how are ya'll doing in league ?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang in there, man!
You're never supposed to lose that match but sometimes we do. It's those losses that you need to learn from. Never take an opponent for granted and always give every shot your utmost attention. If you do that you will very rarely, if ever, lose to someone like that.

Play the tournament and put it in your rearview mirror

Good advice... I think I started out really easy on her because I knew it should be a cake walk. Should have taken her more seriously. I was having to spot her a ton of points.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, so this is not really a league the post, but it is a post on my normal league night. Because of the Easter weekend, my league did not have to play. So my buddy and I went to our local bar, which has 7 foot diamond smart tables. These aren’t easy tables, but they are 7 footers.

I had the afternoon off, and I normally don’t play social bar pool, but I decided to play anyway. Most of the players that go here have their own cues and know at least BcAPL rules. I know you all are world beaters and you all have held the table forever. This was one of those times. From 130pm to about 6pm, I didn’t lose a game. I had well over ten break & runs, and probably only four games that went to 3 innings. All with a house cue. I had a three pack in 8-ball and a few doubles. People tell me I had over twenty break and runs. It probably was 15 then.

My friend told me and other bar patrons tell me that it’s easily the best they’ve seen me play and best they’ve seen anyone play. It’s a nice feeling to have so many decent players come up to me and be my groupie for a day.

Most of these players that I played are SL-6 or SL-7 with a couple of SL-8s.

The difference was a few things. On league night, you’re limited to a handful of games. But when you get to do a stretch run, you get to hit peak. I was definitely peaked after ten games. The other was that I didn’t get many bad rolls. When a top shooter gets rolls too, yeah forget about it.

That all being said, that was the other day. Today, it’s back to normal sucky amateur shit.

Freddie <~~~ king for a day

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, so this is not really a league the post, but it is a post on my normal league night. Because of the Easter weekend, my league did not have to play. So my buddy and I went to our local bar, which has 7 foot diamond smart tables. These aren’t easy tables, but they are 7 footers.

I had the afternoon off, and I normally don’t play social bar pool, but I decided to play anyway. Most of the players that go here have their own cues and know at least BcAPL rules. I know you all are world beaters and you all have held the table forever. This was one of those times. From 130pm to about 6pm, I didn’t lose a game. I had well over ten break & runs, and probably only four games that went to 3 innings. All with a house cue. I had a three pack in 8-ball and a few doubles. People tell me I had over twenty break and runs. It probably was 15 then.

My friend told me and other bar patrons tell me that it’s easily the best they’ve seen me play and best they’ve seen anyone play. It’s a nice feeling to have so many decent players come up to me and be my groupie for a day.

Most of these players that I played are SL-6 or SL-7 with a couple of SL-8s.

The difference was a few things. On league night, you’re limited to a handful of games. But when you get to do a stretch run, you get to hit peak. I was definitely peaked after ten games. The other was that I didn’t get many bad rolls. When a top shooter gets rolls too, yeah forget about it.

That all being said, that was the other day. Today, it’s back to normal sucky amateur shit.

Freddie <~~~ king for a day

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! I've never had one that good, but those days when you're playing at your best are always a blast. Enjoy it and remember it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheesh, I get upset when I have a night that I am NOT playing pool LOL

The team captain and maybe the guy running the league needs to have a talk to players and say that if you are on the team, you have a team job to do, which is keep score at times when others are playing. Doing nothing but drinking and playing can be done on the crappy 7 footer in the corner with the bangers.

I was that way also for a few years. I played Monday...tuesday...Wednesday....Friday and Sunday. I decided to cut back because I was a lil too much at my age.

Now I want to cut back from back to back nights. Especially since i moved way the heck out in the country. I drive 35-40 miles to work Monday . Drive back home . I have a couple hours before league to rest up. I drive 35/40 miles to league that night. I arrive back home any where from 11;30-12:30. It usually takes me an hour to unwind and fall asleep. I get up at 6:00 and drive to work again. We do t always work in the same place but it is usually 35-40 miles and when its downtown like it has been for the last couple months its an hour drive. Then 35-40 miles back home ...a couple hours rest and then a 35-40 mile drive to league again.

Well you get the picture. Aint as way as it used to be when I was younger.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Now I want to cut back from back to back nights. Especially since i moved way the heck out in the country. I drive 35-40 miles to work Monday . Drive back home . I have a couple hours before league to rest up. I drive 35/40 miles to league that night. I arrive back home any where from 11;30-12:30. It usually takes me an hour to unwind and fall asleep. I get up at 6:00 and drive to work again. We do t always work in the same place but it is usually 35-40 miles and when its downtown like it has been for the last couple months its an hour drive. Then 35-40 miles back home ...a couple hours rest and then a 35-40 mile drive to league again.

That's brutal, and would be for someone half your age. And you being the Captain on most of those teams, and the added responsibilities that come with it, make it especially tough.

Maniac

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's brutal, and would be for someone half your age. And you being the Captain on most of those teams, and the added responsibilities that come with it, make it especially tough.

Maniac

Maniac

Just how brutal depends on what I am doing at work on that particular league day.

Some days I may be saw cutting and jackhammering concrete inside a building and haul in it out to a dumpster in a wheelbarrow.

Another day I may be climbing up a 10 foot step ladder with an 80 pound steel pipe on my shoulder hanging it 12 feet off the floor.

Another day may be pretty easy running an excavator or a back hoe. I loom forward to those jobs because I am the only one on the crew that runs equipment so I know I am gonna have a few easy days.

Once in a great while I will have a real easy day riding with the boss just checkin jobs but those days are few and far between.

When playoffs or cities come I tell my boss before hand to either give me an easy day that day or I am gonna take that day off. He is pretty agreeable in those situations. The last thing I wanna do is be busting concrete all day and expect to play best that night cause it just dont happen at my age.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never posted any of my results this week so here goes.

Sunday night apa double jeopardy. Faced a 7 in 8 ball and lost 5-0. He just played on a whole different level than I . 9 ball was about as bad. Lost 38-28 to another 5.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night usapl.

I faced a 499 in 9 ball. I am a 495. Lemme tell you about this guy before I post about the match. When I get to league I see this guy who I had not seen In over a year. I notice he is a 499. I text the lo and ask wth is this guy doing rated a 499 ? He is right up there with the strongest players in town and is an apa 7/9. The lo texts me back and says thus guy had a bout with cancer and just getting back his strength and getting back to pool. I say ok. Well this guy mighta lost a lil weight over the Las year but aint lost a step when it comes to pool. He made so many efren like shots it was unbelievable.. .2-3 rail kicks. Banking all over the place. Busting out clusters and getting in the right side of the ball every time. He won 7-0.

I faced a 522 ....apa 6/7 later in 8 ball. I won 4-1

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thursday night 9 ball. I faced the same 7 that shut me out Sunday night in 8 ball. I lost 55-35...needing only 3 points to win. Happy I reached that score because he had me down 32-18 at one point.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our masters cities started today. I text the captain last night and asked him if he needed me today as we have 2 guys who occasionally work weekends. He said they both will be there. I said on so I may not show and go to a tournament that I played in last week and came in 2nd and got home at 3:30. I knew if I played in it I would not be worth a darn today if he needed me. He said to go if I wanted to that he had enough. Well I wound up not going because I had a rough day at work so I went to masters cities today instead. I told the captain I would rather sit out and us play our best line up. He says well you are part of the team too . I said yea...the worst part...lets win this thing.

Well our team lost the first round and won the next 3 rounds. Picks back up tomorrow but my Sunday team has a make up that conflicts with cities so I wont be at cities.

Oh yea....my masters team captain also happens to be the usapl lo. I was standing there talkin to him about monday night and said I dropped all the way down to a 475 after that beating from the apa 7/9 and say I can't believe I have fallen from a 511 over the last month. Well it just so happens my apa lo was standing there also and says ...a 511 ? well you oughta be a 7 in my league then. I say ...whut ?? He started laughing .

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Both me and my team got smoked last Tuesday... we only got one point from one of my players getting to the hill. Most of us just couldn't make a ball, just one of those nights. Odd, cuz we were playing at the one room that we play in that has larger pockets, old Brunswick tables. (Usually we play on Diamonds or tight Oldhausens)

My match in particular was against a strong 5 that I know very well, he used to play on my team, We always have good matches. He went out like a house-a-fire in the first game, then proceeded to 8-on-the break in the second game. Third game, he got out to a good start, i then ran the table to the 8, and proceeded to scratch. Took a coach with my 7, neither he nor I could have predicted that the cue ball would follow over into that pocket....sigh.

Next game, pretty much the same, save for once I got to the 8, he plays a safety, which made me have to kick at the 8. It was a reasonable shot, cross side, I was really expecting to have a chance at making the shot, not just getting a hit. Somehow I got the cue ball to miss the 8 completely and go into the side pocket. I couldn't believe it would miss the 8 and still go in, but I proved the theory to be incorrect, lol. :p

Rough night

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sitting out again for the second week in a row...stupid work. But hoping to return with a fury next week and destroy all that lies in my wake.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opened up our lead a little last night. We were up 8 points on 2nd place and ended up beating the 2nd place team 9-5. I played well against a pretty sporty SL-4. Fell down 2-0 in a race to 3 and came back and won 3-2. I am now 8-2 on the session.

I am still not happy with mt teams handicap situation. If we have a single person go up, we will have to sit our 2 best shooters. I encourage my team to try and make every shot and win every match. But we could realistically play ourselves out of having a competitive team...What I wouldn't give for a strong SL 2 or 3 ....

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opened up our lead a little last night. We were up 8 points on 2nd place and ended up beating the 2nd place team 9-5. I played well against a pretty sporty SL-4. Fell down 2-0 in a race to 3 and came back and won 3-2. I am now 8-2 on the session.

I am still not happy with mt teams handicap situation. If we have a single person go up, we will have to sit our 2 best shooters. I encourage my team to try and make every shot and win every match. But we could realistically play ourselves out of having a competitive team...What I wouldn't give for a strong SL 2 or 3 ....

Every body wants a strong 2 or 3 lol.

I have been saying on here that I need to cut back and I just agreed to start up a other team on Friday night. Guess I just love playing too much. Its an apa double jeapordy league.

I picked up 3 usapl players . 2 I believe will be strong 5's and one will be a strong 3 maybe 4 when their handicaps settle in. Heck one may wind up a good 6 but I hope not lol. I more than likely will add a very weak 3 that plays for me on my other teams. I mean real week ...she has lost several matches by scores of 17-3 or more. I keep her because she is dependable....keeps score without *****ing and does not mind being the sacrificial lamb against higher level players if i feel the need to match up that way. She is a real team player. Sometimes she has even volunteered to be dumped against a higher level player when she sees me thinking hard on how to match up against a player I know nobody on the team can beat. I also keep her because I can't seem to find a strong 2 or 3 either lol.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I love that -Strong 2 or 3. They are only a strong 2 or 3 for a very short while. They inevitably become 4's and 5's in a short time, then you have another problem.
If you manage their S/L too carefully they lose interest. You don't need strong 2's and 3's, you need 2's and 3's that are consistent. That will Naturally lose just
over 50% of their matches. In time they will get better and advance, but they really have no interest in practice unless the whole team is there for a social event
on the night before cities. You have to have them so the 6's and 7's can play

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sunday night was a fiasco of sorts. First off I could not go be with my masters team playing in the cities because my Sunday team had a previously scheduled make up on this day plus our regular scheduled match with them also. Oh yea...my masters team came in 3rd. Oh well...always next year.

My good 3 had national guard duty and would not make it for the early make up but would be there as soon as he could. My good 4 did not show ...again. I think he has girl problems. So that just left 4 of us us and I was pretty po'd about it. We have been in first place in 9 ball ever since the first week of the session and we were playing the 2nd place team.amd i wanted to keep first place in order to make tri cups without being in playoffs.

So my head was not on straight and it drastically affected my game. I lost 19-1 to another 5. Oh yea...it did not help matters either when my weak 3...who I mentioned in my previous post above lost 18-2 to a 2 in the match before mine. We lost 9 ball 70-30 The same 5 beat me 4-0 in 8 ball.

So on to our regular scheduled match. I faced the same 5 again in 8 ball and he won the first rack. About that time my good 3 shows up and I am also talking to myself about getting my head outa my rear end. I go on to win the next 4 in a row and win the match 4-1. Well they threw their 7 who showed up late against me in 9 ball. I went on a roll and buried him 38-29 for a 16-4 win. We managed to win the second set 55-45 and I hope that keeps us in first place going into the last week of the session next week.

I know how important your mindset is during a game but it still amazes me how you van lose 19-1 to a 5 and beat a 7 by 16-4 in the same night simply die to your mindset.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Showed up late last night, no warm ups, and promptly got my ass handed to me.

Koop - REALLY needs his warm ups

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Showed up late last night, no warm ups, and promptly got my ass handed to me.

Koop - REALLY needs his warm ups

I had the opposite issue recently, broke and ran first two games of 8 ball, then proceeded to miss my first shot on the 3rd which would have been a very rare 3 pack for me, and lost 3 in a row to lose the match. I am the Master of finding ways to loose from winning positions, with a capital M.