Disappointing gesture from Shane

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching an action match last night at Griff's between Eklent Kaci and Warren Kiamco and both players cleaned their tips on the carpet before putting cues in their cases :shocked2:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's history: Cordon it off and put up a plaque, or cut out the swatch and sell it on ebay.

I actually think a collection of these signed and dated pieces of carpet would be novel and cool.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Somebody does this in my room, I'm gonna speak to them. Probably give them the steam cleaner. Don't care who they are it is disrespectful.

Ive never heard or seen this done, but sounds pretty trashy imo

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is at Griff's now practicing :)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 158

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Honestly, in some pool rooms in Chicago, I really don't like their carpet touching the bottom of my shoes, so i'm certainly not going to rub my tip on that puked stained carpet :)

But, it's not a big deal for SVB to do something pool player have been doing for 100 years. I"ve yet to see a sign to tell folks to stop it. As long as he doesn't put his beer on the table, he's good to go.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, in some pool rooms in Chicago, I really don't like their carpet touching the bottom of my shoes, so i'm certainly not going to rub my tip on that puked stained carpet :)

But, it's not a big deal for SVB to do something pool player have been doing for 100 years. I"ve yet to see a sign to tell folks to stop it. As long as he doesn't put his beer on the table, he's good to go.

geez, I guess we’ve come to a new low point if we all need a sign on the wall to tell us what is right or wrong.

Of course if momma and poppa didn’t teach you all that, or you can’t figure it out on your own, a sign might be needed.

Lou Figueroa

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
There are some really great people posting in this thread.

People that would NEVER litter, or spit gum into a urinal, leave a motel room looking like shit or do anything that could be even remotely considered socially unacceptable. They all use their turn indicators. Never speed on the highways. Never cut line at a store. They always stop and help those less fortunate in their daily quest to be great human beings.

I commend all of you fine upstanding people who sit on your thrones of greatness, while judging someone wiping chalk onto a carpet that gets cleaned easily with a vacuum cleaner nightly.

Cheers!

:duck:

Most realistic reply so far.

Do all of you who think wiping your tip on the floor is disrespectful chalk your cue over a garbage can? Much more chalk ends up on the floor from chalking your cue all night than wiping it on the floor one time.
I know, if you wouldnt do it in someones home you shouldnt do it in a commercial establishment. Do you take your shoes off when you walk into a commercial establishment? I am guessing not but yet you think nothing of that. What about if its snowing out, take you shoes off then? I always take my shoes off at home or anyone elses home for that matter but not at commercial establishments, I must be disrespectful. As far as Shanes action holding pool back in the US how did baseball ever get and stay popular with players gobbing and spitting all over or constantly grabbing their junk?? Even the networks dont bleep out these acts, what is this world coming to?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do all of you who think wiping your tip on the floor is disrespectful chalk your cue over a garbage can? Much more chalk ends up on the floor from chalking your cue all night than wiping it on the floor one time.
Get outta here with your logic.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Lol it’s not the chalk getting on the floor that’s the minor problem, it’s the gesture...I’m wiping my shit off on your carpet. Not a huge deal but it’s slightly disrespectful in general. Any adult who doesn’t feel that way already never will.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the major issue is if chalk gets inside your case -being an abrasive substance- it has the potential to cause micro-abrasions to your cue's finish. Over time, this might make it look dull.

????!!!!! Been playing pool for over 65 years, and have never wiped off my tip before putting away a cue, or ever saw anyone else do it. I usually have other things on my mind when unscrewing (like how much money I lost).
Yes, a very small amount of chalk accumulates in my case, and every few years I might be inspired to wipe it off.
Most all of us have picked up bad habits over the years, the importance of which only becomes obvious in retrospect, and are usually related to the environment/situation that existed originally. Likely, Shane grew up playing in a room where one more carpet stain would never be noticed.
If (for example), you hung out when young in a honkytonk where the floor was always covered with peanut shells & cigarettes butts, you likely tend to be less anxious later in life when you can’t locate an ashtray or coaster. Doesn’t mean we can’t improve our manners, it’s just that some habits are more ingrained than others.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol it’s not the chalk getting on the floor that’s the minor problem, it’s the gesture...I’m wiping my shit off on your carpet. Not a huge deal but it’s slightly disrespectful in general. Any adult who doesn’t feel that way already never will.

oh me god.

Staying with this whole thread and finally seeing the central point being summed up so nicely.

Lou Figueroa

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can anyone draw an analogy between just walking on carpeting and intentionally wiping a dirty cue tip on carpeting?
If a comparison were to be made a more accurate description would be intentionally wiping your dirty shoes on carpeting instead of wiping them on a doormat or floor mat made for such things.
Of course your shoes are somewhat dirty but walking on carpeting is generally tolerated where deliberately wiping dirty shoes on carpeting to remove excess dirt is absolutely not only disrespectful but ignorant.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can anyone draw an analogy between just walking on carpeting and intentionally wiping a dirty cue tip on carpeting?
If a comparison were to be made a more accurate description would be intentionally wiping your dirty shoes on carpeting instead of wiping them on a doormat or floor mat made for such things.
Of course your shoes are somewhat dirty but walking on carpeting is generally tolerated where deliberately wiping dirty shoes on carpeting to remove excess dirt is absolutely not only disrespectful but ignorant.

You don't get it, you don't get it.

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most realistic reply so far.

I know, if you wouldnt do it in someones home you shouldnt do it in a commercial establishment. Do you take your shoes off when you walk into a commercial establishment? I am guessing not but yet you think nothing of that. What about if its snowing out, take you shoes off then? I always take my shoes off at home or anyone elses home for that matter but not at commercial establishments, I must be disrespectful. As far as Shanes action holding pool back in the US how did baseball ever get and stay popular with players gobbing and spitting all over or constantly grabbing their junk?? Even the networks dont bleep out these acts, what is this world coming to?
All you have to do is chalk your cue over a white piece of paper several times and you will be surprised how much chalk ends up on the floor , heck Ive seen many chalk their cue and blow off the excess chalk , dam them what are they thinking dirty rotten slobs ,

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh me god.

Staying with this whole thread and finally seeing the central point being summed up so nicely.

Lou Figueroa

You don't get it, you don't get it.

Lou Figueroa

What you're not getting is that its only disrespectful in a minority of peoples minds, and you are blowing it out of proportion.

If the intent was to damage property, yes I would call it disrespectful. No different than graffiti or any other vandalism.

Its not intended to be anything other than wiping chalk off, something that cleans up easily when the vacuum cleaner is ran.

Could they use a napkin etc? Sure, but its not a big issue unless you are looking for something to feel somehow morally superior and complain about.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty funny that the same people who glorify things like illegal gambling and obnoxious woofing are getting their knickers twisted up over this.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you're not getting is that its only disrespectful in a minority of peoples minds, and you are blowing it out of proportion.

If the intent was to damage property, yes I would call it disrespectful. No different than graffiti or any other vandalism.

Its not intended to be anything other than wiping chalk off, something that cleans up easily when the vacuum cleaner is ran.

Could they use a napkin etc? Sure, but its not a big issue unless you are looking for something to feel somehow morally superior and complain about.

I said it was not a biggie.

But still wrong.

Lou Figueroa