Which Champions Won't Be Attending The DCC??

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I was just wondering which champion-top players won't be attending the DCC & why they would even think about missing the biggest pool event of the year.:confused:

I think that the expense of a week at the DCC is a poor excuse. Pool players make bad games & blow their $$$ all year long. A top player could easily go on 'the grind' to get the money up for the expense of a week.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I believe Tommy Kennedy, Tony Robles, Dennis Hatch, Tony Crosby and Buddy Hall will all be at the Windy City Open that week.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I believe Tommy Kennedy, Tony Robles, Dennis Hatch, Tony Crosby and Buddy Hall will all be at the Windy City Open that week.
Eydie runs a first class event & I know she has been working incredibly hard to make this year even bigger & better. Like Eydie says, there is time for pros to attend both. If you were to travel to the Midwest, why not go to both & get the benefit of both events. Makes it even more implausable that a pro wouldn't be around this time of the year for the WindyCityOpen & DCC.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
If I had to wager I would say Keith will not be in attendance, or at least he hasn't been in the recent past. I hope I am wrong because he is one of the most entertaining players in the world. Although he may not still be considered a "champion" by some, it would be a shame if he were to be absent at the annual gambling festival.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Keith definitely fits the champion-pro-top player that should be @The DCC. If he is not going, I can't see a good reason why not. Most pool cities are lacking action, Washington DC-Virginia included, so a chance to attend the largest action atmosphere of the year vs sitting at home? Is there really a choice?

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I know last year the JAM said that this was a very busy time in her line of work and it would be difficult to attend. FWIW

Hard to make pizza without the dough.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I would find another player to go with and split expenses. You won't see too many players @The DCC going alone or being a 'single corporation'.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
I was just wondering which champion-top players won't be attending the DCC & why they would even think about missing the biggest pool event of the year.:confused:

I think that the expense of a week at the DCC is a poor excuse. Pool players make bad games & blow their $$$ all year long. A top player could easily go on 'the grind' to get the money up for the expense of a week.

If the past is any indication, probably none of the Taiwanese champions will be there.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
If the past is any indication, probably none of the Taiwanese champions will be there.
That's sad too, Max Eberle, Ralph Souquet & numerous Filipinos are always in attendance.

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
That's sad too, Max Eberle, Ralph Souquet & numerous Filipinos are always in attendance.

Is Dennis Orcollo the only player from the Philippines who is attending? What about Efren Reyes, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Manalo, Luat, etc?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren's Thursday flight was cancelled.

f210 said:
Is Dennis Orcollo the only player from the Philippines who is attending? What about Efren Reyes, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Manalo, Luat, etc?

Efren is coming to the USA perhaps to the Hardtimes first on Sunday now.

christyd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:

Hey Watchez

I believe someone said that Nick Varner wouldn't be there this year. Did he mention it when he was in St. Louis?

Christy

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
christyd said:
Hey Watchez

I believe someone said that Nick Varner wouldn't be there this year. Did he mention it when he was in St. Louis?

Christy
Nick isn't a real talker, even though this time when I saw him he did a little more. I got the impression he won't be there, most likely a health issue. I was kinda surprised because if he is out selling cues, the DCC would be a good place for him to put his name out there (not that Nick Varner needs any more recognition).

How about the champion Christy D? Is she gonna be there?

T

Timberly

I wouldn't expect to see Nick Varner back at the DCC. I don't know Mr. Varner personally but we do have a mutual friend who speaks to Mr. Varner on a fairly regular basis. This friend and I have not spoken about this in about a yr but at that time, I was told not to expect to see Mr. Varner at the DCC... in the near future and quite possibly ever.

The statement has no bearing on the tournament itself but is due to having the unfortunate "luck" of being the place where Mr. Varner had his heart attack. Becuase of this, Mr. Varner doesn't have the fondest of memories when it comes to the DCC venue.

Again, I can't say that this is for certain because I didn't hear this from Mr. Varner himself but I trust that what I heard, or at least remember enough of to relate, is the truth.

Coming from a fan's standpoint, this is sad news but looking at it from Mr. Varner's perspective, it's totally understandable. :(

christyd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Nick isn't a real talker, even though this time when I saw him he did a little more. I got the impression he won't be there, most likely a health issue. I was kinda surprised because if he is out selling cues, the DCC would be a good place for him to put his name out there (not that Nick Varner needs any more recognition).

How about the champion Christy D? Is she gonna be there?

Champion..NOT.... LOL
If I'm not mistaken, Nick has only played at the DCC 2 or 3 times. If you ask me, doesn't make much sense.

yeah I'll be there for a couple of days toward the end of the week. How about you?

christyd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally forgot that Nick had his heart attack at the DCC. Guess I can't blame him for not wanting to relive that memory

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
christyd said:
Champion..NOT.... LOL
If I'm not mistaken, Nick has only played at the DCC 2 or 3 times. If you ask me, doesn't make much sense.

yeah I'll be there for a couple of days toward the end of the week. How about you?
Be there the same time. I'll be with Scotty---Bobby Jr. coming down too?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
I wouldn't expect to see Nick Varner back at the DCC. I don't know Mr. Varner personally but we do have a mutual friend who speaks to Mr. Varner on a fairly regular basis. This friend and I have not spoken about this in about a yr but at that time, I was told not to expect to see Mr. Varner at the DCC... in the near future and quite possibly ever.

The statement has no bearing on the tournament itself but is due to having the unfortunate "luck" of being the place where Mr. Varner had his heart attack. Becuase of this, Mr. Varner doesn't have the fondest of memories when it comes to the DCC venue.

Again, I can't say that this is for certain because I didn't hear this from Mr. Varner himself but I trust that what I heard, or at least remember enough of to relate, is the truth.

Coming from a fan's standpoint, this is sad news but looking at it from Mr. Varner's perspective, it's totally understandable. :(

So it was a heart attack and not a stroke? I heard it both ways.

T

Timberly

Nostroke said:
So it was a heart attack and not a stroke? I heard it both ways.
I honestly can't say which it was because I do not remember. Heart attack is what came to mind last night but I could be wrong. It happened during my hiatus from pool and I only heard it mentioned a time or two last yr. I shouldn't have stated heart attack without being positive that's what it was. Sorry to add to the confusion. :eek:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Taiwanese for sure

Well almost for sure anyway- I just checked the WPA calendar and there are 2 important Pro tournaments going on in Taiwan at the same time as the DCC.