I opted to fight.

My attorney did his homework and made the four dupes look like fools on the stand. They couldn't remember what kind of pizza they had or on which trip they ordered it, or when they played pool and when they didn't. Then he hit the judge (it was a judge trial) with a zinger, when he introduced evidence of this lawyers scamming all over California and the West Coast, hundreds of cases that usually ended in a settlement.

It was a one day trial, and the judge deliberated for a couple of hours before coming back with his decision. He found in our favor and made the scum sucker pay all court costs. He really berated this guy in his decision. It had cost me $6,000 but it was worth it to see this guy squirm.

After this decision the guy was forced out of business, with other head judges being notified of his pattern of behavior. I told the entire story in Pool Wars.

I would have been even better if you had counter sued and he settled out of court.