AZ room

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
boradriver said:
Any info on what is or has been going on in the AZ room?

Thanks
Bora

BD,
Always a bit slow the first few days. We had a number of players spending some quality time in the room...including one of world's great "unknown" straight pool players - poolshark52. What a TREMENDOUS experience seeing him run a 70 in about 5 minutes on the front table in the room. A class player, beautiful slip stroke....hard to believe that someone can play pool like that and decide to get a real job instead. Definitely the highlight of the week so far. I'm hoping I can get a lesson from him later this week; I've never seen such an elegant, old-school straight pool game.

As always, there is a very high standard of play in the room. The blowhards with no game evidently don't show up at DCC; EVERYONE plays better than me. I had a couple of great sets with satman (VNEA Hall of Famer), something I look forward to every year. IronDon55 was there again, I always enjoy watching him play. Steve Lomako played in the billiards event, so we didn't see him much in the room.

Jeanette Lee came by Friday evening, but NO ONE WOULD GIVE UP THEIR TABLE TO PLAY HER, so she left (I believe that is the first time that has ever happened to her). She did come back later and played a short time before having to leave for the Banks Ring Game.

Corey Deuel was by for a short time (received a jumping lesson from Jeanette). Mark Griffin brought a Balabushka by, and let us all hit with it as much as we wished.

JoeyA actually made it to the venue unexpectedly...wait til you see his case in Billiards Digest....well above average. I'll be back to Louisville on Tuesday night, and hope to see you all there.

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
boradriver said:

Thanks
Bora
This guy was hanging around in there, but we finally got rid of him -- for a day or so anyway :)

240332463-L.jpg

I'll have more pics up when I have time...

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
1pocket said:
This guy was hanging around in there, but we finally got rid of him -- for a day or so anyway :)

I'll have more pics up when I have time...

SB,
If you are letting guys like THAT hang out in the room, you are REALLY lowering your standards. Maybe next year we should adjust our standards.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
You always look like you're having a great time WBM! Wish I could have made it this year! You guys have fun and keep us updated!

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would someone not give up the table or atleast ask her to play with them?

I'm sorry to say I may have had something with JoeyA showing up sorry for that. Just kind about being sorry I actually was hoping he was going to be able to make it. He is one of the people I look forward to see every year including yourself.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
boradriver said:
Why would someone not give up the table or atleast ask her to play with them?

I'm sorry to say I may have had something with JoeyA showing up sorry for that. Just kind about being sorry I actually was hoping he was going to be able to make it. He is one of the people I look forward to see every year including yourself.

BD,
I have NO IDEA why they were not interested.....I guess they just like playing pool, and didn't want to stop (when I mentioned to one player that we have always vacated a table for pro's, he said, "sure, as soon as we finish this race to 2 in one-pocket" - Jeanette did not want me to press the issue or call the Room Goons, and just left).

It IS an official policy to vacate Table #1 for the pro's, and it is now prominently posted in the room. No big deal, but I suspect several players in the room wouldn't have minded a game or two with the Black Widow - it's kind of fun, and is one of the main reasons for the existence of the AZB room.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
BD,
I have NO IDEA why they were not interested.....I guess they just like playing pool, and didn't want to stop (when I mentioned to one player that we have always vacated a table for pro's, he said, "sure, as soon as we finish this race to 2 in one-pocket" - Jeanette did not want me to press the issue or call the Room Goons, and just left).

It IS an official policy to vacate Table #1 for the pro's, and it is now prominently posted in the room. No big deal, but I suspect several players in the room wouldn't have minded a game or two with the Black Widow - it's kind of fun, and is one of the main reasons for the existence of the AZB room.

Not to tell you how to run the room(you and Steve have done a great job) but maybe you should keep it in mind and next year if those two players what to enjoy the room would should remind them of the policy when top pros want to make use of the table. If you have any further problems with them just let them know they are not welcome to use the tables in the AZ room any longer. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding and they maybe didn't understand the policy.

