Reload this Page pool's greatest might-have-beens
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Michael Coltrain
Old
  (#76)
axejunkie
AzB Silver Member

axejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Michael Coltrain - 06-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Watched a match tonight with Coltrain playing Steve Knight from the 2000 World Championship. He was certainly a talent. Sadly I could see his shoulder shaking heavily on a few shots. He had a very pretty stroke.

"I see the blind lead the blind
In the search for the mind
But I know what they'll find"

Old
  (#77)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

06-21-2019, 10:42 PM

Dead money was on the come up until his real world life responsibilities got in the way

Old
  (#78)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-22-2019, 01:55 AM

Yang. Enuff said.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
Super Strong match against 10-Ball Ghost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6okbwLetu4&t=

My 1st Post
Old
  (#79)
Tom Cruise
AzB Bronze Member
Tom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond repute

Post My 1st Post - 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Been reading for the last 8 months trying to figure out how to play this game again. Thanks for all the info guys. I've actually started read enough to know who some of you are.

In '86, The Color of Money changed everything for me. My buddies and I switched out from Ping-Pong and all went heavy into pool. I was the worst. Couldn't beat an egg.

One day I picked up my buddy Ted for school and showed up early as usual to take a few shots on his table downstairs. A lightning bolt struck, and I realized I was a lefty in pool. Righty in everything else.

The tear I went on may have altered the mental well being of a lot of guys how thought that they were just "better" than me, and it helped my wallet.

Some months later, I played 3 time RI State Champ Ed Gregory (RIP) during his 24 hour charity match at the Holiday Inn lobby in downtown Providence. I watched him clean everyone's clock for 90 minutes before I was up. 5 bucks to charity to play him. After 1 or 2 smartly played 2-way shots leaving him not much, I beat him in a game of 8 ball on the 8 footer they had put in the lobby for the event. I remember him talking to a guy the whole game so I may not have had his full focus, until the end when I noticed he stopped focusing on the guy he was talking to when he realized I had him, and I ran out.

Ted and I started to play a lot. The other guys faded. We were the two best 18 & under shots in New England. We would roll up to the hustler's convention on Friday nights at Boston Bowl at midnight. Some guy named Rich who was absolutely sick at caroming the 9 gave me an early lesson there. Not fun. But after beating some carpet installers for some solid coin, I went on a good run. I even hustled a coked-up Hustler named Tony who thought he was hustling me That's where I watched Shorty Johnson (RIP) play our other local top dawg, John Fernandes for $1000 sets. I'm pretty sure Shorty was giving him the 8 but can't attest.

Anyway, my RI Billiards nickname became Tom Cruise, because of a leather flight jacket I wore (beat my buddy for $ and he paid me with the jacket). I never did win the Tue night 9 ball tourney there, with Fernandes and a few other top amateurs there every week, but the following winter a scored a major bar box title at Copperfield's, beating Fernandes, and every tough customer along the way. I honestly don't remember missing that whole night. Sadly, the very same night, somebody stole the flight jacket off my chair while I was playing.

Weeks later, at a tourney in West Warwick I told my dad that I intended to quit college, just in my Freshman year to try and become a pro. We had a nice, civil convo about it. He said "Pool is always going to be there" and I stayed in school. That spring I went back to the college tennis team I had been on in the fall, and that was it really. Tennis took over and although I kept my 7 footer at my Dad's house through my college years , I basically quit going to big time pool halls and playing on 9 footers. I continued to abuse the general public on bar boxes back in RI through the early 90's, winning Charlie O's for 5 weeks straight and a bunch of other little tourneys,until I moved to Hawaii in 93. Most night's at Dave's Tap in Warwick I played all night without losing. I don't think I lost a single game at the URI student union in my 5 years of college (LOL x2).

I tried coming back a couple of times but it didn't stick. I was actually pretty bad on 9 footers. There were a few nights either at a house or bar over the years the old stuff came back. I probably only played 30 times over the 25 years. Until last October.

Now a tennis pro in Northern California, I practice on my Golden West 9 footer when I have enough energy after a day on the courts. I've been using the boards and videos to figure out everything I missed, forgot, and never knew. (Like WTH is a tangent line, LOL).

