my ongoing saga of achieving a decent 9 ball break

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mud have been doing something right to run 22 balls in one inning after switching to the magic rack.my own carelessness for missing one who to prevent running a 2 pack.

Hm is math off here somewhere, 22 balls run in one inning would be more than 2 racks, 2 full racks 1-9 is 18 balls. You would have needed to run two racks and another 4 to get 22 in a row.

And yes magic rack break on a 7 footer would give you some nice layouts to run racks, just keep in mind breaks on larger and tougher tables would go differently and would need adjusting. The point people are making is not to worry about what type of cue you use to break. I don't know about the others, but even when I go to pretty major tournaments I don't worry about my break cue, past the fact it's a break/jump. If I was in a place that did not allow jumping I would not think about the break cue at all, would just use a house cue.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hm is math off here somewhere, 22 balls run in one inning would be more than 2 racks, 2 full racks 1-9 is 18 balls. You would have needed to run two racks and another 4 to get 22 in a row.

And yes magic rack break on a 7 footer would give you some nice layouts to run racks, just keep in mind breaks on larger and tougher tables would go differently and would need adjusting. The point people are making is not to worry about what type of cue you use to break. I don't know about the others, but even when I go to pretty major tournaments I don't worry about my break cue, past the fact it's a break/jump. If I was in a place that did not allow jumping I would not think about the break cue at all, would just use a house cue.

Read my previous post to the one you quoted.. I did indeed break a 3rd rack and run to my required points.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing a 9 ball session, we just could NOT get a tight rack, balls
breaking bad. The room had those cheap plastic racks.. when you
went to cinch the balls in the rack, the whole triangle flexed.
The house had an old school oak wood triangle with the metal
glides.. first rack, super tight, boom.. wing ball goes, the rest
spread out great. So IMO a tight rack is #1, and hit the 1 ball
FULL. :thumbup:

vinay

Registered
I have had my own struggles with the break and still do, but i think the 'aim' may be different with the break. Try set your aim and then make sure you are looking at the cue ball
and not the 1, when you strike. You want to hit the cueball dead centre. Have a relaxed grip like you would with any other shot. Practice practice practice.

I agree, you need a different technique than regular shots, but my point was you need as much care as you do with other shots. I see a lot of people just wind up and focus more speed than aim.

I see the argument for looking at the cue ball, but I still prefer to keep my eye on the 1-ball, once I've lined myself up and taken a couple of practice strokes because I want to see how the cue ball strikes the 1-ball and there just isn't enough time to shift focus after you strike the cue ball.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Read my previous post to the one you quoted.. I did indeed break a 3rd rack and run to my required points.

You also should have mentioned that the 9-ball counts as two points. That said, you would have still needed a couple of balls in the third rack.

Maniac

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was not talking about points, which is only a league thing, but number of balls ran. League scores and handicaps are their own thing, what happens in league scores or matches not not often have much to do with the real world of just running out a rack to win.

Running "22 balls in one inning" should mean you ran 22 balls without leaving the table or have your opponent get to the table, which would be 2 break and runs followed by a break and making 4 more balls. An inning is one turn at the table correct? If you missed in the second rack, that would end your inning.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not talking about points, which is only a league thing, but number of balls ran. League scores and handicaps are their own thing, what happens in league scores or matches not not often have much to do with the real world of just running out a rack to win.

Running "22 balls in one inning" should mean you ran 22 balls without leaving the table or have your opponent get to the table, which would be 2 break and runs followed by a break and making 4 more balls. An inning is one turn at the table correct? If you missed in the second rack, that would end your inning.

In apa an the end of an inning occurs when the second shooter leaves the table . In the match mentioned I was the first shooter so the inning is not over until after my opponent shoots and leaves the table.

When we switched to the magic rack I broke and ran 7 balls....missed the 8. My opponent shot and missed the 8. That is one inning. He never shot again the rest od the match and thus it counts as one inning. I hope that clears up the confusion. . Yea I know some times I could probably do a better job of describing the situation lol.

Edited to add I won the lag and was the first shooter. An inning is not marked until after the second shooter completes his turn at the table and . This continues throughout the match and thus innings are only marked after the second shooter completes his turn.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In apa an the end of an inning occurs when the second shooter leaves the table . In the match mentioned I was the first shooter so the inning is not over until after my opponent shoots and leaves the table.

When we switched to the magic rack I broke and ran 7 balls....missed the 8. My opponent shot and missed the 8. That is one inning. He never shot again the rest od the match and thus it counts as one inning. I hope that clears up the confusion. . Yea I know some times I could probably do a better job of describing the situation lol.

Edited to add I won the lag and was the first shooter. An inning is not marked until after the second shooter completes his turn at the table and . This continues throughout the match and thus innings are only marked after the second shooter completes his turn.

I still don't get that, you went first that is one inning. He got the table but missed, so when you shot again that is your second inning at the table and the third in the game. Not sure how that can be one inning in APA or not since you were at the table then your opponent was at the table then you were at the table. APA logic there confuses me. If someone shoots but misses that is not an "inning"?

If you were to count "innings" in real pool, not league scoring, to say you ran 22 balls balls in one inning would mean you ran two racks and then some without anyone else shooting. Points or whatever league stuff does is different from how normal pool games are. It's like that thing in Kingpin when he said he bowled some high score, but then when asked about it he said "we count the score in two tries" LOL

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't get that, you went first that is one inning. He got the table but missed, so when you shot again that is your second inning at the table and the third in the game. Not sure how that can be one inning in APA or not since you were at the table then your opponent was at the table then you were at the table. APA logic there confuses me. If someone shoots but misses that is not an "inning"?

If you were to count "innings" in real pool, not league scoring, to say you ran 22 balls balls in one inning would mean you ran two racks and then some without anyone else shooting. Points or whatever league stuff does is different from how normal pool games are. It's like that thing in Kingpin when he said he bowled some high score, but then when asked about it he said "we count the score in two tries" LOL

I understand what you are saying. I guess for simplicities sake on scoresheets apa defines an inning over after the second shooter leaves the table instead of the first shooter.

Lets use this example....actually the 6th rack if this match. I broke and ran 7 balls. My opponent shot and missed . And I ran the table. By your view I shot twice and therefore 2 innings and its still my shot to begin the next inning. My opponent shot once. What do you mark for him ?

Lets say the next rack has the same exact scenario. I shoot ....my opponent shoots and then I close out the rack.

So in essence by your view I played 2 racks in 4 innings and my opponent had 2 innings. That does not work. You are also assuming I am starting an inning when I broke which is untrue. I won the previous rack and my inning is not over until my opponent shoots .

In reality I started the inning. My opponent shoots once . I finish the match and my opponent never gets back to the table so it went 1 inning. Or do you count the end of the match as the end of another inning ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I understand what you are saying. I guess for simplicities sake on scoresheets apa defines an inning over after the second shooter leaves the table instead of the first shooter.

Lets use this example....actually the 6th rack if this match. I broke and ran 7 balls. My opponent shot and missed . And I ran the table. By your view I shot twice and therefore 2 innings and its still my shot to begin the next inning. My opponent shot once. What do you mark for him ?

Lets say the next rack has the same exact scenario. I shoot ....my opponent shoots and then I close out the rack.

So in essence by your view I played 2 racks in 4 innings and my opponent had 2 innings. That does not work. You are also assuming I am starting an inning when I broke which is untrue. I won the previous rack and my inning is not over until my opponent shoots .

In reality I started the inning. My opponent shoots once . I finish the match and my opponent never gets back to the table so it went 1 inning. Or do you count the end of the match as the end of another inning ?

As yet another example, liken it to a baseball game. It is not yet an inning until both teams have batted.

You're welcome. :thumbup:

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As yet another example, liken it to a baseball game. It is not yet an inning until both teams have batted.

You're welcome. :thumbup:

Maniac

I was multi tasking and my last post probably confused him even more.lol.

He is correct that i did not run 22 balls in one trip to the table. My statement is correct according to how we score 9 ball.

Begin with the magic rack..

Scoresheet will show me 10 points...that's 9 balls. Opponent 0 and 1 inning.

Next rack will show me 10 points ...again 9 balls. Opponent 0 and 0 innings b& r

Next rack will show me 4 points...that's 4 balls ....opponent 0 and 0 innings.

So that is a total of 22 balls in 1 inning according to the scoresheet. The last inning was never completed before the match was stopped and therefore not marked on the scoresheet. Hope that clears things up hang.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Break Shot.

I haven't tried it. It's a little pricey but.....
I think the "Break Rack" was / is a great product.
https://breakrak.com/

Well, here is the TRUTH, a Break Cue won't teach you anything. But a Training Aid, that has been around for 19 years, can & is guaranteed to please you or your money back. We have many, many BreakRAKs out there, that are 19 years old & still doing well for someone. If you happen to break it, we repair it at no charge.

It's about repetition in any physical action (s) you are trying to learn.. The more methodical repetitions in structured sessions, the more skill you will have.

Good Luck...