how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not posted in a while . I do have few things I wanna say but will make 3-4 posts instead of one long one. One will be kinda long by itself any way.

As I have said many times...my game goes up and down from week to week. Overall this session I better than the last few as far as win percentage goes.

Sunday night I played 9 ball against a 6 who shot bad. How bad ? How bout me winning 38-12 for a 19-1 score ? It his seems like.his head was not in it and I can empathize cause I have been there many times

Played a 7 in 8 ball. I think his head was in the same place their 6 was. I won 3-0

I out right won the 1 st rack. He scratched on the 8 2nd rack. He made the 8 in the wrong pocket the 3 rack when he jacked up trying not to scratch and the 8 bounced off the rail going across the table into the opposite corner pocket.

Winter has arrived and the cold causes quite a bit of pain in my shooting hand due to nerve damage I have..also my work.slows down every winter which slows down my finances . Those 2 things combined led me to dropping off 3 teams this past week.

I now just play on 3 teams I am captain of and masters once a month.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last weekend I played In an apa.sponsored 8 ball team cash tournament.

1,000.00.added with a full field of 16 teams. We only had 14 teams and only 640.00 added if memory is correct. 340.00 per team entry fee.

Prize money..................calcutta
1st 2,700.....................1,500.00. Total 4,200.00

2nd. 1,400.00...............700.00. total 2,100.00

3rd. 800.00.................380.00. Total. 1,180.00

4th 500.00.................00. total 500.00

Total purse 7,980.00

The first 2 rounds I did not play my greatest but managed to win 4-0 and 4-2

3 round I played a darn good 6 who has been a 7 a couple of times. We were hill-hill .i played a safe and he made a 2 rail lick to make the 8 . Helluva shot to win it.

4 th round I won 4-2. We lost and wound up in 5 th place .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now for a long winded post concerning issues that cause some people to dislike leagues.

Assholes and rule book lawyers.

I am approaching 1200 matches in apa and can count on one hand the number of times I encountered issues with the above.yep 5 times total. It just so happens that 3 of those times are with the same captain.

. A lil history first. We are former team mates. A guy who I was friendly with and had invited to my house a few times to play pool and had team parties there.

The first incident was a couple sessions ago..he had a 5 th player show up just before the 4 th round started. When i threw my players for 8 and 9 the 4 th doin he did not throw her..i advised him he needed to throw her as she could not play her both matches in the 5 th round. He refused to throw her and I advised him he would have to forfeit either 8 or 9 as i was not staying all night for her to finish one match and then play the other match.again he refused .

5 th round comes and he throws her in 8 ball.i said I guess you are forfeiting 9 then..correct? Well be went off like a rocket on me ...accusing me of using the rule book to gain a win....stating I was afraid of losing to his team ...accusing me of not wanting to win on the table but by a rule book. Etc...etc..he was jumping up and down yelling and flailing his arms around and the room owner came over and told him to chill out. He then said...i am begging you....dont make me forfeit. I relented and we stayed there for over an hour longer than necessary waiting for her to finish both matches.he thanked me and said he would return the favor.
Next session I am in the same situation he was. He refused to allow me any leeway. He said it was against the rules. I was livid! I cussed him out for an asshole...sob
..and mother fvcker at least 6 times each name. As a result I forfeited 2 matches.

Next time we faced him I was home sick and was not going to league. My co captain txts me saying he was treatening to make us forfeit as another player did not ago uo also. Rules state you van allow a replay as long as you dont go over 23. He wanted a forfeit instead of a replay. I got up and went amd we played without incident.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing a project at home and was running late. As I was pulling into the parking lot at the pool hall my co captain txts me saying he was talking that forfeit crap again as we only had 4 there at starting time. I walked in at 7:03 lol

4 th round comes and the asshole is not at their table. Rules state he has 2 minutes to throw or forfeit. I wait 4 minutes and tell his team that it's way past deadline for them to throw and I guess he forfeits the remaining matches. O w player jumps up with the scoresheets and runs looking for him..he comes running back and says I am throwing these 2 player. I say ...5 th round right as you just forfeited the 4 th..damn you never heard a grown man whine so much. I told him that I was gonna let him play them because I just could not bring myself to be as big am ass hole as he was but that was 3 strikes against him and there would not be a 4th..

Well he got on the phone with the lo.then. Evidently he did not like what the lo.said because when he got off he grab a his cues...slammed them in his case and stomped outa the pool hall lol.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well... I didn't really play league this session. I played half, and then called it quits. Just a bit too much league pool for me, I guess. I'm still going to make a lot of money at the end of the year, despite not playing half.

