The Lion Alex Pagulayan vs T-Rex Tony Chohan HUGE Action Match Nov. 15-18th

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has played better. I am not talking about who left who what shot or played a better safe game. I am talking about he has “played better”. In all aspects. He wasn’t out maneuvered. He didn’t play his game. Dennis isn’t exactly a slouch or any of the other players he has played. He is on the big matches for a reason. And that reason is because he is considered one of the top 5 players in the world. Alex made plenty of mistakes and missed a lot of shots. The opportunities that Alex left behind, Tony just wasn’t shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match these guys are playing

Capture.jpg

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 685

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Got to watch some of that match, was really impressed with Evan. Good composure and really bore down on every ball. Thanks for the updates.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The match to see who is the best 1p player would be Alex vs Dennis !
But their going to pick off the 'close' ones before that comes off.
When it does come, it should be for huge $$$$$$ !
PPV should be a gold mine !
A lot of speculation that it may be in the Philippines . Love to see this one !
Matchroom....are you there ??
Yeah, but who is going to get in the middle of that?

Campbell vs Garner? Which way are you gonna bet?!!?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A necessary part of Tony's 'on' game is the hero/ circus shots working out.

That is heavy thing to have to lean on and playing the best, he needs them to work, to prevail.

He has played better. I am not talking about who left who what shot or played a better safe game. I am talking about he has “played better”. In all aspects. He wasn’t out maneuvered. He didn’t play his game. Dennis isn’t exactly a slouch or any of the other players he has played. He is on the big matches for a reason. And that reason is because he is considered one of the top 5 players in the world. Alex made plenty of mistakes and missed a lot of shots. The opportunities that Alex left behind, Tony just wasn’t shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah, but who is going to get in the middle of that?

Campbell vs Garner? Which way are you gonna bet?!!?

I would like a company to sponsor a match with Dennis and Alex...
...sorta like the Tiger vs Leftie thing.
..gotta be at least 100Gs.

It'll get viewed around the globe...:embarrassed2: sorry Max...the, uh, world

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Evan sneaks under radar some.

You can bet all the top one pocket players know who the guy is though.

He might not be that well known but the guy can flat out play one pocket, he's one of the top 10 American players imo .

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Evan sneaks under radar some.

You can bet all the top one pocket players know who the guy is though.

He might not be that well known but the guy can flat out play one pocket, he's one of the top 10 American players imo .

Is there going to be a rematch or another match with different players, today?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony is up and down... I've seen him play brilliantly, and at other times
make simple mistakes.. the dude CAN play.

I'll add my vote for a PPV, Robocop vs Lion... maybe a multi-day
event, best of three long races?

Dennis vs Alex.. let's do it, Pool Action!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony is up and down... I've seen him play brilliantly, and at other times
make simple mistakes.. the dude CAN play.

I'll add my vote for a PPV, Robocop vs Lion... maybe a multi-day
event, best of three long races?

Dennis vs Alex.. let's do it, Pool Action!
If the ppv revenue was six figures for them, they'd surely accommodate us...
But honestly, it is like funsies pool at this point in their careers

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I never even heard of the guy and he DESTROYS JJ?

For real... I don't think it's as lopsided as it looks though.

They had a big argument when the score was 3-3. Kind of silly imo.
JJ got really irate because he wanted Evan to clarify his intentions when he was on two and buried in the stack.
Evan didn't, he just kinda whacked at it and sold out.
JJ got so pissed about that... his composure got wrecked to the point where he goes outside for a minute...
comes back... is about to shoot the ball... then says fuсk it and goes outside AGAIN.

So it goes 3-3 (argument)... 4-4... then JJ goes on to lose 7 of the last 8.

Maybe if he doesn't have that argument, they're still playing as we speak.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
A necessary part of Tony's 'on' game is the hero/ circus shots working out.

That is heavy thing to have to lean on and playing the best, he needs them to work, to prevail.

Exactly. Against lesser competition, these demoralize the opponent and get them to play worse. Against world class killers, they realize he is shooting straight up in the air, and all they need to do is keep applying pressure and once a few of em wobble and sell out a few games, he's toast. As in... for the entire session.

Reminds me of a One Pocket match I was playing way back in the day.. It kept coming down to the last ball being down table and near a corner pocket. I'd pocket the ball and leave him on his side of the table, pegged in the pocket, with the last ball on the spot.The money was staying even, and this shot kept getting him back to even from being 1 game down.

My opponent kept shooting at the ball on the spot and cutting it back into his pocket. The third time he shot it, while I am racking for my break I told him straight up (with a little gamesmanship in mind..), "Hey man... I'm gonna keep giving you that shot... Because one of these times you are gonna hit it a hair fat and scratch in my pocket, and you'll never make that shot on me again."

And that's exactly what happened the next time he shot it. Hero shots can pull your bacon out of the fire, but as you said, they are nothing to rely on. Tony relies on them FAR too much at this point.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I never even heard of the guy and he DESTROYS JJ?

I played him in the Banks at DCC this year. And all I can say is... He's a definite threat to win the Banks, any time he plays in it.. I actually put a little heat on him, but he smoothed in all sorts of crazy off angle banks that needed to be hit with perfect speed and spin...

Realistically, when I saw he was playing JJ, I thought Evan might be a favorite, because he's young and just executes so much better than JJ.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I thought JJ just came up a little short on the execution...his shot selection was excellent. Evan was reading the stack and playing multi ball shots excellent, one game he grinded down and needed 2 of the last 3 and got them both on the same shot. There was some really good play...seemed like a very fair match. Advantage Revo haha

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Against lesser competition, these demoralize the opponent and get them to play worse. Against world class killers, they realize he is shooting straight up in the air, and all they need to do is keep applying pressure and once a few of em wobble and sell out a few games, he's toast. As in... for the entire session.

Reminds me of a One Pocket match I was playing way back in the day.. It kept coming down to the last ball being down table and near a corner pocket. I'd pocket the ball and leave him on his side of the table, pegged in the pocket, with the last ball on the spot.The money was staying even, and this shot kept getting him back to even from being 1 game down.

My opponent kept shooting at the ball on the spot and cutting it back into his pocket. The third time he shot it, while I am racking for my break I told him straight up (with a little gamesmanship in mind..), "Hey man... I'm gonna keep giving you that shot... Because one of these times you are gonna hit it a hair fat and scratch in my pocket, and you'll never make that shot on me again."

And that's exactly what happened the next time he shot it. Hero shots can pull your bacon out of the fire, but as you said, they are nothing to rely on. Tony relies on them FAR too much at this point.

I didn't watch the match (had a few other things going on) but what Russ has pointed out is absolutely true.

I've played several guys who, as a major component of their game, splash a lot of balls. Sometimes it works out and you are left to eat your liver because *everything* worked out perfect for them. But a lot of times, it dan't work out and a ball creeps back to your side leaving you straight in, or they leave a keyhole and a bank or an easy take-out, or more balls end up on your side than theirs.

When you're frequently going to the power shot to move a lot of balls as a major part of your game it's a minus because you can't control them all and that, IMO is a *huge* downside in a tough match. Sure, some times the BFG is great -- but most often the scalpel is better. Alex has a very sharp scalpel.

Lou Figueroa