Advice to players who are resetting mutiple times?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What advice would you give to a player who is often up and down on their shots? The same regarding 30+ practice strokes?
Would you ask them about negative thoughts and their subconcious mind?

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes this is purely a mental thing, but sometimes it's compounded by weak fundamentals. That is, their setup is flawed or inconsistent and it takes them a lot of effort to establish their cue’s line to where they feel they are actually going to stroke straight. If you have strong fundamentals, you should be able to get down and immediately one-stroke the ball as straight as if you'd gone through the full PSR. Warm-up strokes and any minor stance adjustments should ideally be used to visualize and refine your speed and spin, not your basic aiming line. They just need to learn to walk into the shot, set themselves in a solid repeatable stance, and know that they're on target. Doing the dance of uncertainty for more than 15 seconds should be instant ball in hand.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes this is purely a mental thing, but sometimes it's compounded by weak fundamentals. That is, their setup is flawed or inconsistent and it takes them a lot of effort to establish their cue’s line to where they feel they are actually going to stroke straight. If you have strong fundamentals, you should be able to get down and immediately one-stroke the ball as straight as if you'd gone through the full PSR. Warm-up strokes and any minor stance adjustments should ideally be used to visualize and refine your speed and spin, not your basic aiming line. They just need to learn to walk into the shot, set themselves in a solid repeatable stance, and know that they're on target. Doing the dance of uncertainty for more than 15 seconds should be instant ball in hand.

Judging by your username I'm not exactly sure of what kind of instructor you are;)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you could try the shock treatment. What do I mean by that, you ask?

Here's an example of a shock treatment:

You: So, you don't compete, right?

Them: What?? Why do you ask that?

You: Well, if you played in a tournament and kept getting up and down that many times and took that many practice strokes, you'd cause a huge backlog in matches and make the entire tournament wait for you. People don't really like when that happens.

Them: Nobody ever said anything to me about that.

You: Oh well, then consider yourself lucky. You should probably fix that before people start labeling you as a problem player. Then you'll get a reputation as a slow player and nobody will want to play you, even practice. It's a bummer when that happens.

Them: But I can't change the way I am.

You: That's okay. Just don't compete and play alone, and you'll be fine.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
you are a master instructor
dont you have some more helpfull advice for the op???
just askin

OK! I would set down with them and explain the "Shooting Mantra" and the 8-10 second rule.

Alphadog is a friend.

randyg

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
To add to Randy's advice, you may have a problem with your initial approach to your shot, alignment issues, or not thinking through your shot first. There are only 3 things you need to think about, Angle, Speed, and Spin. Once you determine those three things, there's nothing left to think about. Find your line, get in position, verify your tip position on the cb with two or three warm ups, then shoot.
Steve

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you all think I was joking but I'm not. That type of habit is very deep rooted in insecurity. You can't change a person's personality. You can sometimes shock them into realizing that their behavior is detrimental to others. That might be the only way to get them to stop.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I know you all think I was joking but I'm not. That type of habit is very deep rooted in insecurity. You can't change a person's personality. You can sometimes shock them into realizing that their behavior is detrimental to others. That might be the only way to get them to stop.

Fran. I agree. That kind of insecurity comes from not knowing what to do, or how to do it. Some basic training in fundamentals and aiming could go a long way toward correcting the problem. And it is irritating to your opponent.
Steve

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What advice would you give to a player who is often up and down on their shots? The same regarding 30+ practice strokes?

Not an instructor, but the player you're describing would seem to have setup problems, and would not
have confidence in his aiming. He would constantly be trying to reposition, in order to line up the shot.

The 1st thing I look for is a locked back leg. With a bent rear knee, it's hard just to keep a solid stance.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some good replies here.

I am really asking about "pro" players. I cant believe

all the airstroking,excessive number of practice strokes,

and up and down resetting? I just have to believe you cant

be wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,and then

right,and not have all those "wrongs" weigh on you.

P.S. I should reset sometimes and know I should! I probably miss because I expect to miss.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Variety being a spice of life, try getting down once and shooting, no practice strokes.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would you ask them about negative thoughts and their subconscious mind?

If they didn't ask for my advice, I'd keep my mouth shut.

On the other hand, if their tempo really bothered me and I more or less had to play them, I'd propose a clock.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really asking about "pro" players. I cant believe

all the airstroking,excessive number of practice strokes,

and up and down resetting? I just have to believe you cant

be wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,wrong,and then

right,and not have all those "wrongs" weigh on you.

What "pros" are you talking about? There aren't many noticeably slow pro players.

Now, there may be some short-stops who get into a match against an impatient shooter like Jayson or Earl and intentionally try to get under their skin with annoying antics, taking their sweet time, walking around the table between multiple resets. That's something you have to selectively employ though against someone it will drive bananas, if you're trying to shark people with that just in general you are probably hopeless to begin with.

What "pros" are you talking about? There aren't many noticeably slow pro players.

Now, there may be some short-stops who get into a match against an impatient shooter like Jayson or Earl and intentionally try to get under their skin with annoying antics, taking their sweet time, walking around the table between multiple resets. That's something you have to selectively employ though against someone it will drive bananas, if you're trying to shark people with that just in general you are probably hopeless to begin with.

You're kidding? Pros do this get down, get up routine constantly. It's pathetic.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, once in a while a pro will miss position, and especially on the TV table they'll make sure they get up and down a few times long after they already made up their mind just so everybody knows they're not happy with the shot they're on so if it goes wrong nobody thinks they just missed.... Is that what you're talking about?

I can't think of anybody who regularly places high in the money who delays at the table, so start naming names... Corey maybe...

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, once in a while a pro will miss position, and especially on the TV table they'll make sure they get up and down a few times long after they already made up their mind just so everybody knows they're not happy with the shot they're on so if it goes wrong nobody thinks they just missed.... Is that what you're talking about?

I can't think of anybody who regularly places high in the money who delays at the table, so start naming names... Corey maybe...

It would be easier to list the ones who dont:rolleyes:

Check out Justin,or Rafeal.