But, my real league story is that I met a guy about... 6 months ago. APA 3/4 on bar tables. Couldn't figure out how to win. Could make balls most of the time. I took him under my wing and guaranteed I could make him an APA SL-6 in a year.

Well, I was wrong. He called me this weekend to tell me he was just raised to an SL-6 after several weeks of beating (most) every players he's faced at a wide skill range. I was actually surprised he didn't go up about a month ago. His scores were right on that edge of SL-6 (I didn't have the scores, just the reports, so they could have been off a few innings).

So, I was wrong. I didn't help him become an SL-6 in a year. It was about 6 months.

The secret for this particular level jump? Pattern and position play. He already has a pretty decent stroke, so it wasn't much to tweak to get a pretty consistent transfer. But, I worked through what I call the "Standard Five Shots" of position play (other instructors have their own names for them), which I'll call out if you ever hear me on commentary. And yes, they all have english involved as well as no-english baseline.

I'll go back to that post where I said I could make any good SL-5 and above an SL-7 in 8-ball in a year. I'm totally convinced now.

Freddie <~~~ not the Mosconi coach

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... I didn't really play league this session. I played half, and then called it quits. Just a bit too much league pool for me, I guess. I'm still going to make a lot of money at the end of the year, despite not playing half.

But, my real league story is that I met a guy about... 6 months ago. APA 3/4 on bar tables. Couldn't figure out how to win. Could make balls most of the time. I took him under my wing and guaranteed I could make him an APA SL-6 in a year.

Well, I was wrong. He called me this weekend to tell me he was just raised to an SL-6 after several weeks of beating (most) every players he's faced at a wide skill range. I was actually surprised he didn't go up about a month ago. His scores were right on that edge of SL-6 (I didn't have the scores, just the reports, so they could have been off a few innings).

So, I was wrong. I didn't help him become an SL-6 in a year. It was about 6 months.

The secret for this particular level jump? Pattern and position play. He already has a pretty decent stroke, so it wasn't much to tweak to get a pretty consistent transfer. But, I worked through what I call the "Standard Five Shots" of position play (other instructors have their own names for them), which I'll call out if you ever hear me on commentary. And yes, they all have english involved as well as no-english baseline.

I'll go back to that post where I said I could make any good SL-5 and above an SL-7 in 8-ball in a year. I'm totally convinced now.

Freddie <~~~ not the Mosconi coach

I told you before and.i am.saying it again....would love to.have you I'm my neck of the woods.

Lemme tell you about how most higher level.players are around here.

I was playing in a singles board qualifier. 9 ball. I faced an 8 . During the march I made a ball and the cue ball went opposite of where I intended to go. I muttered to myself...dang I did not mean for it to ho there.y opponent heard me and said...you used the wrong English.

While we were shaking hands after the match was over....which I won I asked him if he would like fo get together sometime and teach me a little bit. Told him drinks and table time was on me.

He replied....why. ? So you can new me worse than you did ? I replied no....if some.one worked with me and I improved I would be raised and you would not have to spot me 27 points like you do now. I told him that the less points he spotted me the harder it would be to beat him. He replied no thanks.

Better players usually dont want to help out lower level players due to the fear of losing to them when they improve.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I told you before and.i am.saying it again....would love to.have you I'm my neck of the woods.

I was playing in a singles board qualifier. 9 ball. I faced an 8 . During the march I made a ball and the cue ball went opposite of where I intended to go. I muttered to myself...dang I did not mean for it to ho there.y opponent heard me and said...you used the wrong English.

While we were shaking hands after the match was over....which I won I asked him if he would like fo get together sometime and teach me a little bit. Told him drinks and table time was on me.

He replied....why. ? So you can new me worse than you did ? I replied no....if some.one worked with me and I improved I would be raised and you would not have to spot me 27 points like you do now. I told him that the less points he spotted me the harder it would be to beat him. He replied no thanks.

Better players usually dont want to help out lower level players due to the fear of losing to them when they improve.

That's a shame lorider. Here in the Austin area I've found it to be the opposite of your case. I started as a 4/4 and have gotten to a 7/7 and have found the better players love to help players. I find most 5s and below never improve because frankly they don't want to. They will take the time out coaching, but never truly want to work on anything outside of their league match which is fine. For many it's more social. I agree with Cornerman, I think most of the 4s in my area could get to a 6 fairly quickly if they just would work on pattern play and a few key shots that pop up over and over.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a shame lorider. Here in the Austin area I've found it to be the opposite of your case. I started as a 4/4 and have gotten to a 7/7 and have found the better players love to help players. I find most 5s and below never improve because frankly they don't want to. They will take the time out coaching, but never truly want to work on anything outside of their league match which is fine. For many it's more social. I agree with Cornerman, I think most of the 4s in my area could get to a 6 fairly quickly if they just would work on pattern play and a few key shots that pop up over and over.