My tennis career never really panned out never earning an ATP ranking (although I've got my highest ranking at #126 in the USA). My Dad was right, pool is there for me. Not the way I maybe could've had it, but it's a great thing for me to come back to. I've won some low level tourneys since coming back, but I'm no threat to put a 5 pack together. The cloth is way faster now, my old D-9 warped and I'm still bouncing between shafts and a Peaschauer (?) I bought, and TBH I'm only starting to remember how to really play this game. I forgot!

I can't say I am anywhere near what some of the guys mentioned in this thread were, but I thought I'd write this post, share it with my dad who turns 80 this weekend and introduce myself to the forum.

The Color of Money changed everything for me and I can attest that having skill at pool is a sign of a misspent youth. I didn't have the screws put to me and I didn't get in with the wrong kind of people, and I have my dad to thank for it, but after 25 years, "I'm back". To Pete the Accountant, thanks for the nickname you gave me back then, Tom Cruise...

Oh yeah, and to whoever stole the jacket.... I forgive you! (Oh yeah, I found God along the way too)

Name:  table.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  184.4 KB

Old
  (#80)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Nice post Tom C.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#81)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 03:42 PM

Well, TC, you probably currently rank #1 on the AzB forums in average number of words per post.

More seriously, welcome aboard. Sounds like you may be somewhere around age 50, so you've still got plenty of time to get your pool skills back to where they were decades ago (or even better).

Old
  (#82)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2019, 04:17 PM

to mikemosconi and tom c (welcome!),

I actually got inspired to post this thread after thinking about how tennis has changed over time..
gear allowing guys to play differently, changes in court conditions, knowledge of mind, body, etc.

many great replies in this thread, thanks all for shouting back-

peace & love

Old
  (#83)
kkdanamatt
AzB Gold Member
kkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond reputekkdanamatt has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2019, 06:15 AM

I'm surprised that Sammy Guzman's name hasn't appeared here.
Sammy won the World Junior Championship in '82 or '83.
I think he was 16 at the time.
Sammy was a fearless left-handed 9-Ball player with a power break and devastating stroke.
Sammy was the leader of the young NYC 3-pack: Sammy, Tony Robles, and Frankie Hernandez.
He had a lot of swagger and charisma for such a young guy.
At the West End in NJ, he would match up with Jack Colavita, Mizerak, Sammy Jones, etc.

Sammy Guzman was murdered when he was in his early twenties.

Last edited by kkdanamatt; 06-27-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Old
  (#84)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

06-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdanamatt View Post
I'm surprised that Sammy Guzman's name hasn't appeared here.
Sammy won the World Junior Championship in '82 or '83.
I think he was 16 at the time.
Sammy was a fearless left-handed 9-Ball player with a power break and devastating stroke.
Sammy was the leader of the young NYC 3-pack: Sammy, Tony Robles, and Frankie Hernandez.
He had a lot of swagger and charisma for such a young guy.
At the West End in NJ, he would match up with Jack Colavita, Mizerak, Sammy Jones, etc.

Sammy Guzman was murdered when he was in his early twenties.
Yeah, I played against Sammy Guzman many times at the Golden Q in Queens, NY and he was a tremendous talent. I remember that he took Mike Sigel to the double hill in the big Atlantic City 9-ball event in the mid-1980's at Resorts International Hotel. When he was at his highest level, we tended to break even when Sammy gave me the wild six.

Sad story for sure.

Old
  (#85)
Chairman
AzB Silver Member
Chairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond reputeChairman has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spktur View Post
Yes Chan was a lost talent who went way too young

Wow - thereís a name and pic that took me right back to my younger days. I always wondered what happened to him, had no clue he died young.

I had the pleasure of drawing Chan first round in a junior 9-ball tourney at the Cue Corner (Pete Zsinklerís (sp?) room in Downingtown, PA) years back.

We lagged, he won, I racked, he ran the next 4 racks. Missed once in game 5, left me hung with no shot, I missed, he ran out and finished the next 4 racks without a miss. So, lost a quick 9-0.

It was a wonder to watch and great racking practice for me though...

Old
  (#86)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Who is Jack Hines?
JH could really play but he was a COLOSSAL a-hole. He spent some time here in Tulsa yrs. back and everyone was glad when he left. Could NOT play a match without some lame-ass drama. Oh, treacherous bite-artist to boot.

Old
  (#87)
Welder84
AzB Silver Member
Welder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond reputeWelder84 has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Jason Hill from Maryland could have been a great champion. He beat many top amateur players at 12 years of age. He played great till his later teen years when the pool room life caught up to him. I hear he is still around somewhere.

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: