Can't find the video of Deuel vs Immonen

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm looking for the video of the US Open (I believe) when Corey Deuel beat Mika Immonen by a score of 11-0.

Can anyone provide a link?

Maniac

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
An historic match, even though it's probably one of the worst matches ever, and is arguably the worst ever final of a major event in America. I remember it well.

This match, played in 2001, proved the beginning of the end for the soft break and for that reason alone this match should be celebrated. Hence, if you didn't see it back then, I can understand why you'd want to see it.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
If you have a taste for torture and I mean Medieval like torture then this is the video for you. Not since Game of Thrones have, I seen someone enjoy inflicting so much hurt on a person as Corey did on Mika.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If you have a taste for torture and I mean Medieval like torture then this is the video for you. Not since Game of Thrones have, I seen someone enjoy inflicting so much hurt on a person as Corey did on Mika.

The looks of pain on Mika's face.....priceless!

Maniac

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
An historic match, even though it's probably one of the worst matches ever, and is arguably the worst ever final of a major event in America. I remember it well.

This match, played in 2001, proved the beginning of the end for the soft break and for that reason alone this match should be celebrated. Hence, if you didn't see it back then, I can understand why you'd want to see it.

Nothing wrong with the soft break. If you win, you can and should break the balls any way you want. Break rules are what’s holding the game back. Don’t want a guy soft breaking? Play 10 ball.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with the soft break. If you win, you can and should break the balls any way you want. Break rules are what’s holding the game back. Don’t want a guy soft breaking? Play 10 ball.

I agree. After years and years of doing it one way a person discovers a better way, wins using it, and then they make rules against it. What ever happened to progress???

Breaking from the box I don't have a big problem with, but this break rule where any combination of 3 balls must be pocketed and/or put past the head string is a crock of sh*t. A breaker makes a ball, puts another ball past the head string and gives up the table??? Pure BS in my opinion.

Maniac (don't fix it if it ain't broke)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree. After years and years of doing it one way a person discovers a better way, wins using it, and then they make rules against it. What ever happened to progress??? ...
The problem is that some innovations change the game significantly. There has been a long history of this in cue sports, from carom billiards (multiple times) to English billiards (multiple times) to, now, nine ball. You have to strike a balance between tradition an innovation. I don't think there is a good solution for 9 ball yet.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I've seen it before, but I don't remember how it was shown or who put it out there. I can tell you that I saw it on a free stream or video.

The only memory I have of it is the sour look on Mika's face for most of the match (but this isn't why I want to watch it again though).

Maniac

I think somebody posted it on YouTube years ago in violation of copyright

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Agreed that the soft break requires a great amount of skill and that Corey mastered it more than anyone else. Karen Corr also mastered it and gave her WPBA foes a big serving of soft breaking. More power to her.

The problem, as most saw it back then, was that the soft break made the game more boring to watch, offering slower and more repetitious play. It was outlawed for the reason that the hard break made the game more exciting.

I think they did the right thing.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

The soft break and magic rack is extremely detrimental to 9 ball. If you watch the matches from that US open where Deuel won, you'll notice that a lot of games were ended by playing early combinations. He was barely breaking them apart at all. The matches were boring as hell.

Even Grady commentating couldn't save this God awful final. I'm by no means an Immonen fan boy. I respect his game, only met him once, he was reserved but friendly. Nothing went right for him in this match, it's hard to watch, even when you're not rooting for somebody.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is a good solution for 9 ball yet.

The solution to 9-ball is longer races and winner breaks.

Make the races to 21, or more.

I haven't seen anybody run 21 racks in a row yet in a tournament.

The short races are crap shoots and alternate break is BS. The winner should never have to give up the table until they miss.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a solution but I've only seen in used once. The nine ball is racked on the spot and you must break from the opposite spot. The soft break will not work so well (or at all) now.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
The soft break and magic rack is extremely detrimental to 9 ball. If you watch the matches from that US open where Deuel won, you'll notice that a lot of games were ended by playing early combinations. He was barely breaking them apart at all. The matches were boring as hell.

Even Grady commentating couldn't save this God awful final. I'm by no means an Immonen fan boy. I respect his game, only met him once, he was reserved but friendly. Nothing went right for him in this match, it's hard to watch, even when you're not rooting for somebody.

Yeah, they’ve definitely won over a ton more fans by increasing the break speed in 9b. We have millions tuning in on ESPN daily.

Seems pool was televised when they were soft breaking. Now, they’re hitting them harder, and have even less fans watching. Face it, to the casual observer, pool is boring, regardless of break speed, break rules, and template/rack debates.