Watch the live action on TAR has got me geared up and ready to get there.

By the way I want to try and play a few games of your choice this year.

Thanks

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolshark52

Williebetmore said:
BD,
We had a number of players spending some quality time in the room...including one of world's great "unknown" straight pool players - poolshark52. What a TREMENDOUS experience seeing him run a 70 in about 5 minutes on the front table in the room. A class player, beautiful slip stroke....hard to believe that someone can play pool like that and decide to get a real job instead. Definitely the highlight of the week so far. I'm hoping I can get a lesson from him later this week; I've never seen such an elegant, old-school straight pool game.
Don,

Pat H. (aka poolshark52) is very well known in the Northeast. I've seen him run many 100's. You should see him play on new Simonis with polished balls. I saw him go over 200 once under such conditions. Like you said Pat's stroke is a beautiful thing to watch. That old Palmer of his gets pretty grungy looking with the powder caked up on the wrap. I've actually seen him sand the powder off!!. I'm sure he's having a good time with a lot of the Rochester crowd down there. I'll be getting there Thursday. See you then........Paul

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
boradriver said:

Thanks
Bora
i stopped in
met a few people that i knew i'd forget thier names by the time i got back home :rolleyes:
should have wrote them down i guess
there's a lady running around taking pictures , but, i don't know where she posts them

King Chili

Registered
BHQ said:
i stopped in
met a few people that i knew i'd forget thier names by the time i got back home :rolleyes:
there's a lady running around taking pictures , but, i don't know where she posts them

BHQ, Here are some of the photos. I might be in one of them. :rolleyes: Nice talkin' to ya this weekend.

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
This thread makes me wish even more to be at the DCC... sighhhhh. I hope you have a great time there !

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I'm here. Boradriver is playing 1p with an older gentleman. No one else is in the room. I wish I had brought a mouse. I hate this finger pad thingy.

Last edited:

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
i stopped in

if she is a petite blonde, it is Dianne Hoppe - she is a funny lady :p her photos are posted on the main page in the galleries. have a blast!

oh and go Boradriver go!! :eek:

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Well I broke out the whooping stick and knocked some around with Russ Chewning and Williebetmore. Both are very good players. I also got to watch JoeyA run out like water.

Got to say hello to Fred (cornerman), Timberly, Sarah Rousey, Derek Disco, and others.

Now it's back to the action.

Later

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Hal said:
Well I broke out the whooping stick and knocked some around with Russ Chewning and Williebetmore. Both are very good players. I also got to watch JoeyA run out like water.

Got to say hello to Fred (cornerman), Timberly, Sarah Rousey, Derek Disco, and others.

Later
Thanks for the update. I figured that room would be full of people 24/7 since 80 people paid.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I got a chance to play a few small sets.. One race to 35 at 14.1 with Willie, which was fun but not nearly long enough. Got to play some banks with a fellow named Dave?? White hair, beard from Georgia, thats all I know and one other who's name slips my mind (that happens to me a lot).

The room was great as usual. I have always contributed my small part to the room but this is the first year that I had actually played in the room. Plan to take more time next year and hopefully get to tangle with some of the pro's if they promise to have mercy on me.

Willie, it was great to see you once again. I hope that we can get together in the near future for some more straight pool. Hopefully a longer race than 35. Thanks for helping organize the room once again. I am back at work and hating reality this week, sure wish I was still there.

JBK

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Hal said:

Later

Well, I played well on and off over the couple of days I've been here. Against you, I was getting out from everywhere. A few days later, my stroke completely went away and I got drilled by easy-e. O well, at least me and Joey won the most beers playing partners One Pocket and Banks against easy-e and Deadpoked. After being awake for about 30 hours, I was becoming an albatross around JoeyA's neck, but did contribute my part to winning a few nice games. It was just one of those nights. :D :D

Russ