Well the truth is I have been a 6 in both 8 and 9 ball before. I.became a 6 I. 8 ball a few years ago ...it lasted exactly one session..i used to try to run out every rack..when I was successful I won
.when.i did not run out I left a wide open table for my opponent to run out . Consequently win or lose it resulted in Very few innings each match and so I was raised.

I changed my style of play to more or less managing the table ...win record went up but so did innings and as a result handicap went down :grin-square:.

In 9 ball I have been raised to a 6 and lowered to a 5 a total of 4 times over the last year. Just inconsistent as heck in 9 ball..my 9 ball break sucks which leads to either a day break and my opponent runs out or I make some thing but have no who at the next ball lol..

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the truth is I have been a 6 in both 8 and 9 ball before. I.became a 6 I. 8 ball a few years ago ...it lasted exactly one session..i used to try to run out every rack..when I was successful I won
.when.i did not run out I left a wide open table for my opponent to run out . Consequently win or lose it resulted in Very few innings each match and so I was raised.

I changed my style of play to more or less managing the table ...win record went up but so did innings and as a result handicap went down :grin-square:.

In 9 ball I have been raised to a 6 and lowered to a 5 a total of 4 times over the last year. Just inconsistent as heck in 9 ball..my 9 ball break sucks which leads to either a day break and my opponent runs out or I make some thing but have no who at the next ball lol..

I knew from your posts you had been a 6 before and sounds like you have held your own in masters league and most importantly seem to have a great time at league. It's a shame the better players haven't been as helpful for ya. keep shooting em straight.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew from your posts you had been a 6 before and sounds like you have held your own in masters league and most importantly seem to have a great time at league. It's a shame the better players haven't been as helpful for ya. keep shooting em straight.

I hold my own ...as.you say...in masters only due to there being a couple of other 5's and some average 6's in it also lol

Against the big boys I can usually win a couple of 8 ball racks if we start with 8 1st and might get lucky wining a rack or so of 9 ball. When we g play 9 ball the big boys usually clean my clock with a lot of break and runs .

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had playoffs this week and as usual my game went up and down.

Sunday night playoffs.

Faced a 6 in 8 ball and won 4-2. He kept trying to run out every rack allowing me to play safes until I could run out. We qualified

Later I faced another 5 in 9 ball. I lost 38-30. My break sucked and he just shot better than me.we did not qualify

Monday night playoffs.

We already qualified in 8 ball so we just played 9.

I lost 31-30 to a 4. I shot better than him but my break sucked and he had a killer break...usually pocketing a ball or 2 and sometimes had an was shot at the next ball.we did not qualify

Thursday night is just 9 ball

Interesting how the matches played out

First match they threw a 4. I Countered with a 5..we won 16-4

2nd match I threw a 3 and they countered with a 1. They won 12-8

3rd match they threw a 5 and I countered with a 5. We won 14-6

So after 3 matches we are up 40-20 and its my throw..i only have a 4 and myself as a 5 left. They have their choice between 2-7's a 5 and a 4. Now I am thinking that mo matter who I throw they really have no choice but to throw one of their 7's.

Now I have beat both of their 7's during regular sessions but playoffs is a whole different ballgame and them being down by 20 points I am gonna see their best game.its probably gonna be a loss if I play.if they throw a 7 that means they still have room to throw a 5 the last match against my 4 which could result in another loss

So I decide to thro my 4 knowing the worst that could happen is a 20-0 loss if they throw a 7 which would result in a tie going into the last match. Sure enough they throw a 7 and he wins 15-5 making the score 45-35 in our favor

Sure enough they throw their last 5 against me.my scorekeeper totals up the points needed and tells.me I only need 30 points on a 38-38 race for us to win . I thought how ironic....i lost sunday38-30.....lost Monday...31-30 and now I only need 30 to win.

I win the lag and on the break I make a ball and have an was shot on the one....hallelujah ! ...the first time that has happened in forever !

I proceed to run all the way down to the 9 where I fall short of getting a decent shot and I have to now bank it back up table to a corner pocket. Missed by a couple inches...dang...cost me a break and run and he pockets the 9.

I am feeling good being up 8-2 after the 1st rack. He breaks and.makes 4 balls with one of them being the 9. Aw crap .. 5 points off the break putting him right back in the game only down 8-7 on just one break.

Long story short....the 5 the rack ends with him getting an un lucky roll scratching on the 9.. My scorekeeper tells me its now at 29-21 in my favor and I only need 1 ball for us to win. She then tells me to make a ball and dont scratch. I reply....you know who you talkin too ? The worst breaker in the league as a 5.

Well I not only made a ball on the break and not scratch...i made 2 more for good measure. It's been forever since I have done that .

I.decided on the last break to move to the right side rail on the headstring as my usual one diamond off and one diamond down and the head spot was not working either.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Played APA Double Jeopardy last night at a small sports bar near my house.

9 Ball - I'm a SL4 played a SL3 won 31-20. Had a couple of opportunities to run out and didnt. Made a lot of stupid mistakes, but it is what it is. Just need to keep on improving.

8 Ball - Didn't play this week. We have a couple of folks on the team that need some plays so we are all eligible to play in Qualifiers in a couple weeks. We are in 3rd play and won 8-5 last night so with the bonus pts should be 10pts for the week (really helps us out).

Sunday I have playoffs for qualifers in a pool room that I actually got thrown out of many years ago. Going to show up anyways, keep my big mouth shut and just kick some ass. Will keep you guys posted on how we do.

goombavskoopa

Registered
Sunday playoffs was a sucess but stressful.

Double Jeperady played both 8 and 9 ball.

8 ball out of the gate was down 6-0 came back and won 7-7 (we won last 3 matches). Our best player won 3-0, our SL5 won 2-0 and our SL 3 won 2-1. Came right down to the 8 ball on the last rack. Felt sick to my stomach the entire time. What's crazy is the team we played was so disrespectful it's pathetic. Sharking my players the entire time and refused to shake my hand before and after the match. really poor sportsmanship from those guys.

9 ball we also snuck out a victory. First match lost 12-8. Second match won 13-7 third match 13-7 fourth match loss 12-8. Final match we put up our SL9 looking to draw out their SL7........the ducked the 9 with an under handicapped SL4. My player is playing even with this kid till he get pissed and starts breaking and running every rack after that. He ended up winning 13-7 when it's all said and done.

Onto qualifiers in Feburary. Too close for comfort this time around.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball we also snuck out a victory. First match lost 12-8. Second match won 13-7 third match 13-7 fourth match loss 12-8. Final match we put up our SL9 looking to draw out their SL7........the ducked the 9 with an under handicapped SL4. My player is playing even with this kid till he get pissed and starts breaking and running every rack after that. He ended up winning 13-7 when it's all said and done.

I see people do that a lot. They would have been much better to play their 7. I would think a 3 to 5 would lose to a 9. But a 1 or 2 can get lucky a few times and they can beat a 9. Glad you guys won. Congrats.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

I try to help players I consistently beat as much as I can.

I would rather play and lose to someone for two hours than beat someone for two hours. Which I used to do and that greatly improved my game.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unfortunately most pool players have a rather large ego, thus, they want to be the rooster in the hen house. In addition, I have met quite a few players that don't want any help as again, their egos will not allow them to ask for help. They view asking for help as a weakness. Most of these guys/gals progression is very slow, and they plateau, never really getting better.

If you want to get better, look at some of the many drills and exercises on the internet, and take them to the pool table. Don't do them until you are bored, but do them often for 10-20 minutes, and I think you will surprised with the results. They really can improve your consistency, shot making, and position play.

There are many players out there that will help and mentor a player with lesser skills than themselves. This guys you spoke of wants to be the rooster in the hen house. :)

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball = SL 8
8 ball = SL 7
Last Tuesday 8 ball I got beaten by a SL 5 3-0...Then Thursday in 9 ball I played a SL7. The ball count race was 65-55. I beat him 65-30 LOL...No rhyme or reason to it. I'M VERY INCONSISTENT!!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Two table runs in as many weeks in 8 ball. Team was tied for fourth but we only took one of four last night.

Worst table I've played on to date. 1" rip in cloth rt in front of a pocket, two holes in the cloth at the head rack position. The balls had little chunks out of them and had little half circles in all of them like they were spun in a drier w rocks.

I said to their captain if I would have known it balls were this bad I would have given you my old cheap set.

goombavskoopa

Registered
I see people do that a lot. They would have been much better to play their 7. I would think a 3 to 5 would lose to a 9. But a 1 or 2 can get lucky a few times and they can beat a 9. Glad you guys won. Congrats.

thanks man, appreciate it. Qualifiers are in Feburary. I'll let you guys know how we do. trying to reach vegas for the first time. I have a very strong team. Just need to play our cards right and stroke the cues straight.